Talk

Advanced search

To think I'm turning into a confused old lady

(17 Posts)
Midge1978 Wed 01-Nov-17 21:34:09

I just seem to have brain block all the time!

I went to a Center Parcs spa at half term (dh’s treat) and I was totally befuddled with the electronic lockers in the changing area and had to ask someone for help twice. Then I just couldn’t find my way to the massage room, I kept wandering out into reception. When I finally saw someone sneaking through a door I had somehow missed, I finally found where I had to go but spent the whole massage in a state of anxiety about finding my way back and working out how to open the locker!

At the weekend we went to the cinema. I was totally befuddled by the drinks machine, ended up with a cup full of ice til someone intervened and showed me the button. When I needed the loo during the film I ended up going through two fire exits before I worked out how to get out of the place!

Just now I was wrestling with trying to put the cutlery bit back into the dishwasher and I was wrestling with it for ages before dh pointed out that I was putting it the wrong way round. We’ve had the dishwasher for three years.

Am only 42 - am I really losing my marbles!

Calvinlookingforhobbs Wed 01-Nov-17 21:38:29

Sleep deprivation and even slight dehydration have an enormous impact on cognitive abilities!

willyougotobed Wed 01-Nov-17 21:45:48

Sadly it's normal I think. I fear there's something to be said for employing "bright young things". I joined a gym recently. The receptionist had to log in my details on the tablet because I couldn't. Then she set my number code on my padlock, because I couldn't. And every time I go she helps me scan my pass card because for some reason, it never works for me. I'm 49. Feel about 90.

I did a college course a couple of years ago and kept finding myself on the roof, rather than at the room where the class was being held. Some weeks, others followed me up to the roof.

Midge1978 Wed 01-Nov-17 21:46:25

Lol glad it’s not just me!

ButteredScone Wed 01-Nov-17 21:47:29

Also - when was the last time you had an eye test? It sounds like you might not be focussing I. The literal sense...

Jinglebells99 Wed 01-Nov-17 21:48:18

I think you need to get it checked out. I'm sure there's lots of things that could cause those symptoms.

BringOnTheScience Wed 01-Nov-17 21:49:07

When I was new to teaching I found myself needing to do 5+5 at home. I could not for the life of me work out the answer. I ended up counting out 5, then another 5. Then I swore ... a lot!

Blodplod Wed 01-Nov-17 21:50:02

I think this is peri menopausal symptoms personally. I have lots of discussions with friends of the same age as me about this exact subject. For me, I can’t find the words for things. So i’ll be talking and want to say a word (not anything specific) and I can’t think of the word I want to use. Even if it’s something mundane. It keeps happening and it quite scared me at one point.

Midge1978 Thu 02-Nov-17 07:08:23

Oh great the menopause!

Besom Thu 02-Nov-17 07:17:08

My family are starting to make jokes about finding my hand bag in the fridge. I haven't actually done that -yet.

ArgyMargy Thu 02-Nov-17 07:23:35

I can understand asking for help with a new concept (electronic locker etc) but to have to ask more than once is concerning. And being anxious about finding your way out of a room is not normal. A trip to your GP and some tests might help put your mind at rest.

Bunnychopz Thu 02-Nov-17 07:25:52

How do you feel physically. I would talk to the gp if worried

LindyHemming Thu 02-Nov-17 07:25:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bunnychopz Thu 02-Nov-17 07:26:58

There are certain deficiencies that can make you like this. B12 for example

Fatbergs Thu 02-Nov-17 07:35:39

Yes, as BunnyChops says, taking B12 can be great, and you can get it in pouches of stickers that you wear, they really make a big difference to me. I feel "switched on". Also Niacin. Vitamin c is great for brain functioning as well, a few days of lots of Vitamin C will lead to a really happy buzz.

I used to feel a bit sad that my druggy days are over, but honestly, theres a lot you can do to improve your mood on vitamins - and they're good for you!! My personal holy grail is Espresso + niacin 500mg + 90's detroit techno = clean clean clean house

Bunnychopz Thu 02-Nov-17 07:50:58

If deficient in b12 you might need injections to get your levels up as tablets aren’t that great for absorbition.

agedknees Thu 02-Nov-17 07:51:11

I got lost walking my dog through our village. Couldn’t for the life of me remember how to get back home. I had blood tests for another condition and was found to be vit b12 deficient. I am on 3 monthly injections now and feel so much sharper/better.

Have your levels checked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now