Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Aibu bath time

(16 Posts)
knickerelasticgonetwang Thu 02-Nov-17 17:31:15

Am I being mean or should I expect my 11 year old to sort himself out in the bath.

ineedamoreadultieradult Thu 02-Nov-17 17:33:35

Yes a NT 11 year old should be able to have a bath or shower alone. I don't help my DS 10 at all with a shower. I do run his bath for him otherwise he ends up having a bath in nearly cold water but that's all I do.

dementedpixie Thu 02-Nov-17 17:35:25

I would probably help with hair washing in the bath and then he could wash the rest himself. Ds is also 11 and will do the full thing if in the shower but needs help with the over bath shower hose for his hair if in the bath

millyv Thu 02-Nov-17 17:44:21

This is crazy- not sure if it's a boy girl difference but my 5 year old daughter can fully 'sort herself out' (wash herself and hair) in the shower- the only thing I do is switch it on and off as she can't reach.

Aquamarine1029 Thu 02-Nov-17 17:53:26

Good grief, unless there is a special needs issue, an 11 year old should be able to bathe themselves.

dementedpixie Thu 02-Nov-17 17:57:17

Shower is different to the bath. We have a shower hose attached to bath taps and I do help with washing hair in the bath so that water doesn't end up everywhere. Both kids fine to do everything themselves in the shower

ILoveMillhousesDad Thu 02-Nov-17 17:58:07

I help dd9 wash her very long, thick hair in the bath as there would be loads of suds left in otherwise, which would irritate her scalp if not cleansed thoroughly.

I am very impressed at a 5yo who can wash all the suds out their hair.

SavageCabbage Thu 02-Nov-17 17:59:38

Actually in the bath? Yes. Maybe some help with running it, getting the right temperature etc.

kaytee87 Thu 02-Nov-17 18:01:08

What??? Of course your 11yo should be able to bath himself assuming no disabilities.

Anditstartsagain Thu 02-Nov-17 18:01:48

My 5 year old boy can wash himself and his hair.

Santawontbelong Thu 02-Nov-17 18:02:03

Ds 8 has recently mastered it.

PotteringAlong Thu 02-Nov-17 18:02:39

I expect my 5 year old to sort himself out in the bath!

millyv Thu 02-Nov-17 19:48:15

Yes, in the bath too, she uses a big plastic cup once the worst suds are out of her hair. Fair play she has mid length hair and it's not that thick...

I don't know any 11 year olds that need help with washing... getting them in a bath/shower maybe but not actually washing.

Allthewaves Thu 02-Nov-17 19:53:26

My cousin was still having to check her son had washed at 14 and used to have to force him to shower daily. He's now 16 and you can't get him out of he shower (he discovered girls)

pinkliquorice Thu 02-Nov-17 20:07:50

I help DD9 with her hair as it is a nightmare and DS7 after as he has bad eczema. But they could and do sort themselves out if I’m busy or not there.
What sort of help does he need? Being reminded to shower or help getting towels, soap etc is one thing but he shouldn’t need physical help washing and drying providing he doesn’t have any additional needs.

CMOTDibbler Thu 02-Nov-17 20:11:34

Apart from having to prod him to actually get in the bath/shower, I do absolutely nothing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now