Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To stand outside for fireworks when pregnant?

(64 Posts)
WaitingTillJuly17 Wed 01-Nov-17 17:46:39

I'm 19 weeks pregnant and we're going to a family member for fireworks this weekend and my DM has just demanded that I stay indoors as the noise will endanger the baby! I basically said don't be stupid and she then started to say she was going to get my DH/DF onside too to convince me to stay inside.

I was then called the worst pregnant woman ever due to my lack of concern for mine and my babies health!

Now, no amount of threatening or cajoling has ever been effective in getting me to do something that I don't want to and at this point I threatened to start lighting the fireworks rather than just be a bystander if she didn't stop her nonsense (I wouldn't actually, as I'm not sure I'd be able to make a quick getaway 😑) but before I start a different type of fireworks at the weekend tell me, is there a reason for me to stay inside on fireworks night?!

bigchris Wed 01-Nov-17 17:47:39

Your mother is crazy !

Santawontbelong Wed 01-Nov-17 17:48:08

The only reason to stay in is no nobody sees you with such a numpty!!

Catalufa Wed 01-Nov-17 17:48:32

Of course YANBU!

Fruitcorner123 Wed 01-Nov-17 17:48:44

No thats just silly. Enjoy the fireworks. You might not get to go next year with a baby because they might actually be scared.

DartmoorDoughnut Wed 01-Nov-17 17:49:10

That has to be the most batshit thing I’ve ever heard 😂

scurryfunge Wed 01-Nov-17 17:49:38

Go outside as planned and tell DM that you'll be calling the child Guy if it's a boy.

Undercoverbanana Wed 01-Nov-17 17:49:45

Bed rest for you young lady!!!! You are not allowed to so much as lift a cup of tea for the next 5 months. Your DM is a loon.

ColinCreevy Wed 01-Nov-17 17:50:32

Your mama's lost her mind.

64BooLane Wed 01-Nov-17 17:51:56

Where on earth did she get this idea? YANBU

Mulch Wed 01-Nov-17 17:52:04

I was expecting something completely different from your title. Along the lines of pregnant and dont want to have to stand around to watch fireworks. Your mum's just crazy

AllTheWittyNamesAreGone Wed 01-Nov-17 17:53:03

every time a loud one goes of lift your top so baby can hear it better.

WaitingTillJuly17 Wed 01-Nov-17 17:53:38

Good to hear I'm not on my own on this one! Undercoverbanana you joke about the tea but my DMIL actually tried to stop me lifting a jug of gravy when we were having a roast a few weeks ago! 😂😂😂 I'm getting fed up of being wrapped in cotton wool (except when I'm feeling tired and nauseous of course!).

Spudlet Wed 01-Nov-17 17:54:02

Get a set of ear defenders and attach them to your abdomen. grin

SandyDenny Wed 01-Nov-17 17:54:13

Is she usually so stupid?

Nishky Wed 01-Nov-17 17:55:31

Well actually your mum does have a point because

No actually she really doesn’t.....

lilydaisyrose Wed 01-Nov-17 17:55:54

Haha, I was 35w last 5th Nov & this didn't even cross my mind! Your Mum is crazy!

Undercoverbanana Wed 01-Nov-17 17:58:11

I would just love to hear about your DM's own pregnancy.

EdmundCleverClogs Wed 01-Nov-17 18:00:00

That has to be the most batshit thing I’ve ever heard

Really? The 'if your son won't use the toilet at home, we'll take him to lunch at the Dorchester - he won't be able to resist their posh toilets' thread is still my top 'batshit advice' list!

However, your mum and mil need to calm down, you'll be fine as will the baby from noisy fireworks and gravy boats grin

JudgeRulesNutterButter Wed 01-Nov-17 18:04:05

Have you pointed out that the unborn baby does not yet have ears?

<<Disclaimer: might not be true, I cba to google, but your DM won't know>>

LaBelleSausage Wed 01-Nov-17 18:06:39

I will be 38 weeks pregnant on bonfire night and have tickets to stand next to a bonfire in a muddy field where commercial fireworks be let off.

I am not at all concerned, although my DM is convinced I will go into labour (like I’m a stray cat or something).
Could be a generational thing confused

BluthsFrozenBananas Wed 01-Nov-17 18:07:52

Yep, batshit. DH does the fireworks for a big party at the in laws every year. Due a family member being a midwife we normally have at least three of four midwives as guests, also due to the demographic we normally have at least one pregnant guest. Not once has a midwife suggested pregnant women should not watch fireworks.

Dancinggoat Wed 01-Nov-17 18:07:57

I’d put ear defenders on your bump - better safe than sorry !

Spudlet Wed 01-Nov-17 18:21:30

Tadaaaaaa... simply play improving music, or maybe a learn Madarin podcast, to drown out the bangs!

3out Wed 01-Nov-17 18:21:57

Haha! Oh please do this (*@dancinggoat*). I’d love to see her face when you say ‘quite right. That’s why I have these’ 😂

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now