Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Complain about manicurist

(36 Posts)
vasyvasy Tue 31-Oct-17 17:37:41

Bday present - day at v fancy spa (lucky me)

Had a manicure booked first thing. Wandered in and the therapist said 'oh lovely you're pregnant'. When I told her no, she said 'oh just had a baby then.' Ahem. Also no. She kept digging. 'Oh my stomach goes a bit like that after a big meal'

WTF

For the record am a regular size 12. CS last year has left me with a less than taut stomach but...still...

So it left me for the rest of the spa day feeling a little self conscious, which is obviously not the desired effect.

DH, who bought the spa day, says I should complain as it marred the experience, but I don't know. It's not the end of the world right?

vasyvasy Wed 01-Nov-17 11:12:51

Anyone? smile

QueuetoaskaQ Wed 01-Nov-17 11:15:47

I can't believe anybody could be so rude to a stranger unless they had some sort of pragmatic disorder.

If you were me, i would have called her out on it there and then.

I wouldn't complain the next day, no.

Sorry your day was ruined.

Tinksee Wed 01-Nov-17 11:15:50

Happened to me at the hairdresser.

Hairdresser - ooh, congratulations on your bump!

Me - I’m not pregnant.

Hairdresser - ah, a muffin top then?

I was so upset. I never went back.

Just rude.

I would complain.

WanderingTrolley1 Wed 01-Nov-17 11:19:28

It ruined your experience, so I would definitely make contact and tell them this.

KungFuEric Wed 01-Nov-17 11:20:31

Maybe a suggestion on customer service/not commenting on clients bodies would be a helpful reminder to staff in a spa.

I've quite often filled in a small questionaire when I've had beauty treatments which have tick boxes for pregnancy or medical issues, as certain treatments are unsuitable.

MrsOverTheRoad Wed 01-Nov-17 11:24:04

Bloody complain! Rude cow!

See it as doing her a favour. She needs to learn manners and someone's got to teach her!

Notthisagainnow Wed 01-Nov-17 11:25:58

I'd complain. Incredibly fucking rude.

Roomster101 Wed 01-Nov-17 11:29:02

On the rare occasion that I've been to a health spa they have asked if pregnant or have medical conditions so I can see why she might ask. She needs to find a way of doing so more tactfully though so perhaps you should comment on this.

Yaley Wed 01-Nov-17 11:29:20

I once went to a salon for a haircut and the hairdresser (make) kept peering at my roots and saying "are you sure you don't want I have your colour done? It's really bad." I said I didn't have time that day and he said "but don't you care?"

It ruined my day and made me feel so embarrassed. I was about three weeks post partum and had dashed out for an hour to myself.

Yaley Wed 01-Nov-17 11:30:04

Sorry, *make should be MALE. It was a male hairdresser.

The80sweregreat Wed 01-Nov-17 11:35:35

I went to a new yoga class years ago, lady was lovely but gave me a look and said ' i've not a had pregnant lady in the class for years' - i wasnt pregnant!!
hairdressers also make you feel bad for not using the fancy expensive products that they sell. I have learnt this so now when they start i pipe up with ' i use x product' which i know is an expensive one that they sell in salons, but not in the salon i go in. They still then go on about my dandruff though ( not rinsing enough, which is hard with really thick hair and a not so good shower !) They just always make me feel rubbish about my locks and my lack of styling.
your lady was horrible to keep going on about it though - i feel your pain!

rizlett Wed 01-Nov-17 11:41:48

I was having lunch in a cafe when the waitress asked when my baby is due.

I didn't know whether to be flattered or annoyed - I'm 55.

OrlandoMusc Wed 01-Nov-17 11:43:25

I would complain. That wasn't nice at all.

I told my DS the other day, unless you can see the head coming out, NEVER assume someone is pregnant. Lots of women have tummies. Few kids, a CS, or just a rounder figure.

Sorry it spoiled your day.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Wed 01-Nov-17 11:46:10

No it isn't the end of the world, but Your dh is 110% it did ruin your experience. That's the only reason some people go to beauty spas/salons to be pampered and made a fuss of.

LinaBo Wed 01-Nov-17 11:47:40

I had similar to rizlett, to which I replied “oh I’m not pregnant, just fat” grin - I hope they’ve never asked anyone since. (I’m a 16 though, so I am fat, I’d probably be v offended if I were a 12).

thecatsthecats Wed 01-Nov-17 11:49:09

Definitely complain.

My sister went wedding dress shopping, and was called 'top heavy' by an assistant. Now my sister has a fantastic hourglass figure, actually one that many women would love to have. I'm definitely top heavy - boobs larger than bum. Thing is a) both of us are happy with our figures, and b) shouldn't you be trying to make a woman about to buy a very expensive dress feel blooming fantastic, not undermine her confidence!?!

Whatever someone looks like, making a comment that implies they might not be happy with it is bloody rude.

LinaBo Wed 01-Nov-17 11:50:09

And I agree with babyspider, might not be the end of the world but ruined what should’ve been a lovely day out. flowers

amusedbush Wed 01-Nov-17 11:50:45

I would complain. Not necessarily to cause problems for the manicurist but clearly someone needs to remind her to have some bloody tact.

vasyvasy Wed 01-Nov-17 11:55:50

smile thanks - I think I'll just email a gentle complain wouldn't be terrible if they offered to make it up to me somehow

Did fill in the contraindications card before so she could have checked that easily enough

Not to massively drip feed but I was wearing an maternity/nursing dress (as still BF toddler) that is a bit accentuating but still. I agree- never comment unless person is crowning smile I've erred on the side of caution with heavily pregnant and earned myself a 'duh!' but better than the alternative i'd say!

Giraffesarequitetall Wed 01-Nov-17 11:56:11

I think you are perfectly within your rights to complain, she was insensitive and plain rude. She ruined your experience.

Similar happened to a friend when her DH posted a family pic on Facebook and an old female friend of his commented congratulations on them being due another baby. It was there for a couple of hours, she was mortified. To be fair she did look a bit pregnant but you should never make that comment without being 100% sure

BottleBeach Wed 01-Nov-17 12:39:00

Not to massively drip feed but I was wearing an maternity/nursing dress

grin No, not a drip feed at all! What could possibly have given her the impression to were pregnant or just had a baby? It’s a mystery! confused

sycamore54321 Wed 01-Nov-17 12:47:04

It does sound rude and upsetting but I am more wary of making complaints against less secure, close t minimum wage people. Often they don't have the protection of a union or a professional HR and may end up with some appallingly disproportionate penalty like wages withheld or even lose their job. So I'd decide based on the context as well as what actually happened. The maternity dress does confuse things - perhaps she or someone she knew had the same one and so her mind jumped to pregnancy then she got flustered as she ungraciously tried to row back and ended up being ruder

maybe this time, just let it pass?

vasyvasy Wed 01-Nov-17 12:51:45

bottle it's like a baggy shift dress with a sort of t shirt layer over the bust - not a figure hugging thing with a 'mind the bump' slogan!!

BottleBeach Wed 01-Nov-17 12:54:24

Fair enough OP- just teasing wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now