Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To not understand why food shopping daily should cost more?

(50 Posts)
xhannahx Tue 31-Oct-17 10:49:33

We have 1 DD and another on the way, so in terms of convenience this may change in the future, however many people common on how expensive doing it like that is and I just don't get it!

I buy exactly what we need, and whatever isn't used on the day will be used on a following day. Of there are deals I will still stock up occasionally.

Is this really true?

SillyMoomin Tue 31-Oct-17 10:52:11

(slow clap)

well good for you

messyjessy17 Tue 31-Oct-17 10:52:23

It depends how you do it. If you consistently buy more than you need it will cost you more.
But then for others it will cost you less, we shop every day or other day and it cost us less than when we did one big weekly shop and things got thrown out more or forgotten about, and we still had to but bread/milk/fruit etc during the week.

It doesn't matter what other people think, you just do what works best for you.

RNBrie Tue 31-Oct-17 10:52:42

I think most people end up grabbing extras they don't necessarily "need" and then don't plan so have things left over in the fridge that end up being thrown away. Also, if you plan ahead you can buy a bigger pack of something which usually works out cheaper. Whatever works best for you is fine, but I definitely save money staying out of the supermarket!!

splendidisolation Tue 31-Oct-17 10:54:45

Shopping weekly means I make do with whatever i have in the fridge rather than being like "oooh I fancy a 10-ingredient meal tonight".

QuinionsRainbow Tue 31-Oct-17 10:54:56

Well, for starters, if you have to drive to a shop, then doing just that daily will cost you seven times more in petrol than it would if you only shopped once a week.

DontOpenDeadInside Tue 31-Oct-17 10:57:02

In my case if I buy a multipack of crisps (for eg) in my weekly shop, once they're gone they're gone. If I'm shopping daily, if we run out I'll buy more.

HamSandWitches Tue 31-Oct-17 10:58:04

I used to do one huge shop and get it delivered before I could drive but I also wasted a lot. I did like the fact I could meal plan though and look at the offers. I started doing the click and collect but twice I have got home and have been missing items, once from tesco so I tried asda who then left a bag of fresh stuff off the order. Now I'm going every couple of days. It's still costing less than the big shop but I tend to just grab stuff to make a meal and packed lunches

SonyaY Tue 31-Oct-17 10:58:51

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Tue 31-Oct-17 11:01:26

It's more expensive because you pick up bits you don't really need and it adds up.

On the other hand, if you do a big shop weekly things might go off before you use them up and that's waste.

So it's difficult to say.

Ktown Tue 31-Oct-17 11:07:12

I do this too.
I just buy what I need on the day Cos I am so disorganised I would have rotting veg and meat everywhere.
For me it saves money. I think supermarkets love to encourage waste.

Trills Tue 31-Oct-17 11:11:49

Did you post this twice?

NapQueen Tue 31-Oct-17 11:12:53

We buy every couple of days. As far as I can tell it doesnt cost us more. We had chilli yesterday so I bought mince, a pepper, a tin of kidney beans and some tinned toms. It would have cost the same if Id done a weekly shop. I already had chilli powder, garlic, onions and rice from whenever the first time i needed them.

People who shop daily arent buying a tub of chilli powder or a bag of rice every time they shop for that evenings meal.

NapQueen Tue 31-Oct-17 11:14:14

Its good for whoopsies too. I drive past a big supermarket after work as it is on my way home. Often pick up a Charlie Bingham for two for £2. Or a joint of meat and a bag of veg down to £3 for the lot.

HoHoHoHo Tue 31-Oct-17 11:15:09

I think it depends on your lifestyle. I don’t have children (DP does) and neither do a lot of my friends so I am often going out for dinner / drinks on the spur of the moment. I also have a couple of supermarkets within easy walking distance so for me it makes more sense to pick things that go off as and when I need them. If you are in most nights, plan your social life in advance and have a 15 mile round trip to the shop then a weekly shop makes more sense.

ColinCreevy Tue 31-Oct-17 11:20:19

I don't shop daily but I get a couple of online orders a week. Our fruit and veg always needs topping up and I don't like to get a weeks worth as it often goes a bit manky by the end of the week. I think I'd probably spend more if I was physically wandering around the shops because I like browsing all the extra bits and bobs like clothes and books.

steppingout Tue 31-Oct-17 11:22:07

I find we spend less shopping weekly, partly because we eat more of a balance between cheaper and more expensive meals when we're looking at a whole week, partly because I find we waste less when we're planning for longer periods of time and partly because all of the supermarkets we pass on the way home are more expensive brands/small and mainly stock more expensive ranges of stuff. I also prefer meal planning once a week to a daily 'but what shall we have for dinner'!

Butterymuffin Tue 31-Oct-17 11:24:00

I buy more non necessary stuff if I go more often. Other people may be more disciplined but I'm not. Plus if you have a specific meal in mind, you have to hope the shop has everything you need in stock or you'll have to change plans last minute. If you get a big shop in you've got time opportunity to rethink it ahead of time.

harlandgoddard Tue 31-Oct-17 11:24:58

I think most people buy extras they don’t need. I do one shop a week online because I can’t seem to step foot in a supermarket without buying nothing I needed and loads of junk.

Roomster101 Tue 31-Oct-17 11:25:38

For most people it would cost more to travel to a supermarket every day unless they live very near one and can walk. Buying in bulk can be cheaper unless this means more waste. Also, I consider my time to be money..

drspouse Tue 31-Oct-17 11:27:01

Napqueen but often things are cheaper in bulk e.g. tinned tomatoes in fours.
We get our milk from the milkman and our bread weekly with a delivery, they never go off.
Veg we mainly get every fortnight in a veg box and that can go off sometimes.

drspouse Tue 31-Oct-17 11:28:33

Colin with a minimum delivery amount that must work out quite expensive. We do tend to eat apples last or top up just fruit, only get a delivery once a week though.

NapQueen Tue 31-Oct-17 11:29:16

drspouse yep and if I go to get the tinned toms and the pack of four works out cheaper I buy the 4pack and two get put in the cupboard for whenever I next need them.

SandyDenny Tue 31-Oct-17 11:31:43

It's obvious that larger packs work out cheaper per serving so for example buying 1 pint of milk every day costs way more than buying a 6 pint carton for the week.

Unless you can walk to a shop you'd spend 7 times as much on petrol/bus fares

You can buy large packs of meat to make maybe 3 meals for the week rather than 3 individual more expensive packs.

Cost aside I'd rather get it all done once that feeling I was tied to going to the shop every day, I've got things I'd much rather being doing and it don't sound like it lends itself to being spontaneous or having children who have after school activities or doing things I want to do when I have spare time

Haffiana Tue 31-Oct-17 11:34:27

(slow clap)

well good for you

Eh?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now