Talk

Advanced search

I have no bloody Halloween decorations

(17 Posts)
confusedlittleone Tue 31-Oct-17 18:22:33

We have nothing up to indicate we're doing trick or treating, since we've moved my youngest dcs room is above the front door and he gets woken up when people knock.... and yet we've had 8 separate Groups come knocking!!!!! I start any first full time in 3 years tomorrow, and the boys have their first full day of nursery, we all needed a chilled out night!! Aibu in thinking that it's just rude to knock on doors when there's no decorations pumpkin ect?

Whambarsarentasfizzyastheywere Tue 31-Oct-17 18:25:29

I stuck a note up in my door saying the baby is asleep and had nobody over at all.

I didn't think many people stuck by the 'no decoration, no knocking' thing.

SquareWord Tue 31-Oct-17 18:25:57

I never have any decorations up and normally get a steady stream. I've not had any yet trick or treaters yet tonight but can hear lots of people outside.

ohtheholidays Tue 31-Oct-17 18:29:01

Just stick a note on the door OP,fingers crossed that should stop any more knocking.

We don't knock at doors with no decorations up but then some people don't put up decorations and do give out sweets so I think it can be hard for children to judge.

We've already had about 70 trick or treaters but then we go all out at Halloween so everyone knows they can come to our house trick or treating.

Good Luck for tomorrow flowers

Sirzy Tue 31-Oct-17 18:32:18

I have a note on the door, but by the lack of noise from the wobbly flag it sounds like most people locally are respecting the no decorations don’t knock rule thankfully

QuackingHell Tue 31-Oct-17 18:34:50

We put a padlock on our front gate. It's worked a treat wink I don't particularly like Halloween and we've got 2 kids under 2 and if anyone wakes them up so they can try as nick my sweets I will not be best pleased. Just before you think I'm an awful person blush

isseywithcats Tue 31-Oct-17 18:35:29

we live in a street that dosent seem to have any children in it , though i dont do decorations i have a big bag of sweets ready and havent had a single knock and havent seen any children outside at all

JennyBlueWren Tue 31-Oct-17 18:39:24

Took my son around earlier (probably too early) and as there was only one house decorated (our NDN) we just knocked there. Did wonder what the etiquette was about knocking. But then someone earlier knocked at the door on the other side of the house (with no decorations).

daisypond Tue 31-Oct-17 18:42:06

I've never heard of Halloween decorations... You mean outside? We have a pumpkin inside, but nothing outside. I would expect trick-or-treaters just the same if the lights in the house are on.

Polly99 Tue 31-Oct-17 18:43:18

It is rude. Around our way people only knock at houses with a lit pumpkin. Once we run out of sweets I bring it in and that is the end of it.

Oblomov17 Tue 31-Oct-17 18:53:21

We only knock if there are decorations outside/ a pumpkin 🎃 outside.

MiddlingMum Tue 31-Oct-17 18:53:28

We have a "Go away, leave us alone" type message on the door, printed off the local police website.

It's been very effective so far, but I'm prepared to be furious with anyone who knocks.

BobbinThreadbare123 Tue 31-Oct-17 18:55:01

I never have any decorations, I don't have any kids and I certainly don't have any sweets in. Didn't stop some asshat from testing my front door handle and opening the door!

RhiWrites Tue 31-Oct-17 19:05:27

Our area seems to be pumpkins or don't knock. I've only just realised and hungvyhe pumpkin out after a crap attempt to make a wreath out of sainsburies bags. I thought it might look all Pinteresty. It didn't.

TheSnowFairy Tue 31-Oct-17 19:27:32

We only go through those with pumpkins/lanterns/decorations outside too. I assume those that don't would rather not be bothered 🎃👻🍬

TheSnowFairy Tue 31-Oct-17 19:28:08

go to

We can't go through houses blush

fourquenelles Tue 31-Oct-17 19:41:20

Just moved here so not sure of protocol. It seemed that a lit pumpkin was the signal but I have nothing this year. I have still had 3 groups at the door so far. I don't mind as I have a tub of Heroes to dish out but it's interesting that the pumpkin sign isn't universal in these parts after all.

<if I find who is letting off really house rattling fireworks I will shove what's left of the Heroes up their bum>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now