Talk

Advanced search

to think football kits for kids are a waste of money

(31 Posts)
SeamusMacDubh Wed 01-Nov-17 18:16:16

DH went to a football match, came home with a home kit for DS. I'm miffed because we have previously discussed this and I consider it to be a complete waste of money.

I think that supporting the team he supports is expensive enough without forking out for kits for DS. It costs to buy the tickets, get there, stay overnight and all the food/beer he drinks when he's there. The kit cost £50.

dantdmistedious Wed 01-Nov-17 18:23:47

Can you afford the £50?

My twins have a kit each - they love it. Why wouldn’t you get it if you can afford it?

BumpowderSneezeonAndSnot Wed 01-Nov-17 18:27:10

I'm assuming if your kids watch the matches at the stadiums and go regularly then they are big fans and into their football. So to me £50 on a kit isn't a big deal unless you're skint.

ProfessorCat Wed 01-Nov-17 18:28:06

I think football kits for people who aren't actually playing football for that team are vile.

DereksGotATail Wed 01-Nov-17 18:28:33

DD has had a new footy shirt every year, since she was 3, and I've kept them all. She's 20 now.
It's not a waste of money if you can afford it and he's a keen supporter.

Oysterbabe Wed 01-Nov-17 18:33:47

Agree it depends if you can afford it. We buy kits for our kids.

christmaspudding1 Wed 01-Nov-17 18:34:06

my son has the kit £70 and he goes to all home and some away games (season ticket Premier team) he also wears his kit to football after school club and a few other times

i have no problem with it,i do have a gripe with the cost of away days and having to buy a ticket and all costs involved,but i settle my brain with thats what his maintanance can pay for

flowery Wed 01-Nov-17 18:35:50

Football kits wash really well, don’t need ironing, dry in a flash and last forever.

Whether you are justified in being “miffed” depends on whether the family can afford it or not really.

BlueNeighbourhood1 Wed 01-Nov-17 18:36:36

I'm a 33 year old woman and have all three shirts for my favourite PL team. I wear them when I play sports and for games. In no way are these a waste of money as they're actually great for physical activity!

Then again I can afford to spend £70 on a shirt with a name and number on. It's all down to circumstances.

2014newme Wed 01-Nov-17 18:38:43

My dd does gymnastics its £50 just for the leotard, £100 for the tracksuit.
I don't think you've got it too bad!

Whiskeywithwater Wed 01-Nov-17 18:39:22

I get them for both of my kids and don't see it as a waste - tbh, they tend to wear them more than any other item of clothing they own (aside from school uniform) so when you price it by wear they're by far the best value!
What I do find odd is adults that wear football kits (unless they play of course). My OH has been a season ticket holder at our local Prem side for over 30 years and said the general consensus from the diehards is also that it's a bit weird

nokidshere Wed 01-Nov-17 18:40:19

My two used to have the England ODI cricket kit.

They lived in it. Washed and dried in 20 mins. Barely any other clothes to wash. What's not to like grin

Santawontbelong Wed 01-Nov-17 18:41:11

My exh bought ds our town strip when he was born!! £40 for the top, shorts +socks (size 3-6 months!) still fit him on his first birthday! Def got money's worth!!
Was fuming though!!

Lules Wed 01-Nov-17 18:42:15

It's not a waste of money any more than anything else which isn't a necessity if you can afford it and it brings your son or your husband happiness.

BlueNeighbourhood1 Wed 01-Nov-17 18:43:17

Whiskeywithwater So basically you're not a diehard fan if you're an adult and wear a shirt to a game? I'm at a loss to explain this one. I've had a season ticket for eight years and because I wear a shirt to football games I'm not considered a proper fan?

Full strips look stupid but adults in their teams shirt is nothing at all to slate someone over

*runs off to get a Stone Island jacket a cap to fit in with the diehards

SomethingNewToday Wed 01-Nov-17 18:44:10

I think football kits for people who aren't actually playing football for that team are vile

Vile? Really? That's an oddly strong choice of language for something so inconsequential. You obviously don't have sons that are into football grin

I don't see why you would consider something your dc would enjoy as 'a waste' op. If you can afford it and it will bring the dc joy, why on Earth not?

Bubblebubblepop Wed 01-Nov-17 18:44:43

Vile?! How dramatic.

It's not that big of a deal surely?

Ttbb Wed 01-Nov-17 18:45:03

Yes. For £50 you could buy a little Joules rugby top in the team colours and send them in that instead. It's still sporty but can be worn outside of the football stadium and the lower middle class branding grants extra kudos so that you don't look like those kid of football watching people.

Ttbb Wed 01-Nov-17 18:46:16

*sarcasm btw. The whole thing is a waste of money. If you are throwing away money on going there etc when you could just watch it on tv/ignore it complete and do something productive you have no right to complain about merchandise.

Dixiebell Wed 01-Nov-17 18:52:25

My boys take a lot of cajoling to wear anything else other than football kit at weekends and after school. So for price per wear, it’s probably the best value piece of clothing we have! Plus they wash pretty well.

Whiskeywithwater Wed 01-Nov-17 18:57:50

Only saying what the impression seems to be. Personally I just think it looks a bit sad when adults wear them outside of a football environment ( except perhaps for playing some kind of non football related sport) .. but just my own opinion .. couldn't actually care less, and before this post had devoted next to no thought about it.
We also own no Stone Island items in our house ... as that's an even sadder look

BusyBeez99 Wed 01-Nov-17 19:01:46

My DS has our team shirt and wears it out of the stadium too. Stop being a snob

confused123456 Wed 01-Nov-17 19:03:55

I love them.
My son is 2, and he got his first one this summer, complete with his name, a number and the premier league badges (I don't like them without personally, I think they look plain and unfinished).
He will have one every year.
If you don't like them that's up to you, but plenty of people do.

ProfessorCat Wed 01-Nov-17 19:04:01

I didn't think vile was particularly dramatic!

I loathe football. I think the money the players are paid is wrong, the drinking and violence is disgusting and the mob mentality. It makes me cringe, all for a bunch of blokes kicking a bag of gas around some grass.

Sorry! I think adult men in football shirts look cheap and childish.

I do understand I'm in the minority though and that's just my personal opinion.

Oldraver Wed 01-Nov-17 19:09:44

DS has had his top for a couple of years so although the initial cost seemed a bit [shocked]...it's been good value. He just doesn't wear it to all away games.

You would love him this weekend...he's looking forward to wearing the whole ensemble...shirt, hat, scarf, gloves and coat

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: