Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to report this to the school? (Car park related)

(11 Posts)
D886 Tue 31-Oct-17 10:11:52

I'm posting here because I'm after some honest answers. I haven't reported anything yet and want to know if I'd appear a busybody if I did.

My dc's school has a tiny car park attached to it. The school asks that only parents on nursery children park there in the mornings. Lots of people ignored this so since September, they've been a little tougher and have given nursery parents badges to display in their cars in the mornings. I don't think this enforces anything, although the majority of people are complying.

Anyway, there are two families who I notice parking there every morning even though none of their kids are in nursery. One of the ladies is a speedy driver to say the least and sped onto the car park this morning. She made me jump out of my skin as I was holding my 1yo, trying to cross the car park.

So, normally, I would try and mind my own business about the car parking, but as one of the parents who shouldn't even be driving was driving at speed onto the car park, should I say something to the school? Should school be enforcing the nursery parking only rule? I felt concerned because what if a child had darted off the foot path as the lady sped on this morning?

SloeSloeQuickQuickGin Tue 31-Oct-17 10:20:41

Is it a public or private car park?

D886 Tue 31-Oct-17 10:22:27

To my knowledge, it is not owned by the school. It is instead owned by a local charity, who allow the school to use it.

D886 Tue 31-Oct-17 10:22:49

So I guess it's a private car park?

Figgygal Tue 31-Oct-17 10:25:04

Parking round our school is so bad now the police are involved and fines are being issued.

I would give the school her details no question

RavenWings Tue 31-Oct-17 10:27:15

Yeah, let them know. What an ignorant shite to go speeding about where there's likely to be small kids.

That school need a clamper or a bolshy PTA member on hand for a few days, that'd sort it grin

TSSDNCOP Tue 31-Oct-17 10:27:48

Yes, just photo her plate and send it to the HT. it wouldn't be the misuse as much as the speed that would concern me. Nursery kids are slower and less road aware, so it's extra incumbent on adults to be driving super-safely.

D886 Tue 31-Oct-17 10:31:20

Thank-you for your replies, I will send an email to the school and suggest perhaps a member of staff or willing PTA member should stand guard in the mornings.

Mummyoflittledragon Tue 31-Oct-17 10:46:30

When things have got bad at dds School in the past, we have sometimes had a PCSO surveiling the traffic. Enough complaints to the School may trigger this result. As is, a PTA member is a good option.

GwenStaceyRocks Tue 31-Oct-17 10:48:09

I think you need to be clear that you're mainly complaining about the speed. Our school has a similar rule - car park for nursery children- but there are exceptions. I guess if you didn't know about the exceptions, it would look as though certain parents were breaking the rules. Your school may be similar.

2014newme Tue 31-Oct-17 10:48:12

We have pcso too after a parent blocked in a car on its on driveway e making the teen if the house kate fir her a level and denied entry to it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now