Talk

Advanced search

Delaying Trick or Treating

(19 Posts)
GrapesAreMyJam Mon 30-Oct-17 16:55:24

I’ve spoken to a few people IRL about this and they seem to think I shouldn’t bother.

I always celebrate Halloween. And make it clear that trick or treaters are welcome to knock on my front door. However tomorrow, my DP is going out at 4pm and I won’t be in from work until 7:30pm.
Would it be reasonable of me to put a sign up on my front door explaining this and that people are welcome to come after this time, or if they have younger children who may be in bed, that they are welcome to come on Wednesday night?

My dog will be in and barking most likely so I don’t want people thinking that I’m just avoiding answering the door :D

PinkHeart5914 Mon 30-Oct-17 16:57:22

I’d leave a tub of sweets outside with my pumpkin saying “take one” that’s what I done last year as we were out that night

trixymalixy Mon 30-Oct-17 16:57:51

The done thing if you are out is just to leave a bowl of sweets outside your front door for people to help themselves. 7.45 is getting a bit late for kids to still be out.

GrapesAreMyJam Mon 30-Oct-17 16:58:18

I had thought of that, however we are in an area prone to people stealing things, and am certain that one person will come along and have the lot!

Moanyoldcow Mon 30-Oct-17 17:09:07

I'd not bother delaying it - I'd have some sweets in case people come after 7.30 but wouldn't bother asking them to come on Wednesday.

Mumof56 Mon 30-Oct-17 17:13:05

we are in an area prone to people stealing things

In that case I wouldn't be advertising my house is empty until x time.

Shredtheevidence Mon 30-Oct-17 17:13:06

If you live in an area where people steal I am not sure putting a big sign on the house saying you are out is a good move. At best you may get some tricksters egging your house knowing you aren't in. At worst you will come home to find you have been burgled and as far as your insurance company is concerned you have advertised that your house in unoccupied.

hiyasminitsme Mon 30-Oct-17 17:14:31

Just leave it for this year

GrapesAreMyJam Mon 30-Oct-17 17:16:16

We have cameras up and an alarm, and very good neighbours who are normally pottering about outside quite late anyway so I’m not too concerned about being burgled. I’ll leave a big bowl of sweets and keep some aside for people that might appear after 7.30! Thank you!

bigchris Mon 30-Oct-17 17:20:34

God just don't leave a pumpkin in the window and no one will knock and if they do no one will answer

KarriPotter Mon 30-Oct-17 17:20:57

I doubt anyone will bother with all the hallowe’en clobber again just ‘cos we missed out Grapes’s house last night’

Ttbb Mon 30-Oct-17 17:23:22

Don't bother

PumpkinSquash Mon 30-Oct-17 17:29:35

Just don't bother. No way would I be putting a sign on the door telling the world and it's dog that I was out!
It's only Halloween trick or treaters, it's not the law that you have to answer.
As for come on Weds - sorry to point out the obvious but that's not Halloween, is it.

Ecureuil Mon 30-Oct-17 17:30:53

I wouldn’t bother. People aren’t going to care less whether you give them sweets or not. They’ll get plenty from other houses. You won’t be blacklisted!

Zeelove Mon 30-Oct-17 17:31:59

Your thinking way too much about this.

BenLui Mon 30-Oct-17 17:32:15

If you have nice neighbours just as them to put the bowl and the notice out at about 5pm.

In our area lots of houses do this (mostly because they are out guising themselves)

GrapesAreMyJam Mon 30-Oct-17 17:35:10

Thanks for the advice everyone! I’ll ask my neighbour to keep an eye out for people when he’s about and he can dish out sweets to people before they knock

MrLovebucket Mon 30-Oct-17 17:51:05

Seriously, don't bother (unless you're trying to win the Lady Bountiful crown). Nobody is going to care less if you aren't there to hand out sweets for Halloween confused

Don't lumber your neighbour with the task of 'keeping an eye out'' for children at your door and giving them sweets. Apart from anything else he's going to look a bit dodgy rushing out to intercept children arriving at your house.

GrapesAreMyJam Mon 30-Oct-17 18:04:34

It’s a fairly small village and most people know everyone. Our driveways are shared and he uses ours to unload his works van while we’re not there so he’d be by the house anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now