Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Do you think I'm being selfish?

(10 Posts)
chlozeebo Tue 31-Oct-17 17:48:05

I currently work in a call centre for Vodafone for JUST above minimum wage - very tight nit group of young people - everyone knows everyone. Easy job post baby. My mum currently works min wage in an office and says she hates it and is making her depressed. She has applied for a job where I work and has got an interview there. Bare in mind my mum and I have never got on - she is very short tempered and cannot handle criticism - qualities which don't fit in well in a call centre.
I tried to advise her that I don't think she will find the job very enjoyable and will end up being more stressed than before - awful hours, constant pay mess up, horrible customers etc. Is this selfish? Every time I try to advise her of this she just lashes out - need some advice sad

MyBrilliantDisguise Tue 31-Oct-17 17:51:03

Oh I would hate that! Will they be able to test her temper in the interview? Will there be a practical element to it?

Ragwort Tue 31-Oct-17 17:57:23

I don't think you are being selfish, you are being honest about what the job involves, hopefully there will be a good interview process and she will either decide it's not for her or she won't be offered the job - or she is offered the job and finds it horrendous and resigns/is sacked fairly promptly

Or she might just rise to the challenge of a new job?

Pengggwn Tue 31-Oct-17 17:58:58

What are your reasons for not wanting her to work there? You've said what you've told her and your concerns for her, but why does it bother you so much?

MaidofHulaHoopz Tue 31-Oct-17 18:03:11

Jesus Christ. You need to drop HR an anonymous note and tell them what a nightmare she is. You will a) be doing the company you work for a big favour, as it saves them from potentially hiring someone unsuitable, and b) saves you the nightmare of working with your mum.

Harsh, yes. But sometimes harsh is necessary. wink

RosaRosaRose Tue 31-Oct-17 18:09:47

Vodafone: constant pay mess ups, awful hours, horrible customers and all for JUST above the minimum wage
See your point about your mum, but you may want to get your Company name out of the post before the Daily Mail headline working conditions at Vodafone grin

RavingRoo Tue 31-Oct-17 18:41:18

My mum’s the same as yours personality wise, and she thrived in a high pressured call centre environment, to the point where she now earns more working part time than most do full time. Let her try the job. Being an older person in a call centre environment is often a plus, as provided they’re good managers view them as a safe pair of hands.

Dauphinoise Tue 31-Oct-17 18:57:51

I was put in a similar position when my DB asked me to get him a job where I worked. This company liked to employ family members of reliable workers, such as myself. So I, my DB and other relatives knew I could get him in. But I was blunt, said "no" and explained exactly why.... I love him v.much but in the job he had at the time (working for our stepD) he was lazy, frequently late, threw sickies several times every month and often turned up stinking of weed.

I didn't want him doing that where I worked and embarrassing me. And I was straight with him about that.

If the reason you don't want your DM working in the same place is because you don't get on, then be straight and tell her.

If it's because you don't think she'll like it - well, you've already told her. If she chooses not to listen then let her just get on with it. It's not your problem to worry about

Bluntness100 Tue 31-Oct-17 19:01:20

People are often very different in thr workplace than they are at home, you’d be surprised.

Is the real issue you don’t want to work with her? Then be straight about it.

Justgivemesomepeace Tue 31-Oct-17 19:03:28

Let her try- she'll last 2 minutes if she is as you say. But don't let your boss see what you've written about voda!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now