Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Waterproof Coat for Girls

(49 Posts)
TransvisionTramp Thu 02-Nov-17 19:12:02

AIBU to think that girls need waterproof coats as well as boys?

Just looking online and Next only do showerproof coats for girls and waterproof for boys. I'll probably end up buying DD a boy's coat, but she's tiny and the cut is usually bigger in boys coats.

Obviously our little snowflakes don't go out in the rain hmm

I know there are other shops and will continue looking. Just needed to get that off my chest smile

Honeybooboo123 Thu 02-Nov-17 19:46:41

Pisses me right off. Try h&m online.

user1485196412 Thu 02-Nov-17 19:49:30

Boden ones are expensive but they do waterproof ones.

BikeRunSki Thu 02-Nov-17 19:53:41

Outdooru shops do great waterproof coats for girls and boys. DD currently has one from Land’s End - warm and waterproof - got it on one of their discount days. DD and DS both have waterproof cagoules (not showerproof) from Dare2Be.

Allthewaves Thu 02-Nov-17 19:54:13

Outdoor shops

thelastredwinegum Thu 02-Nov-17 19:55:37

Doesn't answer your question but could you buy one you like & make it waterproof?
www.millets.co.uk/br:nikwax/

sugarfiend Thu 02-Nov-17 19:57:05

Have a look at Hatley raincoats - if you can find a discount code they work out a similar price to next but I’m pretty sure these are actually they’re waterproof

My three all have a hatley one at the moment and I think they’re fab

BikeRunSki Thu 02-Nov-17 19:57:07

This is the kind of thing DD (6) wears.

TeenTimesTwo Thu 02-Nov-17 20:23:21

Another vote for outdoor shops.

Janek Thu 02-Nov-17 20:26:05

Yep, all our recent coats have come from go outdoors or decathlon. They need to be waterproof.

hareagain Thu 02-Nov-17 20:28:46

Are you wanting a pink one or something? Just buy a waterproof coat despite which sex it is advertised for..
Don't get me wrong, I do get the 'only boys need one' marketing issue.

userinfinity Thu 02-Nov-17 20:39:00

If you have a Costco card, for the past two years have been buying my DD's coats from there. They're waterproof, and warm with hoods and very reasonably priced.

SloanePeterson Thu 02-Nov-17 20:40:41

Polarn o pyret is your friend here. Took me far too long to realise the high street just doesn't do decent wet weather gear

Paddingtonthebear Thu 02-Nov-17 20:42:37

Muddy Puddles when they have a sale on. They last two winters on DD, the sizing is generous. She had the ski jacket first and then last year we bought the 2 in 1 parka. It will see her through this winter too. Fully waterproof and very warm

BrokenBattleDroid Thu 02-Nov-17 20:44:22

I have previously bought an amazing waterproof winter coat in Gap Kids (it also had a good hood and was long enough to go over the bottom), not sure what they have at the moment but worth a look. Also outdoorsy shops as others have suggested.

Paddingtonthebear Thu 02-Nov-17 20:44:35

We also have a waterproof one from Mountain Warehouse but it’s quite lightweight and not warm enough for winter.

H&M do a ski jacket, we had one when she was toddler, it was £19.99

And Decathlon have lots of this sort of thing. The kids sailing jackets are good

Oldraver Thu 02-Nov-17 20:45:20

Have a look at Regatta

ThomasRichard Thu 02-Nov-17 20:50:45

Joules coats have been good for DD. I’ve also bought from Vertbaudet and Polarn O Pyret. This year she has a parka from Fat Face, which is definitely waterproof.

NegansBitch Thu 02-Nov-17 20:52:11

We go for 3 in 1 coats for dd... (fleece, outer waterproof one, fleece and outer together) and theyre pretty waterproof.... I dont think even monsoon rain has got through them (trespass usually)

They're not padded, but they're still warm (i know, I have the same ones) and they're not patterned or fancy but they work and were firm believers in practicality over fashion.

Though we have also bought separate fleece and raincoat once and got a lovely patterned raincoat from mountain warehouse.

BarchesterFlowers Thu 02-Nov-17 20:52:50

Marmot Precip do a girls rain jacket which is completely waterproof (rather than showerproof or water resistant). Didriksons anything as well, Didriksons do warm, properly waterproof coats.

Next isn't the place to go for a properly waterproof number.

Whatever you buy you need to wash it properly to retain the waterproof properties. NixWax Tech Wash and re-proofer maintains waterproofer rather than washing it away.

SchnitzelVonKrumm Thu 02-Nov-17 20:53:34

H&M technical outerwear. This really pisses me off, as indeed it does with women’s coats.

PidgeonSpray Thu 02-Nov-17 20:55:31

Try po.p

They have waterproof coats for boys and girls. Very hi tech nut also some quite nice styles.

They seem to have a lot more choice these days too.

www.polarnopyret.co.uk/all/polarnopyret-coats-jackets

www.polarnopyret.co.uk/purple-long-shell-kids-coat-60344366-577-6

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Thu 02-Nov-17 21:01:48

Outdoor shops again. The DCs get their coats from them, currently Go Outdoors and Mountain Warehouse.

In fact my gripe is that girls get the safe colours. Boys too often get Blue/ camouflage/ twighlight road kill colours grin

DS2 has a lovely (girls?) salmon coloured coat as I didn't want to have a second child blending in with grass/ bushes, and my odds of finding DS1 again are more favourable wink

Fashion stores are often not as warm or waterproof as they look.

HighwayDragon1 Thu 02-Nov-17 21:03:58

We have a gorgeous Hatley one, in a bright colour so she's easier to see I want it for myself!

ILikeThatSong123 Thu 02-Nov-17 21:07:49

We bought dd this one from Mountain Warehouse a month ago and she's been wearing it to school on and off. At the moment it feels very warm so she's not using it every day. I am hoping it'll be warm and toasty in very cold weather.

www.mountainwarehouse.com/florence-womens-long-padded-jacket-p15088.aspx/black/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now