Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Ketogenic diet

(8 Posts)
BlueSuffragette Mon 30-Oct-17 15:15:38

Short back story. I have Hashimotos disease which means my thyroid is underactive. I take levothyroxine daily, and recently had vit b12 injections. I feel well now although Dr says my cholesterol is a little high. I eat fish but have not eaten meat since I was a teenager. AIBU to think trying a keto diet will help my health and weight? Anyone done it and got any stories to share?

IceBearRocks Mon 30-Oct-17 15:18:56

Not without hospital supervision!

Stickerrocks Mon 30-Oct-17 15:25:53

Why on earth are you asking a bunch of unqualified strangers this question when you have very specific medical needs? This diet can seriously damage your health and should only be adopted if it is tailored for your own health concerns, such as epilepsy. I required kidney surgery as a direct result of following it. Please discuss it with your doctor and only follow it under proper medical supervision.

MissWeakAnkles Mon 30-Oct-17 15:26:27

Following. No experience sadly, but wanting to try it for my own health issues.

You go first grin

Needadvicetoleave Mon 30-Oct-17 15:27:05

It will, but you'll find it really hard not eating meat!

I do keto to lose weight (also have an underactive thyroid) and without meat I wouldn't get sufficient protein (no soya for broken thyroids!).

BlueSuffragette Mon 30-Oct-17 15:32:59

Thanks for all your replies. Sorry I do intend to discuss the benefits/downside of this with my Dr at my next appointment but was just wondering if anyone has experience of doing it?

Needadvicetoleave Mon 30-Oct-17 15:43:19

I mentioned it to my Dr, he said "yeah, try it, losing weight is good" and wasn't in the least bit bothered by the how!

WoooooOfOnesGroan Mon 30-Oct-17 15:57:32

Vegetarian keto is ridiculously difficult. I think YABU unless you consider adding meat to your diet again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now