Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To feel grumpy about my DD's unexpected inset day? (Lighthearted)

(16 Posts)
ChuckysLoveChild Mon 30-Oct-17 19:34:46

Subtle Mum of 3 eldest 15 and autistic, youngest 9. Had 1 day without them this half term and I was working on that day so no downtime whatsoever. Just started back at college and thought they were all back today which meant a day to do college work and not be on call for food/drink/arguments etc.

Or so I thought. Got to school with youngest and it was bloody closed. I even checked the website last week and didn’t see the notice about an inset day. Have been grumpy all day and feeling very hard done by and sorry for myself.

Please, tell me your stories of unexpected parenting fails to cheer me up!!!!

TwentyFive Mon 30-Oct-17 19:57:00

Oh yes!!!

We were all set for our camping holiday with friends to make the most of the last week of the summer holiday. We'd had breakfast and I was loading the kids into the car so we could get moving as soon as DH got back from the shop. He came home with the news that he'd bumped into a colleague who said the school did all their INSET in the last week of the summer holidays and they were back at work the next day. Turned out he was right as well.

Oh how we laughed [hmmm]

ChuckysLoveChild Mon 30-Oct-17 21:54:54

@TwentyFive oh god - nightmare! I’m so up to my eyes with it all I’m honestly amazed I am coordinated with anything. I feel hopeless. But they’re all still alive so all good!!! 🤣

Theresamayscough Mon 30-Oct-17 23:31:30

Opposite really but my happy happy day as a TA was turning up to a normal school day to hear the water had been turned off so we had to close. grin

We got so much done without the children underfoot.

Theresamayscough Mon 30-Oct-17 23:32:16

And of course yanbu op wink

ChuckysLoveChild Mon 30-Oct-17 23:33:30

Haha yes I completely get you @Theresamayscough

EllenJanethickerknickers Mon 30-Oct-17 23:36:53

And what was better, my school was closed and my DS3's was open and so was DS2's college, Theresa. (Same water leak!)

Our deputy head once turned up for school a day late after the summer holidays. He missed the inset day, which he was supposed to be taking!

Effic Mon 30-Oct-17 23:39:53

theresamay
Guess we are in the same town then 😄

Effic Mon 30-Oct-17 23:41:46

And Ellen
Opposite for me - Inset day (& water) for us so all in but DS son closed. He was thrilled!

Moonflower12 Mon 30-Oct-17 23:44:44

Are you all in Cheltenham?

Theresamayscough Mon 30-Oct-17 23:45:21

grin

Theresamayscough Mon 30-Oct-17 23:46:17

No but not that far has Cheltenham for water issues then? grin

EllenJanethickerknickers Mon 30-Oct-17 23:46:56

wink

Moonflower12 Tue 31-Oct-17 07:00:16

Yes, a water mains has burst. 7000 homes without water. 17 schools closed.

BeyondThePage Tue 31-Oct-17 07:05:41

Yep I'm there too - such jolly fun that was - dog had puked all over the carpet... no water... NONE - not even a trickle! (how very mumsnetty I felt shampooing the carpet with Evian!)

DD at school 200feet away from the pipe! Her school was open (leak was the pipe the other side of a pump)... she was not impressed grin

LoniceraJaponica Tue 31-Oct-17 07:06:05

DD's school always emails reminders about inset days. I don't see why your child's school couldn't have done the same.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now