Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Quick poll - toddler poo

(16 Posts)
kaytee87 Mon 30-Oct-17 15:52:40

Sorry, I promise I’m not a poo troll blush

My 15mo always has soft poo, it’s never formed at all, it often has undigested food in it. He has a good, varied diet so I don’t think it’s that. It nearly always comes out of his nappy (have tried different sizes and brands) and its about 3 times a day sometimes more.

When he had his 12month check up with a student HV I asked her about it (showed her his nappy too) and she said it can be normal and lacking any other symptoms don’t worry.

I’m still worried about it. Even more so that the nursery he attends 2 mornings a week always mention his soiled nappies as loose and they must see a lot of different baby’s/toddlers poo.

WIBU to get a second opinion from our GP?

Cornettoninja Mon 30-Oct-17 16:10:38

Depends what his diet actually is, lots of fruit and looser poos wouldn't surprise me.

In the absence of other symptoms I wouldn't be rushing him to the GP to be honest. What would they do?

You could try experimenting with his diet at home so trialling wheat free or dairy free for a couple of weeks each but you need to be careful that he's not missing out on the nutritional benefits.

kaytee87 Mon 30-Oct-17 16:14:03

@Cornettoninja I should have added, I’ve cut out fruit for 3 days and it didn’t make a difference. He doesn’t drink any milk, has some in porridge, some cheese and some plain yoghurt- I’m worried about cutting these out as I know they’re important at this age. I could try but I was thinking if it was an intolerance he would have some discomfort and he doesn’t seem to.

Everything I’ve read online says there may be a food digestion issue but I know dr google isn’t great!

dementedpixie Mon 30-Oct-17 16:21:14

Could be toddler diarrhoea. Increasing fat and reducing fibre supposed to help

dementedpixie Mon 30-Oct-17 16:22:33

www.nnuh.nhs.uk/publication/download/dietary-management-of-toddler-diarrhoea-10-1-9/

SleepingStandingUp Mon 30-Oct-17 16:24:28

I would speak to the GP or a qualified HV. I wouldn't start cutting things out of his diet and self diagnosing intolerances

DesignedForLife Mon 30-Oct-17 16:43:56

Try increasing fat and reducing fruit fibres - does he have squash?

kaytee87 Mon 30-Oct-17 16:44:53

@DesignedForLife no, he only drinks water or maybe a small amount of ff milk.

pullonyourjudgypants Mon 30-Oct-17 16:47:09

Mine has a mix ie some solid formed some mushy. Normally contained by a pampers pull up.

Oat bars and porridge he does seem to find hard to digest and leads to softer. Yogurt I can often smell ( he has naturally sweetened little yeos, only 2-3 a week)

Eats a lot of fruit and veg.

I try to vary fibre as it helps. For example weetabix and banana for breakfast, then white bread at lunch. If rice Krispies for breakfast then wholemeal bread for lunch.

Soft I think is fine, it’s not watery or mucus.

kaytee87 Mon 30-Oct-17 16:47:28

@dementedpixie the only foods he has on the list of foods to limit are; peas, sweet corn, wholemeal bread and pulses. Not excessive amounts, although I suppose I could cut them out completely to see if it makes a difference.

pullonyourjudgypants Mon 30-Oct-17 16:49:57

I change him after meals !!!

BrioAmio Mon 30-Oct-17 17:02:04

I thought mine had runny poo until I started potty training and when it’s not squished up in a nappy it looks perfectly normal.

kaytee87 Mon 30-Oct-17 17:04:58

@BrioAmio it’s definitely not that as he’s pooed on the Carpet plenty of times grin plus it’s so soft it comes out the sides of his nappies

kaytee87 Thu 02-Nov-17 11:30:59

Well I took him to the doctor and she has sent samples away for testing. They’re testing for bugs and any malabsorption issues. Fingers crossed it’s nothing serious

MyBalletShoes Thu 02-Nov-17 11:36:11

We had this with DS2. Never had a solid nappy until 2 years plus. Lots of tests, blood and stool, lots of investigations but in the end it was put down to, as other posters have said, toddler diahorrea. Sorted itself by about 2.4 and he was toilet trained at 2.6. It’s a whole lot easier now!!

kaytee87 Tue 14-Nov-17 11:23:07

Quick update. He’s been tested for bugs/viruses/food poisoning etc and all came back clear.

We’re being referred to peadiatric’s for further testing.

God I really hope it’s toddler diarrhoea and not celiac disease or something similar.

Yesterday I had to shower him twice as him and his clothes were both covered in it sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now