Talk

Advanced search

AIBU To want to get fired from my job.

(24 Posts)
Hopeinabottle Tue 31-Oct-17 22:20:52

I should be sleeping now, instead I'm up worrying and stressed out about my job.
I had been a stay at home mum to my two children, i'm a single mum, my youngest 6 and the eldest 9. This is my first job in 10 years. It really boosted my confidence when I got the job but now my confidence is knocked. I started this job 3 months ago and on the very first day I realised I made a huge mistake accepting the position.
The work environment is chaotic, noisy and unpleasant. The staff are constantly bitching and very rude. I really hate working there and really want to leave. but if I do, I will not get financial assistance from the government if I quit. My manager who has told me how well I'm doing in my job, but at the same time is very abrupt and arrogant to me. I am thinking of messing up my work load so I will be dismissed. I just want a normal job in a stable atmosphere? AIBU? 😭

MehMehAndMeh Tue 31-Oct-17 22:23:15

You know you are but I do understand the strong pull to not be there anymore.
Put those efforts into finding another job ASAP. You got this one, you can find another.

Best wishes.

ScipioAfricanus Tue 31-Oct-17 22:23:42

Can’t you try to find a different job? I think YABU to ask the government to subsidise you because the work is unpleasant. If it started to affect your mental health that would be another thing but although you aren’t happy there it sounds like you are coping presently. I’ve worked at many jobs that have driven me to tears and been very difficult at times. If you can look for an alternative where you are likely to be happier I think that’s far more reasonable than quitting at this point.

Notanothernamechangeaddict Tue 31-Oct-17 22:24:17

Start looking for a new job, there's loads of seasonal temporary work out there, take a seasonal job and keep looking for something better, if you haven't found anything by January at least you will be at the end of a temporary contract and not quitting or trying to get fired

ScipioAfricanus Tue 31-Oct-17 22:26:41

Also if you are dismissed for incompetence this is likely to affect references and future jobs. It might motivate you to stay on good terms with them if you remind yourself of that potential pitfall.

Princessgenie Tue 31-Oct-17 22:29:07

You might need to check that you can actually claim anything if you are dismissed. If you do something that gets you fired then you have in essence made yourself unemployed. I'm not entirely certain that you can then claim.

snowtippedmountain Tue 31-Oct-17 22:30:03

You're doing well so that's a positive. See it as a means to an end, grit your teeth, do the best job you can whilst you gain experience then move on to something better.
So much more positive in the long run than getting yourself fired so you can go back on benefits. What would your self esteem be like then?

ChrisPrattsFace Tue 31-Oct-17 22:30:52

Look for another job?!
Also getting fired will not look good for anything in the future - your first job in ten years you get fired from?
Look for something else, please don't rely on the government to fund you because you find your work place unpleasant.
(You should try working in my hell hole - now that is unpleasant!)

Appuskidu Tue 31-Oct-17 22:32:15

If you do something to get yourself fired, I can't imagine you'll get any financial support from the government either.

BarbarianMum Tue 31-Oct-17 22:32:54

Yes, brilliant. hmm Get fired - then you'll be short of money and find it hard to get another job. So much better than resigning or finding a new job first.

Viviennemary Tue 31-Oct-17 22:35:03

Regardless of benefits it would be very unwise to get yourself fired from your job. This will affect your references and therefore your chances of employment or finding a better job. If your manager has praised you and is sympathetic you could raise the question of the unpleasant atmosphere and see what they say. But this is quite a difficult thing to do for a new person.

You'd be better off starting to look for another job.

Hopeinabottle Tue 31-Oct-17 22:35:25

I am looking for another job. But it's really difficult finding one that matches my current job title and earnings. Not that there's anything wrong with shop work, but I have had no experience in that field. I will keep looking though as today was pretty unbearable. I feel ashamed and a bit of a failure discussing how I feel with friends and family about this. I feel like I'm letting my children down for not being strong enough.

ButchyRestingFace Tue 31-Oct-17 22:35:42

I just want a normal job in a stable atmosphere? AIBU? 😭

And how do you propose to get a normal, stable job if you go and get yourself fired?

Why not just do what most people do when they're unhappy in a job and look for something else? Or even, worst case scenario, RESIGN?

But don't shoot yourself in the foot in this way. They always say it's easier to find a job when you're in a job.

Mumof56 Tue 31-Oct-17 22:36:53

Learn some resilience. Not every workplace is Disney land. You've had the government supporting you for years. Time to step up and start paying for your own children.

HerOtherHalf Tue 31-Oct-17 22:38:23

Lots of people endure jobs they don't like, hell very few of us work for the sheer pleasure of it. Stick it out until you find another job. Worth noting that the government wouldn't actually use their own money to provide you with financial assistance. They use taxpayers money, from all us other mugs that go out to work even though we can all think of other things we'd rather be doing. The world does not owe you a living, YABU.

Phantomoutforthechill Tue 31-Oct-17 22:42:04

hope I have no idea about the nature of your job, obviously, but you seem to be coming at it with 'fresh eyes'. This could be a starting point to make improvements, if your thoughts can be shared with the right people within the organisation.

Graphista Tue 31-Oct-17 22:47:48

Get some support - there are various organisations and charities who could even advocate for you to get things remedied in current position.

DO NOT get fired. You won't be entitled to benefits and with the current UC debacle goodness knows when you're next money would come in.

In addition if it's getting you down visit gp for support.

Hopeinabottle Tue 31-Oct-17 22:47:53

Thanks for all of your replies. Sorry, I have had to have a good cry just now I can't even remember the last time I did that. I know IABU . Going to take all the suggestions on board. x

ScipioAfricanus Tue 31-Oct-17 22:49:24

It’s tough, OP, and a good cry can work wonders. Hope you can find a better job soon.

ButchyRestingFace Tue 31-Oct-17 22:49:39

You've had the government supporting you for years. Time to step up and start paying for your own children.

Where did she say this?

madein1995 Tue 31-Oct-17 23:03:24

Keep looking for other work. I know just how horrible it is dreading going to work - my bad experience damaged my MH and confidence. Keep looking, and good luck

AcrossthePond55 Tue 31-Oct-17 23:04:11

Remember you've been out of the job market for 10 years, essentially being 'self employed' as a SAHM. You were able to control your work and set your own schedule (in a manner of speaking). Now you're back in the work-a-day world where you are performing your tasks at another person's timetable (the boss). Every job, no matter where, has the mean boss, the backbiter, the boss's pet, the whiner, the shirker. And everyone complains and can be rude at times. You've only been working 3 months. Give yourself some time to get back into the swing of things with this job before you take as drastic an action as getting yourself fired.

problembottom Tue 31-Oct-17 23:11:22

You're not a failure, I've worked in some toxic environments and it is bloody difficult. Three months is a short time though, it takes at least six months to bed in I find. Is it worth persevering?

When I had a really stressful job with a horrible boss and wasn't sleeping well I asked myself what the worst that could happen was. I decided it was a massive fuck up which would get me sacked and like you I didn't think that would be too awful! I realised whatever happened my life wouldn't end, the world wouldn't stop, and I'd be fine in the long run, and I stopped stressing so much.

MyMorningHasBroken Tue 31-Oct-17 23:22:31

Hope, have you tried getting work in a school? I work as a TA and there are jobs out there. The pay isn't great but I find working with kids rewarding (albeit noisy!) and I enjoy the atmosphere.
I was a SAHM for 7 years when with my husband but when we separated had to get back to work quickly. Took a large pay cut and not able to get into what I did before but it's a case of starting over again for lots of us unfortunately. sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: