Talk

Advanced search

To think that if you have decorated your house, then its fair to assume you are happy to help trick or treaters knocking?

(86 Posts)
BasinHaircut Wed 01-Nov-17 08:38:26

House down my road, went all-out with the decorations. Looked really good and as I walked past it on the way home I wondered whether DS would even want to knock there as it looked quite scary.

Anyway as we went out to knock on the few houses on my road that were decorated/had pumpkins out, I noticed that a bunch of kids were knocking at spooky house but getting no answer. A minute or two later we approached the house again and other kids were knocking there so we skipped it but they again didn’t answer. Then another few minutes later we returned and DS knocked and you guessed it, they didn’t answer. The TV was on inside and I could hear people inside.

AIBU to think it’s weird to put so much effort into decorating your house for Halloween but then not get involved?

sooperdooper Wed 01-Nov-17 08:39:46

Yeah that's odd, I generally think the decorations are an invite to knock!

WhatwouldAryado Wed 01-Nov-17 08:41:28

It's odd but maybe they have a bell and Don't hear a knock.

beingsunny Wed 01-Nov-17 08:42:46

Yes it’s odd, we only knock at houses which are decorated

BarbarianMum Wed 01-Nov-17 08:43:28

Its odd but, as long as they're not getting cross at children knocking, its just one of thise things. Maybe yhey ran out of sweets?

trixymalixy Wed 01-Nov-17 08:44:16

The best decorated houses run out of treats earlier. They should have put up a sign though.

BibbidiBobbidi Wed 01-Nov-17 08:51:46

Strange.
Could they have been having a Halloween party and didn’t hear the door?

BasinHaircut Wed 01-Nov-17 09:01:54

It was only half five, I don’t think they could have run out of treats, and it didn’t sound like a party inside either. V strange. If I hadn’t heard people moving about inside I’d have been worried something was wrong.

FlaviaAlbia Wed 01-Nov-17 09:06:41

It could have been me. Good intentions but then we all got hit with a d&v bug.

I thought people would rather not witness us re-enact a scenes from the exorcism so didn't answer the door.

TabbyMumz Wed 01-Nov-17 09:08:28

Even worse when people knock on your door when you have no decorations up at all. None!! So annoying.

washingmachinefastwash Wed 01-Nov-17 09:10:10

Maybe they ran out of treats for the kids and ignored the door.

BackBoiler Wed 01-Nov-17 09:11:23

We had a few on our road - one was ours although I was taking my kids out so obviously I was unable to answer - the others I said perhaps they are having their tea. We walked past some of those on the way home and the kids knocked again and they answered.

Just because they have decorated they might be doing other things like eating, showering at the toilet.....

JaneEyre70 Wed 01-Nov-17 09:12:42

We decorated the house for our grandchildren to come for tea - put pumpkins and decorations outside. By 6pm we'd emptied about 6 multipacks of Haribo so I left a little note out saying "sorry but we've had a lot more trick and treaters than we anticipated so supplies have gone but have a great night". We got egged in return so that's my morning sorted hmm.

yousignup Wed 01-Nov-17 09:13:00

Not in the UK, so I don't know the ettiquette. Surely however if it's your house, you should be able to decorate exactly when and how you want, without being beholden to anyone's expectations?

R2G Wed 01-Nov-17 09:16:19

Lol at you getting egged! How rude!
My house was decorated but I was out for a bit dropping kids somewhere. The tv was on for the cAt in case there were fireworks

TheLittleShirt Wed 01-Nov-17 09:20:08

I have always decorated my house and assumed that other houses that are decorated are in invitation to knock. I always told my dd and her friends to only knock at decorated houses, one neighbour always decorated and sent her kids out, but refused to answer her own door. Last night was the first time I didn't decorate, but still kids came knocking!

grannytomine Wed 01-Nov-17 09:23:34

It could have been me. Good intentions but then we all got hit with a d&v bug. Oh I had that yesterday. I thought I was dying. I just feel a bit wobbly this morning, are you over it today?

BarbarianMum Wed 01-Nov-17 09:23:36

If you decorate your house for Halloween round hete, that's a signal that you are "playing" and trick or treaters will call. All the children know to only go to decorated houses and when your treats run out (or you've had enough) you take in the decorations or put a note up explaining. Its a good system because if you don't want to plsy no one will bother you. If you want to assert your right to decorate your house "because you can" with no intention of joining in then you are going to spend the evening turning children away and people will think you're an idiot.

caoraich Wed 01-Nov-17 09:23:46

Are they new to the area?

I ask as when we first moved in we just didn't think about getting trick or treaters (having moved from a flat in a studenty area) and had a halloween housewarming party with loads of decor. We got floods of kids at the door which was lovely as we did have sweets to give them and had been off work anyway that day so were already dressed up etc, but it was really for our party guests who we didn't expect until 8ish!

This year we decorated the house but weren't actually ready for trick or treaters til about 6 due to work. They might have still been eating tea at 5.30?

lastnamefirstfirstnamelast Wed 01-Nov-17 09:25:34

Maybe they just didnt hear the knock

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Wed 01-Nov-17 09:25:52

I assume that if there is a lit pumpkin out they welcome knocking. If there's no pumpkin then they don't want to be pestered.

There's a house near me that's had very impressive Halloween decorations since before half term. No idea if they welcome knocking because we didn't go out trick or treating but they have 8 foot gates so that probably keeps the riff raff out wink

frogsoup Wed 01-Nov-17 09:27:32

They'd probably gone out trick or treating themselves. We did that yesterday, sorry. It was enough of a faff lighting the pumpkin candles in the wind in the first place, I wasn't about to blow them out again while we went out. We were only gone 45 mins or so, we were handing out sweets the rest of the evening!

whiskyowl Wed 01-Nov-17 09:28:44

I would assume decorations are an invitation, but that doesn't mean people are obliged to answer. Maybe they'd run out of chocolates by that point, or were just sick of answering!

oklookingahead Wed 01-Nov-17 09:30:13

I think perhaps there aren't any clear conventions (yet?) so I had thought people now only knocked at decorated houses these days, but have been told there were dc knocking at 'dark' houses last night.

So you might think you're entering into the spirit of the thing by decorating your house even if you don't want to answer to t or ters - which is then confusing for those who assume it's an invitation to knock! I certainly would have assumed it was.

I see the point about parties though - you might well decorate the front door and windows for a dcs' party, even if you're not planning to answer t or ters. Doubt we will ever develop a 'decorations code' for that!

ClownsAndJokers Wed 01-Nov-17 09:30:39

LED candles are the future, frogsoup! No flame to blow out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now