Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dismissive doctor

(20 Posts)
Happyhappyveggie Thu 02-Nov-17 18:15:40

I suspect strongly that I am in perimenopause. I am 44, getting terrible heart palpitations, not sleeping well, my cycle has shortened to 18 days some months, headaches, anxiety, joint pain and occasional days when I can’t seem to regulate my body temperature and get very hot.
I’ve been to docs and had bloods done but they show hormone levels as normal but as fluctuation is a common symptom, it’s apparently also common to come back normal.

I feel like I am going mad yet doctor just told me that I probably just needed therapy and dismissed me.

Aibu to follow this up and to think he was dismissive? I feel upset- i’m not mad or a hypochondriac- I genuinely feel shit!

sadiemm2 Thu 02-Nov-17 18:19:00

Follow it up... Is there a different doctor you can see (I'm in a single GP practice, which sucks)

Happyhappyveggie Thu 02-Nov-17 18:22:06

There are some other doctors there but all male- i’m not sure if that is a generalisation but this one treated me like a hysterical irrational female 🙄

AuntyElle Thu 02-Nov-17 18:22:16

Have a look at the menopause matters website. The NICE guidelines say that with those symptoms from age 45 you can go straight to HRT, without bothering with blood tests. But you shouldn't have to wait to be taken seriously.

Happyhappyveggie Thu 02-Nov-17 18:24:24

I didn’t know that @Auntyelle - that’s really interesting

Gramgram Thu 02-Nov-17 18:24:29

I'm not a doctor. However, I think you should go back, or perhaps see another doctor. Write down your symptoms just as you have done here. You could also ask the receptionist which doctor is better to see with possible symptoms of perimenopause.

I hope you soon feel better flowers

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Thu 02-Nov-17 18:24:44

Were you direct about asking for HRT or did you just expect him to suggest it?

Happyhappyveggie Thu 02-Nov-17 18:26:52

@slightlypeturbed I just wanted some answers to be honest. I wasn’t aware that you could ask for HRT and thought it was to do with blood tests showing hormone levels at a certain point. I just don’t want heart palpitations all the time

Judashascomeintosomemoney Thu 02-Nov-17 18:28:37

There are some other doctors there but all male my DR is female and I still got a bit of an eye roll response when I went in to check on some weird symptoms I was having. I genuinely hadn’t considered peri menopause, just never occurred to me, and her response was a bit ‘well, you’re a woman, what do you expect?’

Tulipvase Thu 02-Nov-17 18:32:36

I’m not a medic but is it possible those symptoms could by thyroid related? Or was that tested for too?

Happyhappyveggie Thu 02-Nov-17 18:33:23

@tulip yes, they tested for thyroid and all normal

MissConductUS Thu 02-Nov-17 18:39:09

If your hormone levels are in fact normal HRT may have nothing to replace. If you try it, start small, perhaps an estrogen only BC pill prescription and see if that helps.

And yes, I think your doctor was being a bit of an ass about your issues.

AuntyElle Thu 02-Nov-17 18:40:59

They may want to rule out other reasons for your heart palpitations, OP, but here are the NICE recommendations on peri/menopause:
www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng23/resources/menopause-pdf-718895758021

Happyhappyveggie Thu 02-Nov-17 18:42:21

Thanks @Auntyelle
I’ve had an ecg for the palps too Which was normal and an ultrasound that listened to my aorta & beats

SeaToSki Thu 02-Nov-17 18:43:54

Can you remember what ypur TSH level was? Its the thyroid test. They have changed the normal reference ranges recently, so you might be outside of the new normal. TBH your symptoms sound awfully consistent with over active thyroid, which also is common in women in their 40s. I would go back and ask for a full thyroid work up including the thyroid antibody test.

MadameJosephine Thu 02-Nov-17 18:46:26

I had more or less exactly the same symptoms as you and my GP started me on HRT based on symptoms alone without any blood tests. I feel so much better! No more palpitations, joint pain much improved, sleeping better. I’d go back and speak to them again

Albertschair Thu 02-Nov-17 18:54:34

You've had blood tests. Ecg. And echo. You have not been dismissed, although it may well feel like it, if you still don't have any answers.

Go back. Ask if it could be perimemopause and if hrt is worth a try.

Don't have oestrogen only birth control. It isn't safe (And I don't think it is an option in the UK. Although oestrogen only hrt is an option - not for you though)

Albertschair Thu 02-Nov-17 18:57:27

Plus. Remember you can ask for anything. They may say no, as you have gone to them for their professional opinion, not a shop. But if you don't ask they may not know what you are thinking.

missymayhemsmum Thu 02-Nov-17 19:59:11

Ok, they have ruled out anything treatable and come to the conclusion you have some fairly normal menopause symptoms, even though your hormone levels don't show it. Which should be reassuring, but obviously doesn't 'fix' it.
Sympathy and some suggestions for managing your perimenopause/ looking after your general health would have been nice.

Cosmic123 Fri 03-Nov-17 09:04:36

I had a very similar experience with a female doctor. I gave up bothering with them and I'm continuing to have symptoms. I suppose you could ask to see another doctor? I didn't brother because I was so disheartened by the female doctor dismissing me but I kind of wish I'd made more of an issue of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now