Talk

Advanced search

To be unhappy at finding my child's psychology reports in the Village Hall? And that the Head reported me to the police for taking her documents home?

(103 Posts)
WHMum1806 Tue 31-Oct-17 13:10:32

I found my DD and dozens of other kids school Special Educational Needs records in the Village Hall store cupboard (next to the school). These documents included psychology reports, learning plans, emails between parents & teachers and all their personal name and address details. The cupboard is locked but accessed by many parents and other people in the village not connected with the school. It is 100% NOT the place such sensitive information should be stored.

When I informed the Head her first response was to move the documents, her second was to report me to the police for theft as I had taken my daughters documents home with me for safeguarding until I was sure the school could look after them properly.

I try not to 'sweat the small stuff' in life but this and her subsequent disrespectful attitude has left me pretty annoyed.

I have been through the school complaints procedure and whilst acknowledging the data breach and lack of security, they seem to think calling the police (who turned up and discussed this in earshot of my DD who had no idea her documents had been compromised and was deeply upset) was perfectly reasonable response from the Head.

All I wanted was to be sure my DD's documents would be safe and stay safe (through a thorough review of how this happened) before I gave them back. My DD has left that school to go on to secondary but they need to hold her records until she is 25.

I would welcome any thoughts and advice - particularly if any Mums are involved in data protection or safe guarding of children.

araiwa Tue 31-Oct-17 13:16:11

i would expect the police to be called when stuff is stolen

Swizzlesticks23 Tue 31-Oct-17 13:16:48

It wouldn't bother me personally. If there is something your concerned about someone seeing or something you need to hide or someone to hide stuff from I would Persue the complaint.

Rainatnight Tue 31-Oct-17 13:18:05

Sorry, I've got no expertise in this area. But I think what you did was perfectly natural or normal. You wanted your daughter's information out of an insecure environment. Calling the police sounds waaaaay over the top.

Stuffofawesome Tue 31-Oct-17 13:18:51

they have broken the law. report ico.org.uk/for-organisations/report-a-breach/

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Tue 31-Oct-17 13:19:46

So you went in to a locked cupboard and rifled through files you found in there?

sleepingdragon Tue 31-Oct-17 13:19:50

You can/ should report it to the information commissioner www.ico.org.uk - definitely not an appropriate way for the documents to be stored

Stuffofawesome Tue 31-Oct-17 13:19:54

that might not be quite the right link but browse their website

PurplePillowCase Tue 31-Oct-17 13:20:02

shock yanbu
that's horrendous.

sorry, no advice.

RaeCJ82 Tue 31-Oct-17 13:20:33

YANBU at all! That is a complete breach of data protection since the cupboard was accessible by other parents. Totally not acceptable at all and I would be extremely annoyed.
I can’t believe that, instead of acknowledging the mistake and apologising profusely, the Head decided to call the police on you! Totally deflecting I think, because they know that the storage was unacceptable!

Inig0M0nt0ya Tue 31-Oct-17 13:21:35

I would have done the same.
Leaving private information in a place that can be accessed by other people is a huge safeguarding breach, definitely report them.
Even if they are focusing on you taking your dc's reports I think ultimately they're doing a ham fisted job of trying to cover up their own ineptitude.

Arealhumanbeing Tue 31-Oct-17 13:22:47

YANBU

What IS it with some head teachers?!

MipMipMip Tue 31-Oct-17 13:23:05

That is awful. Report therm at ico.org.uk/concerns . don't usually say go straight in at report but it seems pretty clear they have no idea. Let your LEA know too.

Candlelight234 Tue 31-Oct-17 13:23:41

This is a data protection breach, and if you reported to the ICO (someone had linked above), it would quite rightly be treated very seriously. Firms & organisations get fined for DP breaches like this, especially when sensitive data is involved.

spiney Tue 31-Oct-17 13:24:04

Sounds a very inappropriate response to me and also a VERY inappropriate place to keep personal records.

You say other adults can access them ( like you I presume ) What other adults?

Veterinari Tue 31-Oct-17 13:24:31

So you went in to a locked cupboard and rifled through files you found in there?

Are you seriously insinuating she smashed the door down? Or do you think, given the info in the OP that this is a village hall cupboard which several people hold keys for and is therefore totally unsuitable for storing sensitive data?

OP i’m Not sure how you can ‘steal’ documents relating to your own daughter left in a public ally accessible space. It sounds like the school have broken the law

midnightmisssuki Tue 31-Oct-17 13:25:29

sorry - i dont understand, was the cupboard locked and you somehow opened it and went through the documents inside?

BabyOrSanta Tue 31-Oct-17 13:25:39

This does seem to be them trying to cover their backs...
If you could take your daughter's notes, who else could have taken them?

mumonashoestring Tue 31-Oct-17 13:25:46

Shocking, and a clear breach of data handling regulations - if anyone did that where I work it would be treated as gross misconduct. Definitely follow the ICO guidance on reporting and don't let them put you off.

LagunaBubbles Tue 31-Oct-17 13:25:48

Its a store cupboard in a village hall that I presume lots of people use as OP says lots of people access it, shes hardly broken in to it.

spiney Tue 31-Oct-17 13:27:32

So you rifiled through a locked *cupboard
Could you miss the point more.......

AuntLydia Tue 31-Oct-17 13:28:18

Yes, report to the ico. I'm a childminder and have to store records safely - they should be locked away and inaccessible to anyone else. Heads response is appalling and inflammatory.

BabyOrSanta Tue 31-Oct-17 13:28:23

Even though it is a locked cupboard, many people have access to it so there isn't that much point in it being locked

lunar1 Tue 31-Oct-17 13:28:38

I’d have done exactly the same. I’d also have called the parents of other children’s names I recognised.

DelilahDarcey Tue 31-Oct-17 13:29:04

Why on earth is the school storing documents in the village hall? It sounds really weird! Do they not have a filing cabinet in the school for those kinds of documents?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: