Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To take my baby to GP

(28 Posts)
Fruitcorner123 Thu 02-Nov-17 09:27:30

My DD is almost 5 weeks old. She has a cold and this is day 3. It hasn't been affecting feeding so far and she doesnt have a high temperature. The reason I am considering taking her is because she has a chesty cough which sounds almost like a bark and she is so young. What would you do? Wait a few days and monitor or go in for an emergency GP appointment (it will be a three week wait for a routine one). I could try and see the practice nurse I suppose. It's the cough that is worrying me as she is so little but I am probably being over cautious.

Fluteytootey Thu 02-Nov-17 09:28:58

If you're worried then you should take her. Your doctor won't mind seeing a baby that young.

hiyasminitsme Thu 02-Nov-17 09:29:40

very reasonable. I'm always happy to see tiny babies - they get ill quickly and are difficult to assess.

Sirzy Thu 02-Nov-17 09:30:33

Always best to get them checked over when so small.

Didntcomeheretofuckspiders Thu 02-Nov-17 09:31:24

Most GP surgeries have a telephone triage system for emergency appointments now. I think it’s definitely worth at least talking to a doctor.

Orangebird69 Thu 02-Nov-17 09:33:07

Take her - it could be bronchiolitis.

PandorasXbox Thu 02-Nov-17 09:34:40

I would take her with her being so tiny.

Littlechocola Thu 02-Nov-17 09:35:26

She’s so new I would take her.

honeysucklejasmine Thu 02-Nov-17 09:35:31

Could be croup - definitely take her in.

Oncemorewithlessfeeling Thu 02-Nov-17 09:41:59

I would take her in, and I took my DD to the doctor for the same thing when she was about the same age.

They’ll be happy to check her over and will also explain the things to look out for.

Rebeccaslicker Thu 02-Nov-17 09:43:23

My dr would say take her in to be checked at that age.

Fingers crossed they just send you away smile

Rebeccaslicker Thu 02-Nov-17 09:43:40

(After checking her and saying she's fine, I mean 🙈)

FruitBadger Thu 02-Nov-17 09:46:30

At 5 weeks you're not over reacting, go with your gut instinct.

qazxc Thu 02-Nov-17 09:47:24

I would call the surgery, even to get the nurse to have a look at her. When babies are that small, I'd err on the side of caution.

Fruitcorner123 Thu 02-Nov-17 09:47:45

Thanks everyone. I have spoken to the doctor using the triage system. He asked several questions about her feeding, breathing etc. And said he doesnt need to see her unless it affects her breathing feeding or she has a temperature or is not respondinf/sleeping as normal.I feel much better now but hate the idea of wasting their time.

BernardBlacksHangover Thu 02-Nov-17 09:48:22

I'm sure she's fine, but it's definitely not U to take her. I probably would too in the same circumstances.

Glumglowworm Thu 02-Nov-17 09:48:38

She's 5 weeks old, she's tiny, they really won't mind seeing her

BernardBlacksHangover Thu 02-Nov-17 09:50:28

Oh x post sorry! Glad you've spoken to someone.

I know what you mean about wasting their time; they seem so under pressure just now I always feel like apologising for calling them! They're always fine with it though. Unless you're calling every other day because your baby sneezed once or something.

DrunkUnicorn Thu 02-Nov-17 09:51:03

Some GP surgeries hold a few slots for emergency appointments for babies. Mine does, and asks me to bring DS (4m) if I call up to ask for a telephonic consultation with the duty doctor.

At that age, do take her in to the GP..

Sirzy Thu 02-Nov-17 09:57:33

Did they tell you what signs to look for with regards to struggling to breathe?

Fruitcorner123 Thu 02-Nov-17 10:12:18

Yes rapid or irregular breathing or oulling off when feeding to breathe.

Fruitcorner123 Thu 02-Nov-17 10:12:31

Pulling not oulling!

Sooooooooooooooooooooo Thu 02-Nov-17 10:17:47

Babies breathe through their nose which is why they can’t cope as well when they have a cold and feeding may also tail off as they’re too busy trying to breathe.

BackBoiler Thu 02-Nov-17 10:18:11

Keep an eye on below the ribs as well, if it looks as if its sucking in quite a bit then that's a sign of laboured breathing. Chances are your baby will be fine if not a bit grizzly.

Feeding will end up probably being even more little and often so make sure you get some rest too especially if you are breastfeeding or you will be exhausted too!

Bettyspants Thu 02-Nov-17 10:19:43

I'm very happy to see babies /young children based purely on a parent's basic instinct that some thing 'isn't right' or they are concerned. Babies are unpredictable and change very quickly. You did absolutely the right thing and would still be doing the right thing if you ring back and want a face to face assessment. I'd far rather see a child and confirm they are OK than not seeing purely as the parent doesn't want to be seen as a time waster. Hopebaby is feeling better soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now