Talk

Advanced search

To think Superdry are utterly confusing sizes? Can anyone help??

(32 Posts)
BoyMeetsWorld Thu 02-Nov-17 13:23:04

DH wants a coat for Christmas. Must be Superdry so no personal opinions on the brand please (I have my own thoughts!!!)

But the sizing is insanely confusing. I have googled until the cows come home & can't take him into a shop without blowing the surprise.

He's short. Stocky. Usually wears a small in other ranges (though in jumpers etc I do think he should be in a medium!!)

What size is my safest bet??

And do I go with Windcheater or Windtrekker for a warm, practical winter jacket??

Above all...AiBU to think Superdry could just have sizes the same as everywhere else!

TIA for any help

gunsandbanjos Thu 02-Nov-17 13:24:48

Superdry sizes are small, I’d definitely go for a medium.

Acadia Thu 02-Nov-17 13:27:02

What's confusing about it? I'm an XS. So in Superdry I buy... XS.

Does he already own Superdry pieces? Go check the labels.

LittleLights Thu 02-Nov-17 13:27:28

I am a size 12-14 and just bought myself a Superdry coat in a size 16, it's a bit snug, by snug, I can wear a thin jumper underneath but with a thick jumper, I can't move my arms properly to drive a car.

My son has a Superdry coat in a M and he's usually a S.

On my findings I would size up so I would look at M or L for your DH.

c4bbage Thu 02-Nov-17 13:27:37

Buy one and then blindfold while he's trying it on so he knows he's getting a coat but can't see what it looks like

Smidge001 Thu 02-Nov-17 13:28:53

I agree that superdry sizes come up small, but are particularly difficult with long sleeves. We found the arm length seems to be really short even on the larger sizes.

dontcallmelen Thu 02-Nov-17 13:31:02

Hi my son is about 5ft 9” & weighs roughly ten & half stone in Superdry tee shirts he is xxl in jumpers/shirts a large, if he is chunky I would get large size, Superdry sizing definitely comes up on the small side.

mirage937 Thu 02-Nov-17 13:45:42

id always say size up in superdry, i tend to size up anyway for coats as i like to layer up a lot underneath

angelnix Thu 02-Nov-17 13:56:47

Can you not try one of his current coats on and then try them on in the shop to compare? Or take one of his current ones with you?

DaisyLand Thu 02-Nov-17 13:59:47

im size 14/l
Some of their size 14 are ok some are impossible to wear for me, feels like i'm trying a 10 on!
Same thing happens for DH

Ellendegeneres Thu 02-Nov-17 14:04:42

I'm a 12-14 and in my superdry a L. I expected a M.
You can always order the size up then change if it doesn't fit. They were so helpful when I went there (Bluewater store), couldn't do enough for me. Just leave labels on

puddingpen Thu 02-Nov-17 14:06:54

Measure his current coat and then go to a shop and measure the coats?

BoyMeetsWorld Thu 02-Nov-17 14:29:47

He doesn't own any or I would just check the labels. The other brands he owns are v different sizing.

May have to try and get into a store but our nearest Superdry is over 2 hours away so bit of a mission.

Does anyone have experience of either the Windcheater or Windtrekker to know sizing of these? & which is the nicer coat?

GlitterGlue Thu 02-Nov-17 14:32:04

Do they not have the chest measurements online?

MrTrebus Thu 02-Nov-17 14:35:23

Just buy one online probably medium then get him to try it on and then send back for exchange if no good. He's asked for a Superdry coat so there isn't much or a surprise to ruin anyway.

eyebrowsonfleek Thu 02-Nov-17 14:42:18

My 5 foot 11 beanpole of a don normally wears men’s S tshirts but needs a Superdry M tops. I got his jacket from the eBay Superdry outlet.

AuntyElle Thu 02-Nov-17 14:50:20

Can I derail slightly to ask what is controversial about the brand? Was about to buy some as a gift.

NoFuckingRoomOnMyBroom Thu 02-Nov-17 14:52:56

Does he have other Superdry things? I ask as they are ridiculously small & designed more for the slim so as 'stocky' he may be uncomfortable around the chest & shoulders in one of their coats.
I'm a 12 & have 2 large coats of theirs one is fine the other is a little snug & can't be worn with anything thicker than a t-shirt hmm

Schroedingerscatagain Thu 02-Nov-17 15:16:59

Given that my extremely skinny 13 year old (32 inch chest ) wears their xs in t-shirts and hoodies but needs a small in their coats your DH needs a large

Have you got a MacArthur glen nearby? Outlet shop has lots of choices as does their eBay outlet

MaidOfStars Thu 02-Nov-17 15:21:22

I have loads of Superdry wink

Current coat - XS.
Hoodies (pullover type) - S.
Hoodies (zip type) - XS.
T-shirts - M.

Not sure this helps at all. They are not necessarily much smaller than other shops but they are certainly cut for straight/slim/athletic types.

eyebrowsonfleek Thu 02-Nov-17 15:26:02

AuntyElle - Think the controversy is that Superdry is a brand that designs clothes for very slim young people. I think that it’s one of those brands with a definite age cut off.

dontquotemeondailymail Thu 02-Nov-17 15:33:40

The windcheater is nice, and very warm but there are a million zips!! Took my simple mind a while to get used to and even now, you've got to take care to do them up properly otherwise the zip breaks.

Agree with others, definitely size up

SistersOfPercy Thu 02-Nov-17 15:40:23

I have boobs. I cannot wear any Superdry clothing.

Aeroflotgirl Thu 02-Nov-17 15:55:30

I would get a medium, as Superset do run a bit small. Having said that, I have a Superset ski coat in Ladies large i am a 12/14;and I fit a chunky hoodie under it.

Aeroflotgirl Thu 02-Nov-17 15:56:36

Sisters me too. My boobage is 34ff😯😯😯😯

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now