Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Crazy neighbor

(22 Posts)
gogglepod Thu 02-Nov-17 21:16:11

I’ve had a fall out with my neighbor, basically we got on really well and I helped her out when I could. I feel I’ve been a really good friend and decided I would extend my house rather than move as I have a large garden and the extension would only use a small section. She originally mentioned extending so I didn’t have to move. After paying for architecht and planning she tells me after cut off point she’s worried about losing light and she was putting an objection in. I wasn’t worried at the time as it was after cut off point and we’d done the 45 degree angle thing and she is already in shade due to existing houses. I find out she’s objected from the day the letter dropped on her doorstep, I’ve been upfront with her about it all and now I feel she’s been really sly especially as it was her idea in the first place. I find out she’s sent medical records in and alsorts like it’ll block bats flight path and stop her getting vit D and will also affect her agrophobia and the enjoyment of her garden, also other things to stop planning. I eventually tell her I want nothing to do with her as I know she’s been lying to me about what she’s done. I don’t know whether to just move now and sell house with planning as we got nearly what we wanted but still happy with what I can build but she’s since sent me messages telling me she’s here if I need her????? I don’t need her for anything! Think she’s done enough but I still have to live next door. I still feel I never wanna speak to her but also have to keep reminding myself I still have to live next door. Has anyone else fallen out with their neighbor over planning?

hollowtree Thu 02-Nov-17 21:23:49

Mental! No experience with this but sounds like she's not helping things at all!

If the permission gets granted would she be likely to make things difficult for you or resent you? If she was once a friend it might be awkward, but if she accepts it then maybe it won't.

Not sure what to suggest, sounds very confusing!

gogglepod Thu 02-Nov-17 21:30:31

She may cause trouble over a shared path but been to see solicitor already. Time will tell on this one. She’s always played the victim but starting to think the opposite now as she has very few friends

GodIsDead Thu 02-Nov-17 21:31:30

confused Your neighbour sounds bonkers. I’d avoid her as much as possible.

Fishface77 Thu 02-Nov-17 21:35:47

Just ignore her.
She sounds like a two faced twat. Get in with it. Do your own thing.

mummymummums Thu 02-Nov-17 21:51:29

She's two faced obviously. Ignore her as much as possible but staying civil. And never help her out again.

emmyrose2000 Fri 03-Nov-17 06:52:33

She sounds batshit and seriously unhinged. I wouldn't have anything more to do with her unless it was through legal channels.

SavageCabbage Fri 03-Nov-17 06:58:47

So the only reason you weren’t moving is because you get on with your neighbour and not you don’t?

gogglepod Fri 03-Nov-17 08:44:25

We were planning on moving as the house Isn’t big enough. We’ve paid for planning which would have gone towards a new house but because house prices have gone up so much in our area it was much cheaper to build on to existing property £150/200 grand cheaper. When I bought the house I did it up from brick and I found it very stressful so didn’t want to go through it again with neighbors moaning about noise. So when I thought all neighbors were happy us building on I then paid out for planning etc the neighbor in question suggested it in the first place then other half decided let’s build on. Now I’m left with a neighborly fude I did everything to avoid. The neighbor in question has mental health problems which died down after she got top rate benefits but suddenly get worse again when I put planning in. Either way we need another bedroom so I need to decide if living next door to crazy neighbor is better than paying out upto 200grand. Nobody else objected

MsMims Fri 03-Nov-17 09:02:06

Do you think if you block her number and ignore her in the street she’ll accept that? Doesn’t sound like she’s made a personal attack on you, rather just been completely two faced, so she may just leave you well alone now?

Could you manage as you are for a few months just to make sure it all settles down before committing to start building?

You shouldn’t have to leave your home because of her, especially when there’s such huge sums involved. Unless it really becomes nasty and starts to affect your quality of life, in which case probably worth the move for the sake of your health.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Fri 03-Nov-17 09:13:34

As you’ve had the planning permission granted, you can either do the work where you are & ignore tricky neighbour or spend an extra £150-£200k on a new house with unknown neighbours.

Provided your current house (with the planning permission now granted) can be extended enough to make it somewhere you still want to live, I’d definitely stay put.

No new property comes complete with a guarantee of nice neighbours!

Reflexella Fri 03-Nov-17 09:14:55

Weird. One of those ‘you know who your friends are’ stress points in life.

The subtle moaning will continue as project is built & onwards. I’d be inclined to reconsider moving if that was my original plan.

As an aside won’t bats just adjust their flight path. Any bat experts in the house??

I’m a batty expert instead - and I can confirm she is that!

MrsExpo Fri 03-Nov-17 09:19:38

If you have the planning permission in spite of her objections, and if the new extension will provide you with the house you want/need, then i'd definitely stay put. You can ignore one batty neighbour quite easily. As others have said, better the devil you know ...... a new house might bring its own set of neighbour issues. Good luck.

gogglepod Fri 03-Nov-17 09:26:18

Yes I agree could end up with worse neighbors x

ItsNachoCheese Fri 03-Nov-17 09:29:29

If you have the permission id do the work. If the plans werent suitable then you wouldnt of had the permission granted

Billben Fri 03-Nov-17 10:08:25

stop her getting vit D

😂
Try to ignore her. Keep Schtum about any future works/plans in the future as she is two faced. Start building but be prepared for hiccups along the way involving her. I don't think the planning department listens much to people who start claiming loss of vitamin D as a reason for an objection.

Hereward1332 Fri 03-Nov-17 10:16:55

The way she has phrased her objections is a bit bonkers, but she was clearly upset at the thought of an extension. She has every right to object - particularly if she felt is was intrusive- and did so. When you applied for planning did you show her the plans? If she didn't have the chance to tell you what she thought before it went to planning, you can't really blame her for objecting using the only avenue open to her. End of the day, she objected but you got permission anyway. Are you seriously wanting to move house because your neighbour didn't want an extension shading their garden?

Anatidae Fri 03-Nov-17 10:20:05

To play devils advocate, she’s already lived through you doing it up from brick - that will have been a lot of noise over an extended time period. Now she faces that again.

The way she’s reacted isn’t great - at the same time, endless DIY and building works is incredibly stressful on your neighbours

gogglepod Fri 03-Nov-17 10:59:57

She’s lived there just over a year, I don’t like what she’s done to her garden but at end of day it’s her garden but she’s currently picking leaves off a tree which came down in my garden (not my tree) why she wanted it baffles me but whatever floats ya boat. I now look out my window at a dilapidated hen house built from a guineapig hutch and my old fence panels ( bit of a kicker that I gave her the wood) looks a real eyesore but she’s happy looking at that but not a newly rendered house extension which will be about 2 1/2 metres further back than her house. One of her objections was it would devalue her property which is a Council house. The reasons she got the house also forms a pattern to present relationships.

BlackBanana Fri 03-Nov-17 11:01:57

She's not bonkers or crazy or mental or batshit (you disabilist twats).

She's lodging an objection she has every right to do. And since you have nothing to worry about unless it really would be detrimental to her, YOU are the one being a bad friend here.

gogglepod Fri 03-Nov-17 11:07:20

She’s not attached to me and wasn’t there when I did house up. She tried telling me how I should build it which would have ment the neighbors attached building up one of their windows which would be ridiculous. Our extension is also 2.7 metres from boundary wall which we have managed to make it 3 metres. We’ve done everything to the book but it seems it wasn’t how she wanted it and wouldn’t listen to the fact that come summer they will be no lack of sun. I think she maybe a control freak but unless she’s willing to pay for it she won’t be planning it.

gogglepod Fri 03-Nov-17 12:21:42

I have no problem with her logging an objection, it’s the slyness and lying I have a problem with and her medical records she sent to planning confirms her mental health regardless of the name people give it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now