Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To not know what this means?

(56 Posts)
flyingpigsinclover Mon 30-Oct-17 22:40:09

I just got an invite to an event which welcomes 'genderqueer' women.

What on earth does it mean ? It's a new one on me.

SadTrombone Mon 30-Oct-17 22:41:28

Google it.

ButchyRestingFace Mon 30-Oct-17 22:42:26

Wiki it.

MsJamesDeanBradfield Mon 30-Oct-17 23:09:03

Erm just google it. confused

Poshindevon Mon 30-Oct-17 23:14:33

Stop with the Google/ Wiki it not helpful
Genderqueer denotes or relates to a person who does not subscribe to conventional gender distinctions but identifies with neither, both, or a combination of male and female genders

SadTrombone Mon 30-Oct-17 23:35:42

@PoshInDevon in my experience, where someone asks what something (particularly something potentially sensitive / political / controversial in nature) means on a message board, and the subject easily Google-able (i.e. one word) it often ends up as a conversation about how 'Political Correctness has gone mad', 'there was none of this in my day', 'there's no such thing as X' etc.
Hence my comment and potentially part of the reason for others.
Certainly not suggesting any malice on the part of the OP, by the way

flyingpigsinclover Mon 30-Oct-17 23:41:59

As the event is women only, I wanted to know who they were saying was welcome.

Mantegnaria Tue 31-Oct-17 00:06:04

I have no idea what "genderqueer" is in this context. I did google it, and ended up even more confused.

OP, I suppose the easy way to tackle it is to consider whether YOU are "genderqueer" yourself.

If you are, you will probably be happy going to the event. If you aren't, then maybe you will find yourself less at home.

Since your point is that you don't know what "genderqueer" means, I would guess that you aren't "genderqueer". So probably don't go.

That kind of provides a practical answer to your question and avoids having to spend time figuring out what "genderqueer" is.

oldlaundbooth Tue 31-Oct-17 00:12:40

Undecided people?

dinosaursandtea Tue 31-Oct-17 00:17:51

Just because an event welcomesgenderqueer women doesn’t mean it’s only for them.

OP, it means people who identify as broadly female or feminine but don’t feel like they’re 100% women. Obviously everyone’s relationship to their gender is different, so what one person defines as genderqueer might just feel to you how you ‘do’ womanhood, or it could look very different. Thanks for asking - it can be confusing!

dinosaursandtea Tue 31-Oct-17 00:18:42

It might also be a way of stating that the event is open to trans women.

WillowWeeping Tue 31-Oct-17 00:22:15

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Mumof56 Tue 31-Oct-17 00:23:09

It's someone who decides what gender they are when they wake up in the morning.

I feel like I am a woman today / I feel like a man today

dinosaursandtea Tue 31-Oct-17 00:24:17

Well, no - women who were (for want of a better word) born women can still identify as genderqueer. This just means that the event is open to them as well.

SadTrombone Tue 31-Oct-17 00:25:11

@Mumof56 - what you're (trying to) describe is Gender Fluid. Not genderqueer

dinosaursandtea Tue 31-Oct-17 00:25:24

Mumof56 or that they feel like neither!

WillowWeeping Tue 31-Oct-17 00:30:45

Dinosaurs I think the description you've given is the "correct one", i.e. a gender queer woman would be a woman who does not present in a stereotypicaly female fashion.

However 99% of the time genderqueer woman is now used to denote a man who relieves himself to be a lesbian woman. Tiresome

Mumof56 Tue 31-Oct-17 00:36:15

A man who identifies as a lesbian woman gringrinhmm

Tippexy Tue 31-Oct-17 00:42:39

A man who identifies as a lesbian woman 😂

Mantegnaria Tue 31-Oct-17 00:44:27

Given the posts since my last one, it's pretty obvious that NOBODY has a clue what "genderqueer" means.

So OP, that means you've been invited to a party for people who like the vibe of the word "genderqueer" but aren't too clear what it means.

So if you like ambiguity, probably go. If you like things clear, probably don't.

Since you asked the original question, you seem to like things clear and defined. That's probably a reason not to go.

Who knows ?

Tapandgo Tue 31-Oct-17 00:47:08

It will be an event full of seriously confused people.........hope alcohol improves their situation 🙄

Beeziekn33ze Tue 31-Oct-17 00:48:28

If you go you can tell us about it and some of us will be clearer what genderqueer means.

Butterymuffin Tue 31-Oct-17 00:53:52

a woman who does not present in a stereotypicaly female fashion.

I think this is what they mean too, but I get very irritated by the implication that 'other' women must therefore be mindless conformists to feminine stereotypes. I'm not and I don't imagine many women are, though I still identify as a woman since I was born one.

FloraFox Tue 31-Oct-17 00:57:38

It's women with short hair or blue fringes and men with eyeliner (beard optional).

carb0nated Tue 31-Oct-17 00:58:30

Fancy dress party?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now