Talk

Advanced search

Vicks vapour rub

(22 Posts)

I’m so confused about if this is safe or not to put on toddlers feet (Dd is 19mo). There is no let up from her coughing. Just got over 1 lot of coughing only to be taken down by another lot. Drs have checked her lungs and all is fine there.
Some reports say it’s fine to rub vicks on their feet for some relief from coughing and others say to not do it (this is all from dr google though).
What’s the verdict on using this?

I know I am BU using this board for this question but my poor DD is getting no sleep/rest from it thlsad

SweepTheHalls Tue 31-Oct-17 18:48:43

Get a humidifier. They are utterly magical on children's coughs.

Battleax Tue 31-Oct-17 18:49:28

How about buying some snuffle babe?

Or are you stuck for tonight?

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Tue 31-Oct-17 18:52:23

Probably not useful for tonight, but see if you can get some Snuffle Babe tomorrow. It's like Vicks, but a bit milder. My mum used it on us as babies and I still have a tub somewhere blush

dementedpixie Tue 31-Oct-17 18:52:28

Actual vicks isn't suitable for under 2s. You get kids versions that you could try

EggysMom Tue 31-Oct-17 18:53:05

I don't want to say that it's fine, so I'll just respond with my own experience. I used normal Vicks on my son once he was a year old, just lightly rather than the thick slather I put on my own chest & feet! He had no issues. I also use a vapour-based baby bath (from Asda).

dementedpixie Tue 31-Oct-17 18:53:13

Piriton may help with a cough. Its ok from age 1

Namethecat Tue 31-Oct-17 18:59:59

Ok - I'm holding up my hands and admitting to giving up shaving legs etc now autumn is truly upon us. How many of us also give up now we haven't got our legs out ? Of course if I have a event to attend or party (unlikely ) I'll give it ago. Currently at the prickly leg stage much to the grumbles of husband. What else do you not bother with autumn/winter ?

Thanks. I’m not even sure if we have vicks in the house but Tesco will have it. I’ll have a look to see if I can get snuffle babe for tomorrow.
She only got over the last one at the weekend and now it’s hit her again which destresses her. Calpol seems to be helping slightly and trying not to overheat her seems to help too

confusedlittleone Tue 31-Oct-17 19:02:01

@Namethecat I'm glad your embracing the hairy legs! However I don't think that will help with deciding what age a child should have Vicks 😂

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Tue 31-Oct-17 19:06:08

Poor little thing Peppa I hope she feels better soon. Humidity might help as Sweep suggested. I have one of those steam cup things, but they're not suitable for babies either. You could try a bowl of hot water in her bedroom (somewhere safe so she cannot get burnt) or even run the shower/hot tap in the bathroom and sit there with her for a bit.

RacingRaccoons Tue 31-Oct-17 19:09:29

Snuffle babe does a vapour rub for children and there is a Calpol plug in light which is quite good!

Namethecat Tue 31-Oct-17 19:15:42

Haha yep Peppa a post fail !!

Namethecat grin my leg hair is at the stage where it’s probably as long as an eyebrow hair!

racing I have the calpol light and I’m sure it makes her worse. I find the smell over powering so it’s not surprising DD suffers with it

NotTheMrMenAgain Tue 31-Oct-17 19:19:59

I've used it on DDs feet since she was a toddler, can't remember her exact age. Hot-ish flannel on feet, good vics massage on the soles and then a pair of socks. I don't know why/how it works, but it seems to help.

I ended up using a tiny bit of vicks. Going to get some of the snugglebabe today for her.
Do you need to add socks even if they are in a sleeping bag thing?

rizlett Wed 01-Nov-17 06:54:45

Have you tried raising the end of her mattress - like with a pillow underneath it so she is sleeping slightly elevated. Often helps with coughing at night.

TheWickedWitchofWestYorkshire Wed 01-Nov-17 07:42:24

Those calpol plugin things have always helped us.
We also give piriton and a drink of warm milk before bed if their throats are tickly.

dementedpixie Wed 01-Nov-17 07:52:52

There used to be a Karvol plug in that was great but was discontinued. I just don't see how vicks on the feet would work tbh. Use the snufflebabe on her chest maybe. We use olbas oil on a hanky in the pillow case for ds.

Iruka Wed 01-Nov-17 08:23:28

My gp recommends a wet towel hung over the radiator to raise the humidity if you don’t have a humidifier

rizlett yes, her bed is raised. It helps a bit but not so much that she gets a break from it. Got the snufflebabe so I’m trying that later

Ratbagratty Wed 01-Nov-17 09:16:36

Snufflebabe on chest and feet (no to socks imo in a sleeping bag), olbas oil for kids on the sleeping bag, can be be applied easily when you go up to bed! Humidifier does work but some have a bright light in them, ours gets dressed in a black t-shirt to dim it! Paracetamol before bed. I also put the snufflebabe and olbas oil on during the day if they appear to be suffering.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now