Talk

Advanced search

Lost my purse and cards on a bus and there's no way to report it

(48 Posts)
Stagecoachbusesareshit Mon 30-Oct-17 19:14:56

AIBU to think this is insane?

Got off bus an hour ago. Instantly realised as it drive off I didn't have my purse. Purse has oyster card, bank cards, other cards, £40 cash.

Bus stop only has tfl number on. Their lost property is closed. Call the bus co Stagecoach and they are also closed. Police don't take reports of lost property.

Basically I have to wait until 9am tomorrow to do anything! How can this be right??

grannysmiff Mon 30-Oct-17 19:16:03

Its annoying, but its life!

SaucyJack Mon 30-Oct-17 19:16:32

Is it a circular route? Can you get back on it when it comes past the other way, or can someone give you a lift round the route until you catch it back up?

Cheeseontoastie Mon 30-Oct-17 19:18:24

This happened to me a few weeks ago. Left my shopping on the bus Just completely forgot it as I had a lot on my mind. It was the only food I had till the next day and I had no money in my account as I spend the last on my shopping. It was Sunday so the lines were closed so couldn't even call. When I did call the next day it hadn't been handed in anyway.

Stagecoachbusesareshit Mon 30-Oct-17 19:22:28

It's not a circular route and by now the bus will be back at garage which is closed.

Stagecoachbusesareshit Mon 30-Oct-17 19:24:04

If I could have reported it there and then it would probably have been ok.

But I can't report it until 15 hours after it happened. Yet buses run 24 hours a day.

Stagecoachbusesareshit Mon 30-Oct-17 19:25:22

I have money in my account luckily but no way to travel as in London you can only use contactless or oyster on the bus and both were in my bloody purse sad

cherrycola2004 Mon 30-Oct-17 19:25:46

Very annoying. Call and cancel your cards now though

Cheeseontoastie Mon 30-Oct-17 19:28:40

That's how I felt. I think I would have got much shopping if I could have called at the time. Not the next day. Can you go to the bank and withdraw money and buy a new oyster? Some cash machines give emergency cash if you've lost your card.

Westfacing Mon 30-Oct-17 19:29:09

I was on a bus yesterday and a woman got on and said to the driver that she'd got of the same number bus a few minutes before and realised that she must have left her phone/purse on the bus. The very helpful woman driver radioed to her controller, and then advised the woman to cross to the other side of the road to wait for the driver to return.

Obviously by now your driver will have long passed but might be worth approaching a driver of the same no bus to see if he/she can report it.

Millipedewithherfeetup Mon 30-Oct-17 19:32:50

Are you sure the depot has closed ? I would get on the next bus and explain it to the driver... see if they can get you back to the terminus ?

Westfacing Mon 30-Oct-17 19:39:55

Which bus route finishes at 19.30?

Just because a depot is closed doesn't mean the buses on that route aren't still running.

thelastredwinegum Mon 30-Oct-17 19:45:26

West
Some round my way finish at 16:15 grin

Stagecoachbusesareshit Mon 30-Oct-17 19:46:21

I've cancelled bank cards, bank said I will have to go in to a branch if I need any money before my replacement cards get here in 3-5 working days.

Unfortunately I'm about 30 mins walk from the bus route so I could go back but it's probably too late now to do anything.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Mon 30-Oct-17 19:46:54

Firstly I hope you've put a stop on your cards, especially if a they're contactless.
That's all you can do for now.
FX that you get your money back.

Stagecoachbusesareshit Mon 30-Oct-17 19:47:32

If id thought of it at the time I could have hung around at the stop for the next one (20 mins later). I thought I'd be able to sort it by phone so started walking.

Westfacing Mon 30-Oct-17 19:47:39

I assumed the OP is in London!

Crunchymum Mon 30-Oct-17 19:49:00

If you Google tfl lost property you should find a link to make an enquiry.

Not ideal but something you can do right now?

Sorry still dont know how to copy and paste on my stupid phone shock

AntiHop Mon 30-Oct-17 19:49:24

Call tfl main number and they'll give you the bus company details and tell you where the bus company lost property is based. Usually in a bus garage.

Crunchymum Mon 30-Oct-17 19:51:12

YY to getting on the next bus, he could have radio'd through to the bus ahead.

Stagecoachbusesareshit Mon 30-Oct-17 19:54:06

I called tfl. They confirmed they can't do anything today and that Stagecoach are also closed. It's Bromley bus garage and apparently this is also closed after 6 (this is what I'm told). It's also about 8 miles away, and I don't really want to go on the off chance.

Ellisandra Mon 30-Oct-17 20:00:35

That is such a pain in the arse, fingers crossed for you that you get it back when you call tomorrow.

I do think YABU to expect a 24 hour lost property line though. I'd have been massively surprised if that existed. And if there was, then people would want to then collect 24 hours a day - I really don't think the bus company should have to employ someone to do that in each depot.

Did you actually contact the police to be told they don't take lost property reports?!!

I think your expectations are unrealistically high.

But I really do hope you get it back tomorrow!

caringdenise009 Mon 30-Oct-17 20:01:14

You can report your oyster missing online if it's registered to you and get what's on it transferred to a new card. Tfl lost property have online reporting too.

bestegg Mon 30-Oct-17 20:10:18

Have you tried phoning the depot the bus is from? My husband's a bus driver and thr depot is 24 hour (not London though). Might be worth seeing if you can get through to the depot directly as the driver may hand it in there at the end of their shift.

Stagecoachbusesareshit Mon 30-Oct-17 20:59:57

All numbers for the bus garage are recorded messages saying it's closed. I called them and tfl also checked.

If however anyone knows differently and has a number for Bromley bus garage please let me know!

Tfl and my bank both advised me to contact the police as I can't contact the bus company.

I don't expect there to be a 24hr lost property office just that something should be open past 5pm!

Tfl said they can't transfer oystercard balance other than at an underground stn. My nearest one is over an hour away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now