Talk

Advanced search

To go to church toddler group in devil horns tomorrow?

(137 Posts)
MrsMotherHen Mon 30-Oct-17 22:10:22

Its our toddler and baby group tomorrow and my DS2 doesnt and didnt want a outfit but does like a handband the glow in the dark types. So i just picked him up some devil horns.

Our play group is at a church hall. The priests wife helps to run it and he then comes and does song time with the guitair.

AIBU for him to wear the devil horns tomorrow? he is so looking forward to it.

Hauntedlobster Mon 30-Oct-17 22:11:26

I’ll bite.

YABU - it’s disrespectful, dress him as a pumpkin or something.

MrsMotherHen Mon 30-Oct-17 22:13:40

I honestly didnt even think I just picked up the closest headband type thing and went to the till. Then got home and thought oh shit he cant wear them surely.

mineofuselessinformation Mon 30-Oct-17 22:15:23

Absolutely not....
You're joking, surely?

userlotsanumbers Mon 30-Oct-17 22:16:24

YABU

Disrespectful, IMO. Persuade him to wear something different.

Namechangetempissue Mon 30-Oct-17 22:16:27

It's not the best idea but our vicar would laugh!!

StickThatInYourPipe Mon 30-Oct-17 22:17:40

If you do it, please film and share

MrsMotherHen Mon 30-Oct-17 22:17:48

Unfortunately not I just bought them for the day not specifically for our toddler group.

Then remembered we have playgroup I did think it would be a no go.

He has a skull and crossbones top somewhere think i will put him in that instead and keep the horns for at home.

Butterymuffin Mon 30-Oct-17 22:18:08

Tell them he can put them on later. It does seem not right for church.

Hauntedlobster Mon 30-Oct-17 22:18:35

Cover the horns and make them into cat ears or something

stopfuckingshoutingatme Mon 30-Oct-17 22:18:48

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Hauntedlobster Mon 30-Oct-17 22:19:46

Also, are they def having a Halloween party? It’s common not to celebrate Halloween depending on the denomination.

thenightsky Mon 30-Oct-17 22:20:57

Just do it. It's just a costume. Hardly Dennis Wheatley conjouring up the Devil. Or summat.

ladymariner Mon 30-Oct-17 22:21:17

Ha, you need to be a bit more succinct, stop, start saying what you mean!! thlgrinthlgrinthlgrin

MyMorningHasBroken Mon 30-Oct-17 22:23:57

Yes, sorry, you go to a presumably free church toddler group who spend their time and resources trying to help the community and you want to dress him up in something that is contrary to what they believe in.
Might sound trivial to some but for Christians it is not and might upset them.
Respect is more important to teach your kids imo than a wearing a pair of horns to make him feel happy for an hour.

GrabbyMcGrabby Mon 30-Oct-17 22:27:14

gin

LRDtheFeministDragon Mon 30-Oct-17 22:30:43

I don't really see the issue?

Halloween isn't a Christian festival. If he's dressed in a costume, it's plan you're celebrating that festival. Lots of people interpret Halloween as having to do with parodying evil influences, so we dress up as monsters or demons or scary things.

The devil is just one example of that sort of thing.

Most Christians I know would think that the image of a devil with horns is just as much a 'scary story' as the image of a monster with a tail, and they would think both were Halloween costumes.

If you were terribly pious and eschewed Halloween altogether, it would be different, but if you're going to go with it, it seems to me there's very little point trying to tone it down.

squoosh Mon 30-Oct-17 22:33:34

Oh what a load of fuss. It's absolutely fine. I know plenty of practicing Christians who are fully into Halloween.

ZippyCameBack Mon 30-Oct-17 22:33:43

Nobody at my church would care. Unless you are sacrificing virgins and bottling the blood for sale, it's unlikely that anyone will be genuinely shocked.
I think I'd slip them into my bag and only take them out if it looked like everyone else was dressing up. If nobody else is then leave them where they are.

MistressPage Mon 30-Oct-17 22:34:16

Course! It's fine, no one will give a monkeys.

Dahlietta Mon 30-Oct-17 22:34:36

I agree with pp, if it's the kind of church that is having a Halloween party, then there's not really any issue. I'm sure they wouldn't take offence. If they're not having a Halloween party, I don't know why you would turn up in any kind of Halloween costume, devil's horns or not.

AccrualIntentions Mon 30-Oct-17 22:34:52

People seriously wouldn't give a toss or even notice at my church, especially since it's not like you're wearing them to Mass.

donquixotedelamancha Mon 30-Oct-17 22:38:47

"Might sound trivial to some but for Christians it is not and might upset them."

I think most Christians wouldn't care about it. I'm amazed at the responses. I'd cheerfully do it to my church and not an eyebrow would be raised.

Actually, just seen this "The priests wife" It's either Catholic or high C of E- they won't give a toss.

bonbonours Mon 30-Oct-17 22:38:56

As far as I was aware, toddler groups run in church halls are not church.

I wouldn't let a child wear a Halloween costume to church (well okay I wouldn't take a child to church but anyway) but a toddler group is in a hall, not in a church. None of the ones I used to go to were free, they cost a couple of quid to cover the biscuits etc. The people who run it are volunteers just because they are nice people. I don't see it as having anything to do with church or religion as such unless it is actually one of these "messy church" type things which is religion dressed up as fun. Just because the vicars wife runs it doesn't mean it is a religious thing. Religious people do things other than religion.

Having said all that, unless there is a specific event with dressing up as part of it I generally wouldn't dress them up because no-one else would be.

GrockleBocs Mon 30-Oct-17 22:39:00

Our local church hall hosts a fancy dress party on Halloween for non 'spooky' or scary costumes. It does happen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now