Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To sleep during the day?

(41 Posts)
Babyjunglesafari Thu 02-Nov-17 18:06:37

Any thoughts on this?

I work part time (3 days). I’ve got two young children toddler at home with me on my days off. Usual busy schedule of life with children, toddler is not easy either.

I’m exhausted, I don’t know why, mixture of anxiety, a few small health issues, busy life, stress. I know I shouldn’t be exhausted and some people have it much harder than me, but I just am. Many nights I am falling asleep on the sofa. My husband is tired too but is sometimes having to come home and do some dinner or order takeaway because I’m pulling my hair out and haven’t sorted things. (He gets home later than me so feel I should cook).

I find if I have a nap with my youngest during the day my evenings are far more bearable, I can function and do what needs doing, not snapping at everyone.

I just feel a bit guilty doing it.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Thu 02-Nov-17 18:09:45

Don't feel guilty, just do it.

Sunnydaysrock Thu 02-Nov-17 18:10:01

Omg, do not feel guilty! My kids are at senior school and primary and I only work 4 mornings, still have a nap when I can, I love it.

DeadGood Thu 02-Nov-17 18:10:23

Good lord woman, take the nap. Why on earth wouldn’t you?

RhinestoneCowgirl Thu 02-Nov-17 18:10:48

Nothing wrong with napping if you need to (I love naps, and sometimes have one even tho my children are well past toddler age). But it also might be worth a trip to GP to get iron and thyroid levels checked, to make sure it's nothing more sinister.

ladyvimes Thu 02-Nov-17 18:12:03

Sounds pretty normal to me. I work part time and have 2dcs, one who is with me at home and I am always shattered. Just rest when u can.

arethereanyleftatall Thu 02-Nov-17 18:12:21

Of course have a nap

Babyjunglesafari Thu 02-Nov-17 18:14:25

Trip to the GP is on my list of things to do too as I am unusually tired.

I just feel as though I should be using my time better and that I’m being lazy, but as I said it means I can actually function properly of an evening. Teatime, getting kids to bed, all so much easier.

nic14271213 Thu 02-Nov-17 18:16:12

Apparently you are supposed to live longer if you have a nap so go for it!

MeadowHay Thu 02-Nov-17 18:22:37

YANBU, why should you feel guilty? If you're tired, have a nap! I nap often when I'm home in the day times, I have chronic fatigue which the GP thinks is just caused by my anxiety disorder/poor mental health, but I often nap. I don't care what people think, if I'm tired, I'm tired, the reason why is neither here nor there.

Standandwait Thu 02-Nov-17 18:26:26

Naps are one of God's gifts, take every chance you get. Especially if it helps you be stronger in the evenings! Would you feel better about it if your doctor prescribed them?

HCantThinkOfAUsername Thu 02-Nov-17 18:37:55

YANBU I work part time, 2 dc and chronically unwell. Any "free time" I get I chose to sleep, I need it.
I don't think there's anything wrong with it myself.

tiggerbounce77 Thu 02-Nov-17 18:40:49

I miss nap time soo much, take advantage of it whilst you still can

Me264 Thu 02-Nov-17 19:41:29

I have only one 20 month old DS, I work full time and I nearly always have a nap at the weekend when DS does.

Walkingdead11 Thu 02-Nov-17 19:45:05

I wish I could nap but my brain will not allow me to fall asleep in the day.....stupid brain!

BeerBaby Thu 02-Nov-17 19:49:06

Part time. 2 young children, youngest just started school. I've never been able to nap due to the guilt.

I think the need is overtaken the guilt. Always tired. I aim to sneak in a nap more often.

TowerRavenSeven Thu 02-Nov-17 19:54:28

Yanbu! I have one senior school child and a part time job also. I take a nap almost every day because dh is a noisy sleeper sometimes and only half the time I feel rested after 'sleep'.

I used to feel guilty too but I've gotten into the habit of saying 'I'm an adult and I can do as I like!'

PlopGoesTheWeasel Thu 02-Nov-17 20:01:01

Taking a nap is one of my favourite stress-busters. Even if I don't manage to fall asleep, just having a lie down in a quiet (preferably dark) room does wonders for my energy levels.

You have no need to feel guilty - sleep is important for mental and physical health so go for it.

fizzicles Thu 02-Nov-17 20:10:38

OF COURSE YOU SHOULD NAP! Do not feel guilty, it is good for you, because you feel better, it is good for your kids because you can handle teatime/bedtime better, and it is good for your DH for those 2 reasons too.

Definitely, definitely nap.

YouStoleTheBowlFromTheRoom Thu 02-Nov-17 20:12:09

YANBU, OP - self care is important.

Quick question to other posters - I’m not a napper but, like OP - would like to be! What time do you nap and for how long?

Hope this doesn’t count as hijacking your thread, OP!

Sienna333 Thu 02-Nov-17 20:12:45

If you nap you feel better and stronger. Happy mum=happy kids.

BarbarianMum Thu 02-Nov-17 20:13:52

Take. The. Nap.

Seriously, do it. The opportunity is heaven sent.

ColinCreevy Thu 02-Nov-17 20:14:43

I'm so glad other people nap too grin I always feel guilty but I'm just so tired I will always nap when I can.

Pumpkintopf Thu 02-Nov-17 20:28:58

Definitely nap! Makes your evenings better. Not lazy, sensible.

Allthewaves Thu 02-Nov-17 20:33:39

I miss my toddler naps. Managed to wrangle 4 year old on sofa couple wks ago when he finished school early and had a lovely cuddle nap with him, made me very nostalgic.

I'm also not above jumping back into bed once kids are dropped off at school if it's been a rough night

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now