Talk

Advanced search

To think I'm dying?

(14 Posts)
Glitterbug83 Fri 03-Nov-17 12:30:03

11 weeks and 1 day pregnant. As of 6 weeks I've had severe nausea with occasional vomiting and a disgusting taste in my mouth. As of yesterday, me, my mum and my 1 year old have all had a vomiting bug and been up the whole night. I feel like I am dying, literally. I haven't received my 12 weeks scan appointment on the NHS so I've booked one privately for this Sunday because I'm now freaked out so badly. This is insane. Was it silly of me to book the ultrasound privately? I so need some reassurance right nowconfused

Cornettoninja Fri 03-Nov-17 12:46:11

Oh bless you, have you been to the GP? There are things they can do to help and you may be dehydrated enough to need a quick IV.

Regarding your scan, I can see why you did and it's not a bad thing to do. I appreciate you feel awful but I think you need to get on the phone to your midwife/scanning unit. There's only a short window for measuring the fluid bit as a downs marker if you're having it done and it's not implausible for your dates to be out by a week or so this early. There are other tests but the scan is by far the easiest.

sayyouwill Fri 03-Nov-17 13:13:51

Is this your first?
I’m not asking that to sound patronising but the first time is so scary and weird, you never know if the aches and pains are normal or not!
Hope everything is okay!

GummyGoddess Fri 03-Nov-17 13:16:34

Go to your gp, you don't want to be admitted to hospital for dehydration like I was!

DunkMeInTomatoSoup Fri 03-Nov-17 13:17:52

If you were 'dying' you wouldnt be on here posting about it, you'd be quietly in a corner do it.

Julesbegone Fri 03-Nov-17 13:22:10

@sayyouwill have you read the OP? She says her, her Mum and her 1 year old have had a vomiting bug.

IWouldLikeToKnow Fri 03-Nov-17 13:26:23

You poor thing OP. The so called “winter vomiting bug” is horrendous. I still remember having it 13/14 yrs ago....you really do feel like you are going to die. And then add pregnancy into the mix !!! I understand how you booked a private scan. I contemplated it on a number of occasions on my son. You’re constantly looking for reassurance. Good luck x

Didntcomeheretofuckspiders Fri 03-Nov-17 13:28:15

Will the private ultrasound be offering combined screening if you want it? Have you telephoned the scan department at the hospital and asked about the appointment? They’ll be keen to fit you in before 12+6 and will do it as urgent if necessary. Have you had your booking appointment with the midwife yet? You should ring her if no luck with talking to scan directly.

With regards to the sickness, if you aren’t tolerating fluids and have been unwell for over 24 hours, you may need fluids. Telephone your GP who will advise if this is the case. If you get nowhere with them, you would speak to the early pregnancy unit (usually based on the gynae ward). They will try to avoid admitting you unless they really need to because of the risk of spreading the bug. Make sure you are sipping something like dioralyte regularly.

Fruitcorner123 Fri 03-Nov-17 13:31:42

Poor you sickness bugs in oregnancy are the pits. Ring the midwife or GP and explain you are worried about dehydration. It can happen very quickly. This is bad luck but you will feel better and the sickness from pregnancy normally passes between 12 and 16 weeks so hopefully wont be much longer for you. If you cab afford a private scan no reasob why not but equally you could chase your NHS one with the hospital. 2nd trimester will be better.

PandorasXbox Fri 03-Nov-17 13:33:35

Sounds horrendous OP. Could you ring to see when your 12 week scan is likely? It can’t be far off.

LizTaylorsFabulousTurban Fri 03-Nov-17 13:37:30

I wasn't pregnant when I had norovirus so didn't have the accompanying nausea and that was bad enough for me to ask the nurse in A&E if I was dying as I felt so appalling (fainted due to dehydration and ended up on a drip for 5 days).

ColinCreevy Fri 03-Nov-17 13:43:25

Oh god OP I feel for you. I had a really horrendous gastric bug when I was about 9 weeks. I ended up just sat on the loo sobbing and puking into a bowl. I've never felt so ill in my life, the stomach pains were agony. Try to keep fluids up and rest when you can. Chase up your NHS scan too when you're able.

KitKat1985 Fri 03-Nov-17 13:49:42

Oh poor you OP. Vomiting bugs are horrendous. If you are not keeping fluids down please phone 111 for advice. Sipping diarolyte can help rehydrate you.

Re: the scan, I'm surprised you didn't just chase your hospital for your date for your NHS scan. There could well only be a few days between your private and NHS scans in the end, which is fine, but just a bit of a waste of money paying for the private one when you are due your NHS one. But if you want the reassurance and can afford it then go for it.

As an aside, please don't go to the private scan at all unless you've been at least 48 hours clear of D&V so you don't spread the bug around.

InThisTogether Fri 03-Nov-17 14:02:40

Whilst I do appreciate you feel very ill, this post is REALLY tactless.
i feel like I'm dying, literally
Hmmm ... hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now