Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be scarred by scam phone call even though I didn't tell them anything?

(24 Posts)
TeamLannister Wed 01-Nov-17 16:03:05

Hi, feeling a bit anxious, hopefully unnecessarily...
Had a phone call this morning supposedly from BT to say my broadband was hacked by some one in the US. Asked if I used Wi-Fi between 01.00 & 04.00 & if knew anyone at an address in California. I told her no & she asked me to check if my ip address was showing as UK or US & I told her I didn't know how to do that as I had gotten suspicious & hung up. She had asked if any devices were on line & I said no but DD was on her tablet watching Netflix at the time. Am I being a paranoid mess to be worried?? I'm usually really on the ball with potential scammers so I'm really annoyed I didn't hang up immediately!!

TeamLannister Wed 01-Nov-17 16:04:45

Scared not scarred, damn phone!!

MrsJayy Wed 01-Nov-17 16:06:11

Urgh they are getting more and more devious, I am sure it is fine though you gave no personal details I would ring your provider and report it though

PuntasticUsername Wed 01-Nov-17 16:06:55

Was your daughter using a US ip address so she could watch Netflix US?

abbsisspartacus Wed 01-Nov-17 16:06:59

Ring bt about it they will check it's a scam and advise you accordingly

redshoeblueshoe Wed 01-Nov-17 16:08:35

But you didn't give her any info, so there is nothing to worry about. So called BT people ring me up all the time, I'm not with BT so they wouldn't be ringing. I always tell them to fuck off unless I'm bored and try to keep them on the line for ages

DianaPrincessOfThemyscira Wed 01-Nov-17 16:08:39

Yes YABU to be scared.

TeamLannister Wed 01-Nov-17 16:12:30

No DD is only 7 she wouldn't have a clue about ip addresses, neither would I or DH. I know I'm being silly to worry, but I'm a bit freaked out that I entered into any conversation at all!

messyjessy17 Wed 01-Nov-17 16:13:39

You need to chill. There are plenty of scams out there, and you gave them nothing. so what is there to stress over?

Fruitcorner123 Wed 01-Nov-17 16:16:07

My mum has this. It makes you feel uneasy but she rang BT and checked it wasnt thwm ( thus reporting it and checking security at the same time) I would say nothing to worry about but ring BT to put your mind at ease.

FittonTower Wed 01-Nov-17 16:18:00

Ultimately they will have been trying to get you to log on to a particular website so they could harvest your bank details and stuff. You didn't do That, you are fine.

MrsJayy Wed 01-Nov-17 16:41:45

My parents got the tax office scam thankfully Ihad it a few days before and told them or they would be pressing all sorts on the phone, scammers are total scum

DriveInSaturday Wed 01-Nov-17 16:49:21

My dad had this. As pps have said, just phone BT to report it and confirm everything is ok. It's horrible because although you know it's very unlikely to be true, there's a nagging doubt in your mind.

LIZS Wed 01-Nov-17 16:59:14

I've had "Brian" and "George", both with heavy accents, call me from "BT Telecom" this week , wanting to discuss my broadband service being cut off hmm. Both stuttered in their script , especially when I mentioned TPS. They must be doing the rounds. Try not to engage next time, although I know how discomforting it is as we regularly get emails from random addresses suggesting our email mailbox is full and about to be deleted.

SandyDenny Wed 01-Nov-17 17:02:53

What exactly are you scared about? These people are scammers, they don't know anything about you, it's random number dialing.

I like to enjoy a bit of winding them up if I'm not doing anything else when they call, they usually don't know two to deal with going off their script at all, lots of fun to be had.

PumpkinSquash Wed 01-Nov-17 17:15:34

I wouldn't worry, you didn't tell them any details and hung up.
Hate land line cold calls.
As an aside - your 7 year old is online on her tablet between 1am and 4am?!

TeamLannister Wed 01-Nov-17 17:21:01

Sandy I think it's because I doubted myself and engaged instead of telling her to bog off! Rang BT who confirmed it's a scam & that they never contact customers unless the customer has contacted them about an issue first.

TeamLannister Wed 01-Nov-17 17:22:38

No Pumpkin, she was on her tablet when the scumbag scammer rang this morning, not in the middle of the night!! grin

Mxyzptlk Wed 01-Nov-17 17:26:38

I don't think you were unreasonable to be worried. It's unsettling to think that engaging with them in any way might be the wrong thing to do.
Glad you checked up and it's okay.

NataliaOsipova Wed 01-Nov-17 17:33:23

Someone called me, saying they were from BT and were calling to help me with my computer. I burst into near-hysterical laughter. When he asked what was the matter, I told him that the last time I needed help from BT, I had to sit on the phone for well over 45 minutes and listen to a rather poor recording of Vivaldi's Four Seasons, only to be told that they'd try and fix it within three weeks. So the idea that someone would actually phone me to offer assistance was, well, laughable.

He hung up.

leonardthelemming Wed 01-Nov-17 17:36:51

There are some amusing YouTube videos where people have completely turned the tables on these scammers. As a pp said, they know nothing beyond their script. In one video, iirc, the "victim" got remote access to the scammer's computer and changed the password so the scammer couldn't use it. Worth a watch. But right to be very careful, though.

0nesie Wed 01-Nov-17 17:41:27

I have had 2 of these today from "Talk Talk" about my supposedly faulty WIFI and they are complete scams. It was an person with a strong Indian accent both times trying to get access to my computer. I know talk talk have a free call barring service. Do BT have something similar?

0nesie Wed 01-Nov-17 17:43:46

I always say to them "you called me, so can you confirm my name, customer number and address?" and then they hang up.

Chartreuse45 Wed 01-Nov-17 18:07:55

I have heard that they get you to say yes. "Can you hear me?" This gets recorded and used to buy things over the phone, using your "answering" yes. It seems this does not apply to you!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: