Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To not want to put off training for yet another year.

(18 Posts)
JosephineBucket Mon 30-Oct-17 17:04:38

I graduated from university 20 years ago and was going to do a PGCE but had to put it off as I was unable to continue to live at home. I've always meant to go back to do it but there's always been something that's stopped me and in the meantime I've had 3 children.

Hitting 40, having a late baby and losing my stepmum have all made me realise that I've got to get my bum in gear and get serious about seeing this through. I've found all the information I need, contacted schools and colleges and looked into childcare. I would train in a shortage subject so qualify for a 15k bursary and although DH isn't on the greatest salary he is extremely supportive of me no longer being a SAHM.

The only thing that would stop me would be childcare. Nursery would be £1000 a month and need to be paid in advance. The bursary would reduce tax credits and the top up housing benefit we receive and we will struggle financially. DD will be 3 by September 2019 when we'd get 15 free hours per week and pay a lower daily rate so it would make much more sense to wait til then but I fear if I put it off yet again I will never do it. I just don't know what to do.

LindyHemming Mon 30-Oct-17 17:16:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

blueberrypi27 Mon 30-Oct-17 17:22:49

I wouldn't attempt the PGCE with young children although I know some people do manage.

Allthewaves Mon 30-Oct-17 17:23:08

Have u checked entitled to so you know how much tax credits u will get for childcare

JosephineBucket Mon 30-Oct-17 17:31:31

I'm having difficulty finding a childminder that will do termtime only and it's difficult to see if paying a retainer during holidays will actually work out better. I feel a bit thick as I've never paid for childcare (I have worked but DH and I have always done it between us.)

Thanks for saying you were glad you didn't put it off as I need as much encouragement as I can get to not bail. Again.

Allthewaves Mon 30-Oct-17 17:33:05

Is there any subject options with a higher bursary that would make it more viable

LindyHemming Mon 30-Oct-17 17:33:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HaHaHmm Mon 30-Oct-17 17:33:38

Would you not qualify for 30 hours in 2019, assuming that you would be in your NQT year?

niceandspicey Mon 30-Oct-17 17:36:15

Two people I know with partners who were students (one pgce & one a BEng) got some kind of nursery fee support. Don’t know details- worth looking into?

Caulk Mon 30-Oct-17 17:38:10

I did a pgce. I think you will need nursery for a bit of back up during the holidays so you can catch up with marking, planning and essays.

MaderiaCycle Mon 30-Oct-17 17:42:25

Check re: impact on tax credits and the like as the bursary isn’t taxable income so for a lot of things they don’t count it. If there’s only you and DH as adults in a home you may get council tax discount and the PGCE bursary May have a childcare element to it (my social work one pays 85% of childcare costs up to £160 a week). Worth speaking to whatever uni you are planning on attending if you haven’t already about what additional support they can offer.

JosephineBucket Mon 30-Oct-17 18:02:44

Checked entitled to (thank you for the suggestion Allthewaves) and although there's no specific section to input the bursary under it does look like it won't affect housing benefit and tax credits as badly as I thought it would, probably because the childcare amount would be so high. Unfortunately the subjects with a higher bursary rate are ones I don't have a first degree in.

Euphemia I know! The joys of living in the South East.

blueberrypi27 Would it make a difference that I "only" have one toddler and the other 2DC are secondary school age? What age children would you attempt a PGCE? I did intend to go back to college when DD1 started school and that never happened so reluctant to wait til DD2 starts school.

Blondephantom Mon 30-Oct-17 18:12:36

Could you apply for a salaried route such as teach first or schools direct? Utilise the university’s hardship fund? Tax credits will allow an amount towards childcare unless it is covered by the grants/loans you are entitled to.

JosephineBucket Mon 30-Oct-17 18:23:01

I'm looking at SCITT which I feel will suit me better than traditional PGCE but it's still funded by bursary. I would have to travel significantly for any Teach First so it's not really an option. I'm not bothered about student loan for tuition fees - I see it as an investment.

wannabestressfree Mon 30-Oct-17 18:35:16

I did ‘on the job’ training with three children In the south east and although it is hard graft I love being a teacher. Don’t put it off and I agree with the other poster who said having childcare during the holidays will be useful until your up and running smile

Scroobius Mon 30-Oct-17 18:40:44

I did my PGCE 4 years ago with a 6 month old. Couldn’t really comment on how benefits are effected but I’m fairly sure student loans/bursaries don’t count as they’re none taxable. Also my nursery fees were pretty much covered by a childcare bursary which was paid on top of the other loans and bursaries, hopefully they still do that!

JosephineBucket Mon 30-Oct-17 19:12:14

Thanks for the positive stories.

Scroobius shock I barely knew my own name when LO was 6 month old!

Welshrainbow Mon 30-Oct-17 20:08:30

If you do the traditional Pgce route you would qualify for childcare grant from student finance to pay most of your nursery fees depending on your DH salary. The grant shouldn't massively affect tax credits either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now