Talk

Advanced search

To put the washing machine upstairs?

(59 Posts)
fizzicles Wed 01-Nov-17 20:43:31

Just moved house and there’s no space for a dishwasher in the kitchen. We could put one where the washing machine currently is and move the washing machine to the upstairs bathroom or just outside it. Is this a terrible idea?

sooperdooper Wed 01-Nov-17 20:46:44

I don't think it's a terrible idea, could you build it into an airing cupboard so washing machine underneath and cupboard above?

Scotinoz Wed 01-Nov-17 20:47:22

We used to have our washer upstairs in the bathroom. Bit weird initially, but fine

AlternativeTentacle Wed 01-Nov-17 20:47:29

They have them in the bathroom all over Europe. Stupid idea having them in the kitchen anyway.

feartyfeet Wed 01-Nov-17 20:47:53

Washing machine in a bathroom is fine (maybe even better than kitchen).

Ecureuil Wed 01-Nov-17 20:47:55

We had a washing machine upstairs once in a rental house (in a large cupboard in the bathroom!). It was fine.

GummyGoddess Wed 01-Nov-17 20:48:37

It makes perfect sense to have the washing machine on the same floor as the bedrooms. If our bathroom was bigger I'd do it.

missevelina Wed 01-Nov-17 20:51:11

My laundry room is upstairs, makes more sense as that's where all the laundry is!

BeALert Wed 01-Nov-17 20:52:06

I once looked round someone's house - they had an upstairs dressing and sewing room. It had all their clothes, sewing stuff, washer, dryer, ironing board and space for hanging stuff up to dry. I was well jel.

sayyouwill Wed 01-Nov-17 20:53:09

My dryer is in the bedroom...
makes sense as that’s where my clothes go

MyKingdomForACaramel Wed 01-Nov-17 20:53:49

Makes much more sense than the kitchen really

ToriaPumpkin Wed 01-Nov-17 21:02:02

If you lived in a bungalow then it'd be on the same floor. I'd love to not have to drag the washing up and downstairs... I've also lived in houses where the washing machine was in the bathroom. Do it!

spanieleyes Wed 01-Nov-17 21:03:05

My "Grand Design " house has an upstairs laundry room!

Wishful thinking at the moment but, one day................grin

Elphame Wed 01-Nov-17 21:05:20

I have one upstairs in what was an airing cupboard before the combi boiler made the hot water tank redundant. it's hidden by the door which also muffles the sound.

LoniceraJaponica Wed 01-Nov-17 21:06:29

It's all very well saying it saves lugging the dirty laundry downstairs, but what about lugging wet washing downstairs to hang it out on the line?

starzig Wed 01-Nov-17 21:07:06

It's fine, we used to have a washing machine in the upstairs bathroom

TheQueenOfWands Wed 01-Nov-17 21:08:14

Sounds incredibly sensible.

And gives you a great chance to Pintrest some good washing area ideas.

FitBitFanClub Wed 01-Nov-17 21:08:24

This is very common in the States. They keep the washer in a deep tray, in case of leaks.

Ecureuil Wed 01-Nov-17 21:16:45

LoniceraJaponica our heated drying rail and tumble dryer were upstairs too. We had no outside space for a washing line. So no lugging of anything.

BuzzKillington Wed 01-Nov-17 21:22:47

We are thinking about reconfiguring a bit of wasted space upstairs to make a utility room and then use the downstairs utility as a large cloakroom.

I always think it's a bit bonkers having the washer and dryer downstairs. We would never peg out washing, so having it downstairs is pretty pointless.

Pennina Wed 01-Nov-17 21:25:54

We had ours upstairs in our old house and it was really great. The only thing I would say is that when we had a leak it made a mess of ceiling below. I saw another poster mentioned a tray for leaks so look into that maybe. Otherwise yes, it was really handy having it upstairs

slimyslitheryslug Wed 01-Nov-17 21:26:00

We considered this and I am glad we didn't go ahead as I think the spin cycle & the incessant bleeping at the end could be really annoying if the DC were asleep (as they often are in the evening when I do the washing). Having said that, people in flats, bungalows etc obviously manage & it's no different to that's

LoniceraJaponica Wed 01-Nov-17 21:32:15

"We would never peg out washing"

Why not? Lack of outdoor space?
We are fortunate to have a garden where I can dry my washing, so only use the tumble dryer on damp days (which is currently all the time sad)

Needmorehands Wed 01-Nov-17 21:38:12

Our washign machine is upstairs and I love it smile Kids get undressed at bathtime and throw stuff straight in fron tof the machine, no piles of clothes on kitchen floor.
Yes, as a PP mentioned (esp as ours is in room next to kids' bedroom) I don't do laundry overnight, but with a timer function it can be ready to dry by teh time we've finished breakfast smile

riddles26 Wed 01-Nov-17 22:01:09

We moved ours upstairs to make space for a dishwasher and it’s the best thing ever! It’s in a small room with tumble dryer above it. Clothes go straight into it at end of the day/when coming out of the shower. You only ever take washing downstairs if hanging out, on wet days, it all stays upstairs and out of sight

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now