Talk

Advanced search

To be grumpy about this?

(26 Posts)
OhLifelifelife Mon 30-Oct-17 20:46:14

I am probably going to be on holiday to a faraway destination for a week next year. Not booked yet but talked about it today with friends and it seems a done deal.

I messaged my family/sisters about it and one expressed surprise and then ignored it, and the other completely ignored the news.

I’m going to Russia. Have been before to study but really excited to go back again. BIt upset at how neither can share my news/excitement when I am effusive re theirs

mailfuckoff Mon 30-Oct-17 20:47:37

I'm excited and jealous :-)

Mumof56 Mon 30-Oct-17 20:48:42

What reaction/celebration did you expect from them?

Is it usual to get excited by your siblings holidays?

rugbychick1 Mon 30-Oct-17 20:48:46

I went in 1989 (17) and love it. Want to go back. Can I come too?

OhLifelifelife Mon 30-Oct-17 20:49:46

Thanks all! Yes I guess some excitement?! We have a group chat and all in our 20s, I would be excited if friends or family told me about their future adventures - or at the very least happy for them.

OhLifelifelife Mon 30-Oct-17 20:50:09

Aibu...?

WorraLiberty Mon 30-Oct-17 20:51:36

But you're only probably going.

Perhaps once it's actually booked up, they'll feel more excited for you?

KarateKitten Mon 30-Oct-17 20:51:44

I'd personally be a bit surprised to be expected to react to news like that as you seem to be expecting, especially as it's not booked and only for a week next year. If it was 3 months it would be 'news'. I'm not sure what you're expecting?

KarateKitten Mon 30-Oct-17 20:53:58

Disclaimer is that me, my family and all my friends travel a lot so it wouldn't really be news. I was actually in Russia a few weeks ago. Hope you have a great time.

OhLifelifelife Mon 30-Oct-17 20:55:05

Fair enough. Was just a bit shocked as I wrote “I’m going to Moscow!!!!” and one ignored it, the other acted interested but was then rude and snippy to me on the phone later/refused to talk about it when I wanted to share my news.

Puppymouse Mon 30-Oct-17 20:58:59

My sister travels a lot. Many of the places she goes (including Russia) I nod and smile at. Not my bag at all. I usually just want to make sure she’s safe and enjoying it herself. Wouldn’t fake enthusiasm I don’t think as she knows it isn’t something I can relate to easily.

KarateKitten Mon 30-Oct-17 20:59:01

I'd have said genuinely 'fab! You lucky thing. When and how long ' but probably not much more than that. Can't think of anything else to say really.

OhLifelifelife Mon 30-Oct-17 21:04:41

That was all I was hoping for Karate - and that’s how I would react to their news

HelloPossums Mon 30-Oct-17 21:26:28

How can you be going but then also only probably going? You say in your OP that you're going, but then you say you're also probably going. Which is it?

OhLifelifelife Mon 30-Oct-17 21:29:21

Hahaha HelloPossums - I am going! Either way my family think I’m going.

HelloPossums Mon 30-Oct-17 21:30:55

When you say either way, what do you mean? Do your family normally not care about your news?

stopbeingadramallama Mon 30-Oct-17 21:31:18

If someone else told me they were going on holiday, I probably wouldn’t care.

Oysterbabe Mon 30-Oct-17 21:38:02

I think you're overestimating how exciting the news that someone is probably going on holiday next year is.

DorisDangleberry Mon 30-Oct-17 21:41:50

Other people's holidays are very tedious

OhLifelifelife Mon 30-Oct-17 21:42:57

Lol fair enough. I am very excited!! Staying with a friend there and going for a week. Na zdorove!! wine

Appuskidu Mon 30-Oct-17 21:44:36

I really couldn't bring myself to be that excited over someone else's potential holiday that they haven't even booked yet.

Do you have a history of saying you're going to do stuff but then not doing it?

OhLifelifelife Mon 30-Oct-17 21:55:46

Nope

Inkandbone Mon 30-Oct-17 21:57:32

I guess they don't know how lucky you are

I'm singing.

OhLifelifelife Mon 30-Oct-17 22:02:17

What does that mean Ink?

RemainOptimistic Mon 30-Oct-17 22:15:37

I'd dial it back a bit with your effusiveness about your sisters' plans then. Sadly you might then realise the effort and enthusiasm has been one sided for a very long time.

To be honest this is the sort of dynamic in my family. I'm always really excited for my brother. Whereas no one could give a shiny shit about anything interesting in my life. Not him, my parents or anyone else.

I think a large part of it with my bro is jealousy. Not because my life is anything special but just because my brother is a bit of a miserable bastard who feels like he hasn't achieved what he wants to in life. Could that be the case with your sisters?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now