Talk

Advanced search

Not having whooping cough vaccine

(9 Posts)
Prusik Thu 02-Nov-17 14:38:16

Went to the doctors this morning for flu jab and whooping cough vaccine - I'm 27 weeks pregnant.

Discussed with nurse (I think it was a nurse?) the whooping cough and she felt it best that since I reacted to the vaccine last time, I should skip it this pregnancy.

I'm not an anti vaxxer but was nervous about the impact of it on my health since I suffered side effects for about 6 months after having the jab (had the jab 12 months ago during my last pregnancy).

She talked about herd immunity and about avoiding any potential exposure to kids with colds to try to prevent baby catching whooping cough before the 8 week jabs.

I have one DS who will be 13 months and not in childcare so I can reasonably shut myself away from little ones for 8 weeks until the jabs come around.

I've followed the nurses advice she actually made the decision for me. I guess I just want to know, AIBU? Should I have pushed for the jab? Am I being horribly negligent?

Cheeseontoastie Thu 02-Nov-17 14:40:49

I didn't all 4 times. I don't feel bad. My kids were fine.

CappuccinoCake Thu 02-Nov-17 14:45:24

My baby had whooping cough at 8 weeks and it was one of the most terrifying things in my life. We didn't go out much either and no siblings but it is so so contagious it only took one person with a cough. Checking she was breathing every 20mins or so night and day for 3 months with several ambulance and hospital visits. If there's any way yo take the jab I would.

I was terrified second time around and stayed in for ages. And avoided children etc as well as having all the jabs.

Musicaltheatremum Thu 02-Nov-17 15:01:53

I've never thought about this but I wonder whether you would still have immunity for the precious time. I must look up the evidence and see.

Mamabear4180 Thu 02-Nov-17 15:07:45

I don't have jabs when I'm pregnant. Yanbu to make your own decision on this it's why it's a choice.

Prusik Thu 02-Nov-17 17:04:00

The nurse suggested I might still have immunity from last year. I'm hopeful but really worried about risking the baby

Santawontbelong Thu 02-Nov-17 17:06:46

My ds caught whooping cough in the post natal ward!!. Nearly lost him at 2 weeks old.
Suffered relapses of lung infections for ten months due to low immunity and lung weakness . Ten months in and out of children's ward. No fun with other dc left at home . sad

Oly5 Thu 02-Nov-17 17:09:09

Whooping cough kills.
What were your side effects? I’d put up with almost anything to avoid whooping cough in a baby.. though totally understand your reticence

Prusik Thu 02-Nov-17 17:29:31

It was breathing problems that I had. Lasting for about three or four months after I was born. It was really scary at times.

Interestingly my son was actually born with breathing problems. Not that I'm saying that was caused by the vaccine

I'll chat to my midwife again, I'm seeing her next week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now