Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tha age old debate-CM v nursery (or both)

(17 Posts)
Sweetheartyparty76 Wed 01-Nov-17 04:13:47

Posting for traffic really. My DD is coming up to 1 and I will be returning to work full time from January. I am using my accrued holidays to work 3 days a week to Christmas with DD being looked after by GP, DP and nursery 1 day each week. My DP shifts will also be changing so he won't be able to take her 1 day per week in the new year.
The nursery she'll go to is very good, rated outstanding. She has had some pre-visits and seems to enjoy it but has developed really bad colds from 2 of those visits. They're flexible on dates up to 4 weeks in advance (and perhaps less than that) but long days from 8am to 6pm. They have a key worker system but every time DD has visited the staff have been changed each time but all lovely and my DD hasn't seemed to mind.

I was all set for nursery until we found out my partner was going full time because they were flexible around DP's shifts. It would have allowed my DP to look after her 1dpw. Now he is full time, DD will be in nursery 4dpw which I feel is too much.

I've found a lovely CM, new to the role (passed ofsted but unrated) but was a paediatric nurse. I liked her immediately, seemed very professional and was very interactive with my DD. She goes to playgroups, music groups and such like. I like that i work flexible hours so some days I can be home for 4pm and only pay for hours I use. However, she can only do 4dpw which suits us as PIL take DD 1dpw fine but can only 3dpw in the school holidays. We don't have much support except my PIL so little room for error.

Do you think it's workable to put DD in nursery for 1dpw (or 2 during school holidays), CM 3dpw and GP 1dpw? My DD is laid back and confident but I worry that she will be confused by the variety of people looking after her during the week. Has anyone made nursery/CM combo work?
Thanks for reading my very long post

Mollieben Wed 01-Nov-17 07:06:47

I wouldn't put It child, especially one so young, into a nursery for only one day a day. It just isn't enough in my opinion. (I manage a nursery.) they struggle to settle, struggle to form bonds with staff or other children etc... I'd do 2 days nursery and 2 days childminder or just choose one of them xx

Mollieben Wed 01-Nov-17 07:07:40

Sorry, not 'it' child - damn phone smile

InDubiousBattle Wed 01-Nov-17 07:12:13

I don't think one day a week is enough to settle well at nursery. My dc go to pre school and they insist on 2 sessions (on 2 days)at least or they find they don't settle. I would go with the cm. Can you, your dp and gp between you cover the extra day a week during holidays with annual leave.

Amatree Wed 01-Nov-17 07:12:59

I second the pp saying one day a week isn't enough for them to settle. Our nursery requires two days a week minimum at that age for this reason.

We went with a nursery largely because it should be more reliable than a single CM who could get ill - we have no family support for back up in that situation. I also like the fact that there are multiple staff in a nursery so they are accountable to each other if that makes sense. A CM can tell you anything and you just have to believe them. But I know people getting on brilliantly with a CM so it's a personal choice. But I would pick one or the other and stick with that plus one day with GP. Good luck whatever you decide.

Adviceplease360 Wed 01-Nov-17 07:14:45

Stick with one, preferably the child minder.

Snap8TheCat Wed 01-Nov-17 07:14:51

I would just use the cm and use both parents annual leave/ gps if available to cover the extra day in the holidays.

Sirzy Wed 01-Nov-17 07:15:16

I think if you mix and match settings too much that would get more confusing for her and increase chances of issues with settling.

toomanykidstocount Wed 01-Nov-17 07:16:15

Lots of nurseries recommend a minimum of 2 days, and yes, there is quite often a high staff turnover (not that it's a problem, just something to think of). I've always used a CM who is lovely and does lots of the groups and parks etc that I would go to. I've always preferred a home environment when the children are little and pre school for the year before they start school.

silverraven123 Wed 01-Nov-17 07:16:40

I also manage a nursery and completely agree with mollieben! Children who attend just one day a week can find it difficult to settle. I would also do 2 days of each, or pick just one if you are able to.

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Wed 01-Nov-17 07:18:14

I would always try for a childminder with a child that young. Mine works as a team with other CMS that have my DS when she's ill or away. He's perfectly fine with them because he sees them most days when he's there. He started with her on one day per week when he was 11 months, and now does three days (he's four now).

VeryPunny Wed 01-Nov-17 07:20:03

My DC were in an excellent workplace nursery from a young age and have thrived. There was a dedicated baby room and the staff were awesome. I’ve seen too many childminders just stick babies in car seats or prams when out and about with older charges, and don’t really understand why people seem to rate them over good nurseries for young children. My nursery were also all set up for BLW, differing nap schedules etc as well.

insancerre Wed 01-Nov-17 07:23:05

I'm also a nursery manager and in my experience the more sessions the child does the easier they find it to settle in
Full timers have a much easier time than part timers
I think you should just pick the one setting, either the nursery or the cm.
I see no benefit to having her in 2 settings

Theworldisfullofidiots Wed 01-Nov-17 07:28:23

I agree with above. Pick one.
Also your dc will get ill and pick up bugs in whichever setting. Upside is when they go to school they will get much less as they have built up their immune system.

AuntLydia Wed 01-Nov-17 07:34:06

Pick one and ignore VeryPunny. There are no more bad childminders than there are bad nurseries. Sounds like you are lucky to have found two good settings, I'm sure either will work well for your family.

vdbfamily Wed 01-Nov-17 07:36:10

Can you not use A/L between the 2 of you to cover that extra day in the holidays? With occasional days from grandparents?

welshweasel Wed 01-Nov-17 07:42:13

I'd say stick with one. There are excellent nurseries and excellent childminders. Children will thrive with either. If you're genuinely happy with both then go with the one that will work out cheaper! We were in a similar position and went with the outstanding nursery mainly because of the fact they are open 51 weeks of the year so we don't have to worry about covering holidays. DS is also very routine driven and the childminder couldn't guarantee to maintain nap schedules etc which the nursery did. If you've got two good options then you're in a nice position!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now