Advanced search

To ask how to go about getting a diagnosed with ADHD as an adult

(16 Posts)
User700800 Thu 02-Nov-17 21:56:43

Do you have to be under adult mental health?

ScruffbagsRUs Thu 02-Nov-17 22:04:06

I'd start with your GP and talk things over with them. They should be able to refer you or send you in the right direction.


nineteentwelve Thu 02-Nov-17 23:48:59

I was diagnosed and started from GP (their suggestion I had no clue), then on to adult mental health. sometimes they will do a general assessment first or sometimes straight on to the ADHD assessment.

There are some questionnaires for you to fill in, along with one for someone who knows you etc. It's all fairly easy just a LOT of information required for them

pambeesley Thu 02-Nov-17 23:50:52

I have thought about it.

Can they do anything if you are diagnosed and does it effect things like travel insurance?

purpleme12 Thu 02-Nov-17 23:52:55

Go to GP and he should refer you. Different places are good or shit for ADHD in adults though. Hopefully yours is better than here.

purpleme12 Thu 02-Nov-17 23:53:56

There are tablets but no adult therapy where we live. Again probably dependant on where you live.

I can't see why it would affect travel insurance

nineteentwelve Thu 02-Nov-17 23:55:32

not at all, the diagnosis doesn't really change much. I should probably do a little more research but I rarely disclose it.

won't affect travel insurance, and won't affect things like driving license etc unless you're diagnosed with something incredibly severe (in which case you already would have been i think!)

I also have TS as a secondary diagnosis which probably affects more for me than the ADHD.

Lots of options available, but I currently take methylphenidates mon-fri

nosleepforme Thu 02-Nov-17 23:57:58

i thought my partner had add. i didnt want to wait for a referral and to wait etc, so i went straight to a therapist and neurologist with him even though i had to pay privately (not much). they wanted to take forever with referrals etc. and more therapists so i asked gp who was a good neurologist and would see him, i actually found one, again private and whilst i had to wait for an initial appt, he was diagnosed within a week!

Itscurtainsforyou Thu 02-Nov-17 23:58:42

Some GPs are reluctant to diagnose as they say a diagnosis won't do you any good as an adult, but my advice is to keep pushing/try another dr.

nineteentwelve Fri 03-Nov-17 00:07:32

some GPs will definitely be hesitant, but as I have gone back to study as an adult it was quite important to have the right support in place. and the support is amazing! one of the best decisions i've ever made

ThePinkPanter Fri 03-Nov-17 00:18:06

A diagnosis will help you access support across work, housing, claiming benefits etc. For example, I work as an employment Officer specifically for ASD. I help service users develop strategies for coping in work (organisation, time management, social difficulties, stress and anxiety etc.). I also help negotiate reasonable adjustments and advise employers of best practice, deliver training in managing ASD in the workplace and to act as an advocate or intermediary when required. You need a diagnosis to access our services. There are also similar organisations that provide assistance in managing their homes, budgeting etc.

Some GPs are terrible at referring for diagnosis but I'd try there first. The vast majority of my service users have worked for big organisations that were willing to refer them to occupational health for an assessment.

Oneggshellsallthetime Fri 03-Nov-17 14:17:43

Went to my GP, explained I thought I 'might' have ADHD and why, i.e. I made a case for it to be looked into but without going overboard. I explained that it might turn out my issue wasn't ADHD but, whatever it was, I needed to know why I struggled with so many aspects of daily life that others just get on with.

You may initially be referred to a psychologist but need to remember that only a psychiatrist (or I think it was a nurse consultant specialising in ADHD who carried out the first assessment and confirmed the diagnosis and went under the care of a psychiatrist. A psychologist cannot confirm a dx.

A good site for adults seeking a diagnosis is aadduk.

Oneggshellsallthetime Fri 03-Nov-17 15:22:00

Re a previous post commenting on a GP's comment that getting a diagnosis as an adult will not help. It may help just having it confirmed. My experience was that it explained a lot and saved constantly having to wonder why I'd done or not done something. So it lifted a load in some ways - although as an older adult when diagnosed I went through a marked period of 'mourning' the life I felt I hadn't been brave enough to follow because I couldn't trust myself to get things right.

Notevilstepmother Fri 03-Nov-17 16:37:18

Many people have written there about their journey to diagnosis.

Good luck.

Notevilstepmother Fri 03-Nov-17 16:38:59

From aadduk

1. I suspect I may have ADHD. How do I get a referral to an ADHD specialist for an assessment?

Make a 10 minute appointment with your GP and simply say you want a referral to an adult ADHD specialist for an assessment.
Take along the list of symptoms (with the relevant ones circled) which can be found in our library here.
And a copy of the patient’s version of the NICE guidelines which can also be found in our library here.
If you feel up to it, you could write under each symptom, a description of how it has affected your life.
Tell your GP that you will ring him in exactly one week’s time to find out how the referral is going.

Symptom list is on their site.

Notevilstepmother Fri 03-Nov-17 16:41:13

It doesn't affect travel insurance because I've never been asked. It would probably be disability discrimination if it did?

I have medication that helps me.

I also found the support groups helpful.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: