Talk

Advanced search

To admire Marks and Spencer's ambitious in store advertising?

(123 Posts)
MrsDustyBusty Thu 02-Nov-17 19:34:23

Today I was in Marks and Spencer's in Dublin and they have a display advertising special celebration foods for bonfire night. That's an ambitious project, I thought to myself.

AIBU to admire the gung-ho spirit of commerce against the odds?

Supermagicsmile Thu 02-Nov-17 19:36:12

What food? Sounds great!
<misses point of thread!>

CandyMelts Thu 02-Nov-17 19:36:38

grin I used to work for m&s and it was a constant ambition to get the regions working better, e.g. back to school was always based on english dates so pointless for the Scots who'd already gone back

MrsDustyBusty Thu 02-Nov-17 19:57:04

The regions, eh?!

fleecyjumper Thu 02-Nov-17 20:07:09

I don't think people are getting your point! I get it!smile

koalab Thu 02-Nov-17 20:10:23

grin

EastMidsMummy Thu 02-Nov-17 20:12:18

I think everyone in the thread gets it.

bellabelly Thu 02-Nov-17 20:14:37

Took me a while - too distracted by the thought of celebration food!

Glumglowworm Thu 02-Nov-17 20:15:34

I've seen England themed t-shirts in primark in Cardiff grin

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 02-Nov-17 20:17:41

Do people not burn effigies of famous Catholics in Dublin? <tilts head>

SpottedGingham Thu 02-Nov-17 20:18:03

<wakes up> grin

Took me a moment! Doh!!

isitginoclock Thu 02-Nov-17 20:22:35

hangs head in shame totally not getting this... can someone please explain?? I love bonfire night food!! WHAT AM I MISSING?

MrsDustyBusty Thu 02-Nov-17 20:24:10

Do people not burn effigies of famous Catholics in Dublin? <tilts head>

Well they might but I haven't seen or heard of it yet, but it could just be the circles I move in...

crikeycrumbsblimey Thu 02-Nov-17 20:31:22

Bonfire night food is definitely a thing!!!!

I’m originally from Lancashire and urged would be black peas(!), parkin, black toffee, toffee apples.

Many of the things which have been absorbed by Halloween are bonfire celebrations.

I’m off to make Parkin mmmm

crikeycrumbsblimey Thu 02-Nov-17 20:32:46

Although I accept in Dublin hmmmm night not be the best.....missed that bit

I get sad at the lack of bonfire food though

biscuitmillionaire Thu 02-Nov-17 20:33:51

I think everyone in the thread gets it.
I don't think they do <see above>

MrsDustyBusty Thu 02-Nov-17 20:36:39

totally not getting this... can someone please explain?? I love bonfire night food!! WHAT AM I MISSING?

Ireland is a predominantly Catholic country and the whole Guy Fawkes thing isn't celebrated as a result.

DearTeddyRobinson Thu 02-Nov-17 20:37:26

Yeah Bonfire Night/Guy Fawkes is an English event. Ireland is a different country.

JustHope Thu 02-Nov-17 20:38:08

Yes Guy Fawkes and Boxing Day, shops just don’t get that they do not apply in Ireland.

@Candy regions hmm

OddBoots Thu 02-Nov-17 20:39:36

I get your point and you're right, it is either ambitious or thoughtless.

I think because the history/meaning behind bonfire night has been lost in England the significance is not realised by head office. You'd think the area/store manager would have had some kind of veto though.

TinklyLittleLaugh Thu 02-Nov-17 20:40:28

Bonfire night is celebrated in Wales, not just England. No idea about Scotland.

sweetsomethings Thu 02-Nov-17 20:40:47

We very much have bonfire night in Scotland so maybe not just an English thing

MrsDustyBusty Thu 02-Nov-17 20:44:55

I think because the history/meaning behind bonfire night has been lost in England the significance is not realised by head office. You'd think the area/store manager would have had some kind of veto though.

Its hard to know. There was a really funny one in tesco some time ago where they were selling children's nightdresses with 'I love bed and mickey' written on them. I expect if the manager had any discretion about what they sell, he thought it was just too funny to not sell.

Mickey is local slang for penis.

BigGreenOlives Thu 02-Nov-17 20:47:32

Hammersmith & Fulham Council has eliminated all reference to Guy Fawkes, it’s holding Full Moon Fireworks parties.

LaurieMarlow Thu 02-Nov-17 20:48:18

They have great form for this. My family live in a very republican area in Ireland. The local m&s is always stuffed full of Union Jack stuff. grin

In fairness, the local staff know how absurd this is, but head office don't appear to listen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now