Talk

Advanced search

To think this was a tad rude?

(35 Posts)
InNeedofaCoffee Thu 02-Nov-17 08:06:20

Yesterday was Dd 3rd birthday, dp family came over in the evening to give her presents. I opened the card from his Nan who was also there, and read it out to Dd. His Nan then says "tbh I still haven't got over her name"... hmm I said "what do you mean, you don't like it?" And she said "yeah it's just a strange name" hmm I did an awkward smile and she then carried on looking at me for seconds after waiting for me to say something confused??

Her name is sophia btw, if she heard the names we are coming up with for Ds she would probably hit the roofgrinconfused

steff13 Thu 02-Nov-17 08:07:39

Yes it was rude, and no, Sophia is not a strange name.

PandorasXbox Thu 02-Nov-17 08:10:48

Madness. Sophia isn’t strange in any way! It’s a beautiful name. But yes it was rude of her.

PandorasXbox Thu 02-Nov-17 08:11:34

We need to know the names for DS now too grin

SavageBeauty73 Thu 02-Nov-17 08:11:49

How bizarre. Sophia is a lovely name.

MagicMoneyTree Thu 02-Nov-17 08:15:22

What an odd choice of name op. What about Marjorie or Joyce? Yeah it was rude but just ignore her.

Bringbackpublicfloggings Thu 02-Nov-17 08:18:10

It's not strange it's a lovely name.

buttercup54321 Thu 02-Nov-17 08:34:39

Beautiful name. How rude!!!

Venusflytwat Thu 02-Nov-17 08:37:01

How odd!

I think I might have picked her name and said “Well, people think that about Maud these days too Nan but it’s obviously served you well” or something!

thecatsarecrazy Thu 02-Nov-17 08:37:49

A customer said to me yesterday hows your baby?. I said good thank you. Then she says whats his name again? Tristan. Very strange she says hmm i dont think it's strange at all.

WizardOfToss Thu 02-Nov-17 08:38:44

I would assume she was extremely dim, had limited life experience, and was rude and deliberately unpleasant into the bargain.

I'd then avoid/ignore where possible.

diddl Thu 02-Nov-17 08:39:12

Are you pronouncing it strangely?grin

Is it a bit "forrin" for her?confused

thecatsarecrazy Thu 02-Nov-17 08:39:49

And yes, she was rude

hesterton Thu 02-Nov-17 08:41:12

Absolutely beautiful name. Ignore Nans weirdness.

blackteasplease Thu 02-Nov-17 08:41:50

What on earth is strange or unusual about Sophia?

Nikephorus Thu 02-Nov-17 08:42:14

I quite like Tristan. Not sure I could live with it permanently but it's different. Sophia - not so sure for a little one because to me it sounds like someone a bit older. But it'll be a glorious name when she's in her 20s and older.

DeadGood Thu 02-Nov-17 08:43:28

"I did an awkward smile and she then carried on looking at me for seconds after waiting for me to say something confused ?? "

She was testing you. She said something blatantly rude, and was waiting to see if you would push back and let your boundaries be known.

You didn't, you just smiled awkwardly at her, instead of saying something as simple as "what do you mean?" or "sorry, could you say that again?" that would have shown that you're unwilling to take that sort of comment.

But yes, she was extremely rude, and it is often hard to react in the moment. You know for next time.

FlowerPot1234 Thu 02-Nov-17 08:52:40

confused Sophia is a lovely name.

diddl Thu 02-Nov-17 08:53:50

"if she heard the names we are coming up with for Ds she would probably hit the roof"

Tristan?grin

To the pp with a son of that name-perhaps you met Op's partner's nan!

Ttbb Thu 02-Nov-17 08:54:09

You should have replied I'm having trouble getting over the fact that you think that you opinion matters.

whiskyowl Thu 02-Nov-17 08:55:29

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MissConductUS Thu 02-Nov-17 09:02:38

Just tell her that Frank Zappa, the American rock musician named his daughter Moon Unit, and her siblings are named Dweezil, Ahmet, and Diva.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_Zappa

That should give her pause. smile

justilou1 Thu 02-Nov-17 09:04:01

Sophia is glorious. WTF did she want? Are you going to change her name to Sue or Anne or Jane or something equally generic just to please her. You should have said "RUDE!" and walked off.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Thu 02-Nov-17 09:39:53

How very rude.😡
Sophia is a beautiful name. Before she gets over her grand daughter's name, she needs to get over herself !

Nocabbageinmyeye Thu 02-Nov-17 09:50:03

Rude and strange, Sofia has been listed as the most popular name in the world so hardly strange hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now