Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To have confronted this Oman whenever her dog licked my daughter’s face?

(123 Posts)
Goldenboots11 Thu 02-Nov-17 22:19:44

Context is daughter is 2 and quite frightened of dogs.

We were at the park today and it was full of children as schools are off here (N Ireland) and it’s still half term.

I was walking to the entrance of the park with my 2 & 4 year olds.

Party of 3 came walking past with their 3 dogs. One of the dogs came over to us and straight away licked my daughter’s face from chin to forehead. I wasn’t worried about the dog biting, it didn’t look cross iykwim, but my daughter was really upset. The dog was the same height as her, so I can see why she was scared.

The owners of the dog stopped and laughed and them walked on. They didn’t seem even remotely embarrassed.

I stood for a moment and thought, hang on that’s not really on.

I went after the owner in question and told her it’s not really ok for a dog to go around licking children on the face. It’s unhygenic and if she couldn’t control her dog it should be on a lead.

The women (age 50/60 ish) made a oooooohhhhhh sound and looked at me as if IWBVVVU

So is it ok for dogs to lick children on the face? I genuinely think it’s gross. My mum who was with me said I should have just let it go.

I was not rude or aggressive in any way but I just wanted the woman to know.

AIBU?

Goldenboots11 Thu 02-Nov-17 22:21:01

So on reading this back clearly I mean woman and not Oman and I guess I didn’t confront her, rather speak to her.

Minnn Thu 02-Nov-17 22:22:26

YANBU, that is beyond disgusting. I'd have been livid.

FenceSitter01 Thu 02-Nov-17 22:22:52

If you weren't aggressive why do you use aggressive words such as 'confront' which intimates hostile.

FenceSitter01 Thu 02-Nov-17 22:23:17

cross post - ignore me.

Neverenoughspoons Thu 02-Nov-17 22:25:04

I'd have said a lot more then you did! YWDNBU. That could easily cause a child to be even more bloody scared of dogs. Also a child could have immune system problems. She was totally out of order to have let it happen and for not immediately apologising to your daughter and to you.

notsohippychick Thu 02-Nov-17 22:25:27

YANBU. Bloody awful. I would have been livid.

Battleax Thu 02-Nov-17 22:25:36

YWNBU, but this will turn into a bun fight as all dog threads do. In fairness, most dog owners are far more reasonable than that particular woman was.

PurplePillowCase Thu 02-Nov-17 22:26:11

yanbu
perfect example of why all dogs should be on the lead in public places at all times.

Wispygypsy Thu 02-Nov-17 22:26:15

I'd have been very annoyed too. You don't know if her dog is wormed regularly!

TestingTestingWonTooFree Thu 02-Nov-17 22:26:34

Revolting. A friend comes out in hives if licked by a dog.

Battleax Thu 02-Nov-17 22:28:51

perfect example of why all dogs should be on the lead in public places at all times.

Yes. Millions of unexercised, frustrated dogs sounds SUCH a good idea 🙄

The most extreme blanket response is always the remedy for a few anti-social individuals, isn't it?

Longdistance Thu 02-Nov-17 22:30:34

Yuck!

I could think of nothing worse than a dog licking my face. Dogs tongue <<meet>> arse 💩

boopsy Thu 02-Nov-17 22:31:00

Yuck how disgusting, your poor dd having to walk about with dried dog spit on her face - they lick their arses ffs. I hate watching people who let their dogs lick their faces but at least it’s their own choice. Not unreasonable at all.

Ameliablue Thu 02-Nov-17 22:36:33

As a dog owner I would have been embarrassed and apologetic.

Ermm Thu 02-Nov-17 22:37:39

YANBU. I've got an 8 month old puppy and challenge we're working on at the moment is not jumping up (including on children). He's not at all aggressive - but I know that, they don't. And even if he's not aggressive I understand why kids (and adults!) might not appreciate having his paws on them.

We were at a busy train station the other day - he was on lead but I lost focus on him for a few seconds and he jumped up on some poor girl. I was MORTIFIED.

The thing is - you really can train dogs not to do it. But it does take a lot of work.

I lot of dog owners don't bother and really do have entitled attitudes - its my first dog and I've been quite taken aback with some other dog owners I've chatted with.

So I think you really were correct to say it - but I'm not surprised you got dismissed by the dog owner.

AdoraBell Thu 02-Nov-17 22:49:56

YANBU.

I have dogs and don’t let them like my face, never mind a child’s.

ShellyBoobs Thu 02-Nov-17 22:55:07

This.

DamsonGin Thu 02-Nov-17 22:59:40

That's really grim. Hope your dd wasn't upset.

PerfectlyDone Thu 02-Nov-17 22:59:58

YANBU.

It is utterly unacceptable for any dog to go round licking random people, never mind children and faces shock

I think all dogs should be shot.
And cats.
And all other pets, frankly.
They all poop and are unnecessary and carry diseases and cost time and effort and actual money.
I shall start with my own dog right away.

Yes, gotta love a good generalisation hmm

ThumbWitchesAbroad Thu 02-Nov-17 23:00:42

I think the woman was being ridiculous. And YWNBU to tell her that her dog should not be allowed to do that.

Just disgusting!

MrsOverTheRoad Thu 02-Nov-17 23:03:35

I have a very large dog and whenever he's out and about on his lead where children are present, his lead is SHORT.

That's because he's a licker and if I allowed it, he'd lick every single child and short adult he passed.

It's not ok.

BrioAmio Thu 02-Nov-17 23:14:12

My dog is a licker (pretty sure it’s in the breed description) and I always warn people that ask to stroke him because not everyone likes it. I’d be mortified if he did that to a child and upset them.

Bumblesbees Thu 02-Nov-17 23:16:17

Why didn’t you intervene when you saw a large dog approach your child? I would have lifted mine up out of the way of an approaching k9

dietcokeandwine Thu 02-Nov-17 23:18:54

YANBU op.

Dogs licking humans is disgusting. Dogs licking human faces is doubly disgusting.

They shouldn't be allowed to do it, and the vast majority of the sensible considerate dog owning population would not allow their dogs to lick like that. Unfortunately there will always be a section of the dog owning population that is neither sensible nor considerate, and sounds like you ran up against one of those today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now