Talk

Advanced search

Cyclic vomiting syndrome - ds 4

(10 Posts)
arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh Wed 01-Nov-17 12:36:53

Sorry to post here but I’ve posted things in health before and not had many replies.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Ds 4 has had probably 5-10 episodes (suspicious that some sickness bugs were this also) where he wakes up and throws up everywhere. Just the once. Then lies around for a few hours so lethargic and ill looking. Then around lunch perks up and eats a huge lunch. Then sleeps 3 hours and is fine!

I googled symptoms and it sounds very much like cyclic vomiting brought on by stress, excitement and late nights. Every episode he’s had has been before a party or event.

Dh doesn’t want to go to the doctor as it’s only the once he’s sick and not likely to cause much damage.

I think it would be good to get an answer or rule out other things.

Anyone have experience of this?

wheresthel1ght Wed 01-Nov-17 12:39:58

My dd does this when she is upset about something. To be honest it has never occurred to me to look into it further. Maybe I should,

Honestly I am with your dh, if it is a result of stress etc then there probably isn't much a go can do. As long as there are no other symptoms or issues that concern you about it then I would do nothing.

CMOTDibbler Wed 01-Nov-17 12:44:54

Whats the time interval between these episodes? The characteristic thing with CVS is that they are regular - mine were every 5 months, though I got to throw up for up to 16 hours.

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh Wed 01-Nov-17 12:46:17

Pretty much bang on 4-5 weeks between episodes. That’s what had me baffled too.

mrsreynolds Wed 01-Nov-17 12:46:59

Abdominal migraine??
Iirc cvs causes severe vomiting?
My son used to do like yours - throw up once then sleep then be fine next day
He's now on an anti migraine meds - not happened since

shouldnthavesaid Wed 01-Nov-17 12:50:28

I posted about this on another thread earlier but I am much the same as your son although much older (26) - I am sick often for no real reason and can usually eat normally within 12 hours. GP has suggested its just my stomach - I had CMPA as a baby and still quite dairy intolerant . Suggestion was my stomach is just quite sensitive to lots of things.. needles, pain or anticipation of pain, tiredness, anxiety, rich food, medications, late nights, ansesthetics, periods etc all trigger me off. Certainly even the smell of milk, cream etc makes me feel nauseous so think there is a link. I honestly think sometimes it can become like an association thing , because you've done it once body wants to do it again?

I've never had much tests - as a baby I apparently vomited every day for 6 months - was admitted to isolation unit as a precaution - and as a child taken to general medical wards, got a couple of x rays and IV fluids a couple of times but only when continual vomiting for 2 or 3 days made me dehydrated. Doesn't happen now.

Never been investigated as an adult - just told to avoid any obvious triggers and take anti emetics if needed.

I would see the GP , just to be absolutely sure but wouldn't worry too much. A food diary might help identify any less obvious triggers.

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh Wed 01-Nov-17 12:55:21

I’ve just checked and the incidents are pretty much bang on every 5 weeks!

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh Wed 01-Nov-17 12:55:38

Shouldn’t have that sounds awful!

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh Wed 01-Nov-17 13:20:12

Omg! Dh has realised he had it as a kid! They kept testing him for strep and we’re going to take out his tonsils!

He’d vomit for a day and feel awful then be fine.

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh Wed 01-Nov-17 13:20:44

And I guess it’s a genetic thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now