Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to travel around Israel, Egypt and Jordan?

(14 Posts)
Lalalalallala Tue 31-Oct-17 21:56:52

Is it truly dangerous (if we take precautions)? Also will that combination of countries pose a problem? Still very early days of planning but my travel partner and I would be keen.

FittonTower Tue 31-Oct-17 21:59:59

They're not the safest places to visit but thays reletive isnt it? Thousands (millions?) of people are there every day leading totally uneventful lives or holidays.

Lalalalallala Tue 31-Oct-17 22:01:26

No definitely I agree - I just mean as tourists.

ememem84 Tue 31-Oct-17 22:02:22

I was in Israel last year. It was amazing. Jerusalem and tel Aviv for business.

I’ve never felt safer anywhere.

Whilst there there was a shooting and a stabbing in the old part of Jerusalem. We didn’t see anything or know it had happened until we left.

There is a huge police presence security is everywhere and is tight.

TheTurnOfTheScrew Tue 31-Oct-17 22:04:58

how are you planning to get around? I think I'd feel happy to visit the major tourist areas, perhaps flying between them, but wouldn't want to get a bus from Israel across the Sinai towards Cairo for example.

thenightsky Tue 31-Oct-17 22:05:56

Israel are currently advertising holidays on the tv every day.

I travelled around Egypt with DH and DS, but 10 years ago. It was fine. We hired local guides.

Jordan was accessible via a ferry over the Gulf of Aquaba, but we never went there due to stories about how long they kept people waiting in immigration. I'd still love to see Petra though.

The most tedious part was moving from Egypt to Israel via the Taba border crossing. It took hours. I'm not even sure if you can cross at the moment anyway.

cochineal7 Tue 31-Oct-17 22:09:17

I travel regularly there for work and used to live in Jordan. It is interesting and safe. Would personally not now go to Egypt (been there in the past) but have friends who do go without issues. To be honest, there have been more attacks in London last year than in Jordan.

KimKatCourtney Tue 31-Oct-17 22:09:41

Israel is fab - lots to see great place to tour around

Littlefuckers Tue 31-Oct-17 22:17:48

You may need two passports OP if you are planning and doing the three countries at the same time due to Visa issues.
All beautiful countries, I preferred the desert to any were else, but if you have the opportunity then definitely go. I don't think any were is particularly safe at the moment to be honest.

bunerison Tue 31-Oct-17 22:23:44

You will be fine in Israel, security is very tight everywhere but it's no more dangerous than anywhere else is currently. Tel Aviv is the most amazing, fun, buzzy, modern European city. Incredible beaches, great shopping, top class restaurants, wonderful theatres and galleries and Jews and Arabs getting on with their lives and intermingling together. Jerusalem is fascinating too. It's probably a bit more tense in the old city than it is elsewhere in the city but I've never felt unsafe

Eddierussett Tue 31-Oct-17 22:26:59

Did a tour round Jordan last year and loved it. They are struggling with falling tourism because they are next to Syria so people assume it us dangerous when it is relatively safe (that said there was an attack at one of the sites we visited a few weeks later but then there have been attacks in England, France, US etc...). Stay away from the areas near Syria! Petra is amazing as are the roman ruins north of Amman. Really enjoyed floating in the dead Sea too but not that taken by Aqaba.

There are issues travelling between various countries in that area in terms of visas and having stamps in your passport from certain countries. The lonely planet guide for Jordan has a section telling you how and where to cross to not have problems.

justilou1 Tue 31-Oct-17 22:29:52

I'd love to go, but the Aussie Govt travel site states "Reconsider your need to travel" in these zones as tourists are being targeted.

Lalalalallala Tue 31-Oct-17 22:29:53

Yes this is what I’m wondering re passport stamps and going to all three countries - can anyone advise? Unfortunately only have the one passport. Also looking at going to Russia a month before, hoping this won’t pose problems?

Thanks so much for all the advice - seems great!

Eddierussett Wed 01-Nov-17 00:09:49

www.lonelyplanet.com/jordan/visas has information on the border stamps issue. Looks like you should be OK but can always ask for your stamps on a loose paper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now