Talk

Advanced search

To greet trick or treaters in a scary costume...

(55 Posts)
Millymills Tue 31-Oct-17 13:45:15

We've recently moved in to a new area - a large cul de sac with lots of family homes, lots of children play in the area etc. We noticed yesterday most homes have Halloween related decorations outside and we thought it might be nice to join in with the fun, though we don't have any children ourselves. DP and I got a little carried away in our local supermarket and have purchased allsorts to go outside the house. In addition, DP has bought a brilliant full faced zombie mask and outfit, along with fake blood and some other props. He tried out the costume last night and admittedly he looks rather terrifying!

Chatting to some friends today who have pointed out that the outfit is very scary and could well traumatise the children coming to our door and that this wouldn't really be appropriate. Perhaps I'm being totally unreasonable here but I always thought scary outfits was all part of the fun and to be expected if you go around trick or treating?! The majority of the children I've seen around are aged 8 + I'd say but that's not to say we wouldn't get younger children knocking..... Opinions please?!

doodle01 Tue 31-Oct-17 13:46:34

Its fine they asked for it. Get him to hide in bin bag by front door and get them from behind works a treat

KalaLaka Tue 31-Oct-17 13:46:42

I think my children would be scared and they're 10 thlsmile They'd love the decorations, though! Sorry OP!

RainyDayBear Tue 31-Oct-17 13:46:59

DP had a creepy mask one year and shouted boo as he opened the door to the trick or treaters - most of the accompanying parents thought it was funny!

5foot5 Tue 31-Oct-17 13:49:05

I would say totally OK. If children are allowed to dress up in scary costumes to go to strangers doors then it seems reasonable to me that they should be braced for a few scary encounters.

SilverySurfer Tue 31-Oct-17 14:15:08

Umm isn't that the whole point of Halloween? Go for it OP.

BoBoBatty Tue 31-Oct-17 14:20:42

I can't believe people's responses - wearing a properly scary costume to terrify little children? What on earth is wrong with you? I would be absolutely furious if anyone did this to my kids. If your DH wants to dress up as something like a zombie, tell him to go to an adult Halloween event. I really despair of people's common sense.

TeenTimesTwo Tue 31-Oct-17 14:23:34

I think YABU. A costume is OK, a full on zombie with fake blood is not.
We get 3yos calling on us in cute cat outfits ...

TheGoodEnoughWife Tue 31-Oct-17 14:23:36

One of best houses we ever went to, as we went up the path and knocked at the door, a dressed up person came from the side of the house and screamed appropriately. It was fab!
Surely the possibility of getting scared is how It works?

Iris65 Tue 31-Oct-17 14:25:18

I love the Modern Family Halloween episode when Claire gets really competitive. So yes, go for it. They are out to enjoy Halloween so why not. If you were a receptionist in a hotel I would have answered differently!

Santawontbelong Tue 31-Oct-17 14:25:55

Def dress up.
Note to dps of wimpy dc - stay home.

Iris65 Tue 31-Oct-17 14:26:22

Wait! I hadn't read the full on zombie thing.....no, no, no!

jazzandh Tue 31-Oct-17 14:29:10

Go for it...but you could put a sign up saying "beware of the zombie...enter at your peril...." or something to that effect?

WhirlwindHugs Tue 31-Oct-17 14:29:18

I think it's fine. Have him hang back so you can gauge who to scare and who not to though. Making three year old cry is not so fun (but making teens/pre-teens jump is excellent)

taratill Tue 31-Oct-17 14:29:40

Santwontbelong my asd children are not wimps but they would (and have in the past) been petrified of adults who have taken halloween too far.

My daughter who is 8 and about the bravest child I know was scared out of her wits by a man up the rode who answered the door dressed as Munch's scream whist screaming I'm going to kill you all.

No need for scary costumes on adults at all. Witches etc absolutely fine.

Buglife Tue 31-Oct-17 14:36:21

You could wear something Halloween related but not that scary. Halloween costumes do separate into children and adult ones and in my experience here all the Trick or Treaters are quite young with parents and I think someone really trying to terrify them would not go down well.

buttwingsham Tue 31-Oct-17 14:43:29

Last year I took 3 of the dc out trick or treating while dh stayed home with the baby.
As I was nearly back home I called him to say right we are on a way, so he switched all the hall lights off put on a really scary mask with lots of blood on. The idea was I was going to "forget my keys" we would knock he would jump out and scare the life out of the kids.
However we cocked up the timing and a lovely couple with a one and three year old knocked on the door just before we got there.
Poor little things I ended up almost filling their buckets with sweets as an apology and dh was mortified as they were screaming and sobbing on our drive.

BucksFrizz Tue 31-Oct-17 14:44:53

Perfectly fine OP. If children are going to be scared by people in costume, they're too young for trick or treating.

MissEliza Tue 31-Oct-17 14:46:09

Hard to say without seeing the costumes but it amazes me how kids are into zombies these days so maybe you’ll be fine. I used to have a neighbour who insisted on tagging along trick or treating with us but her ds was scared of masks! She complained constantly about the scary costumes people had as we walked around. I was so glad when she moved.

taratill Tue 31-Oct-17 14:46:43

Bucksfrizz not necessarily, some children have sensory sensitivities , should they be excluded from trick or treating because an adult wants to have fun and try to frighten them?

afrikat Tue 31-Oct-17 14:46:57

If kids are going to get scared at costumes they shouldn't be out trick or treating. Go for it!

Katedotness1963 Tue 31-Oct-17 14:50:02

Definitely wear it later in the evening, but not early when it's likely to be 3/4/5 year olds.

taratill Tue 31-Oct-17 14:51:23

I'm honestly quite shocked at some of the responses. Who is this about the adults or the children?

There is a massive difference between someone dressing up as a 'friendly witch' and an adult wearing a costume deliberately designed to scare.

Saying kids who can't cope shouldn't go is ridiculous imo, the adults need to get a grip and go to an adult fancy dress party!

BucksFrizz Tue 31-Oct-17 15:02:34

taratill The whole point of Halloween is it's meant to be scary!

Lethaldrizzle Tue 31-Oct-17 15:04:10

Sounds brilliant! Go for it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now