Talk

Advanced search

No Doctor's Appointment

(93 Posts)
MickeyLuv Mon 30-Oct-17 11:19:25

AIBU to be fuming at my Dr's?

Have just tried to book an appointment (not particularly urgent but would like to see one) to be told that there are no appointments available! I asked what I am supposed to do, she replied to phone back at 8:00am every morning to try and get one the same day. I can't phone at 8:00am as I am traveling to work at that time, well can I call in to the surgery at 8:00 instead? No I'M TRAVELLING TO WORK!!!

I expected a wait (last time I waited 3 weeks) but to be told I can't book an appointment at all!!! No wonder A&E is so bloody busy everywhere angry

Somewherethatsgreen Mon 30-Oct-17 11:23:55

Can you book it online instead at all? How long is your commute? If it's for a routine appt., then it's highly unlikely all appts. will be gone immediately at 8.00. My surgery has the same system and it took a couple of days, but rang around 9.30 and got an appt for next week (routine, not urgent).

MickeyLuv Mon 30-Oct-17 11:48:57

No online booking unless you call into the surgery and register. To be honest I very very rarely need to see a GP so haven't done this before. Like I said, I expected a 2-3 week wait but no appointments at all is ridiculous. Guess I will be going to the closest pharmacy at lunch time to see if they can help.

MsVestibule Mon 30-Oct-17 11:56:54

I absolutely hate this way of making appointments. Fortunately I can be reasonably flexible when I can go to the doctor (I work locally) but for people in your situation, it’s impossible - even if you were able to phone on your way to work at 8am, they’ll say ‘we have an appointment at 11.30’, what are you supposed to do? Take the day off work for a non-urgent appointment?

Cornettoninja Mon 30-Oct-17 11:58:49

My GP is the same and I'm at work in a job where I can't have a phone by the time they open. Aside from that I'd have to take the whole day to be able to attend a last minute appointment which I'm not guaranteed.

When I was full time it was impossible but now I'm part time I can work with it - but if a drastic solution though!

Couple of options though - can you book in with the practice nurse? The nurse will get a dr if necessary but there's a lot they can deal with and prescribe for. Will your surgery accommodate a telephone consultation? This can be as much as a pain in the arse if you're working but something to consider, the dr will sanction an appointment if they feel it's necessary.

As a last resort solution you might have to go through the practice manager and make a formal complaint. It is tough for GP's at the moment but if you need a doctor you need a doctor and should be able to access one.

As an aside is it something you would consider a private online consultation for? I've heard good things about push doctor.

Outbackshack Mon 30-Oct-17 11:59:36

Same here. Currently suffering with persistent repeat ear infections and physically can't make an appointment. Not online. Just ring at 8...off today so I did. 27 times until 8.03 when they answered to say all appointments gone. Wonderful

Fruitcorner123 Mon 30-Oct-17 12:01:48

Thats ridiculous. I tried to book one today for a months time and was told their appointment schedule wasn't filled in for that far ahead so maybe its a similar issue but not good enough.

Phone as soon after 8 as you can every day and make a nuisance of yourself until they give you an appointment.

You should also be able to contact the practice manager so send an email to them complaining. Ours is phone at 8.30 which is when i am doing the school run and i am usually ringing for one of my kids. Its so frustrating and as a lot of docs appointments are for children and that's the time our primary school and pre school start I can't be the only parent affected.

Butterymuffin Mon 30-Oct-17 12:03:01

Look for your nearest walk in centre and go there. They are usually open till either 8pm or 10pm. They will generally have nurse prescribers or some GPs so you can get a prescription if you need one. You'll have to sit and wait but at least it doesn't have to be during the working day.

HeadsDownThumbsUpEveryone Mon 30-Oct-17 12:03:31

Unfortunately this is now very very common. All the surgeries around me require you to ring on the day for an appointment. You are lucky if you get to speak to someone, and sometimes you get through and they say a doctor will call you back (at an unspecified time during the day) to decide if you really need an appointment hmm most of the time you just keep hitting redial and no one picks up the phone. I appreciate they have too many patients for the amount of appointments but with systems like that is it any wonder people go to A&E (especially when all the local walk in centres have been shut down to save money) angry.

kaytee87 Mon 30-Oct-17 12:16:19

Can you not call via blue tooth while you drive?

Medeci Mon 30-Oct-17 12:19:44

Its really worth trying to make time to register for online booking. I kept putting it off because of having to go into the surgery to do it. So much easier now.
My mother has to see GP fairly often so she books online appointment a month ahead, then cancels nearer the time if not needed.

Caulk Mon 30-Oct-17 12:21:54

If you register with online booking you’ll be seen before then.

Unless you need a referral to someone else, visit the walk in Centre.

Aintgotnosoapbox Mon 30-Oct-17 12:34:11

I would book a day off in advance, and start calling at five to eight.

It's not to do with individual Drs and surgeries, it's to do with lack of recruitment which leads to added pressure and more Drs then leave or won't go into GP. Address the govt underfunding if you can, they are disrespecting the staff and staff feel they cannot offer a safe service and do not wish to continue.

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow1 Mon 30-Oct-17 12:34:29

I'm not seeing the problem here.

Why on earth can't you just ring them at 8am like everyone else has to. If you're on public transport you can ring no problem. If you are driving you can Bluetooth, or pull over or you can arrive at work before 8 and then phone.

MrsHathaway Mon 30-Oct-17 12:34:31

Ours is similar, ridiculously inflexible and assuming you have nothing else to do all day. I registered for online booking and have never looked back. I still sometimes have a wait, but at least I know which day to book off work!

Really, truly, you must register for online booking. Might not help this time (though as pp remarks, might get you in sooner than ringing up!) but will be very useful next time.

Viviennemary Mon 30-Oct-17 12:36:23

A lot of doctors have this system now. But it isn't really ideal for non urgent appointments. And can be quite annoying not getting through or not knowing if you will get an appointment or not and the doctor will call you back. What's the use of that if you're at work a distance away.

You should be able to get a non urgent appointment though but it might not be for a while. Go to a walk in centre. But I didn't really think they were for non urgent cases and they might just say see your GP. Back to square one. Sigh.

PandorasXbox Mon 30-Oct-17 12:41:05

Unfortunately it’s like that at most places. I’ve had to ring whilst in the car on handsfree at 8am many times. Is that an option?

2Brieornot2Brie Mon 30-Oct-17 12:41:58

notsuch Surely that depends on the type of public transport. I’m on the tube from 7.30 to 8.40 everyday so wouldn’t be able to call.

Aintgotnosoapbox Mon 30-Oct-17 12:49:16

Unfortunately the govt doesn't have a plan to reverse the loss of doctors and nurses, both in GP and hospital. Their rhetoric is not true.
The people on the frontline have been fighting for funding and fairness, but the gift will not listen, the results are coming now. What the govt fails to understand is that when they make it a private system, having made it not fit for purpose, the doctors and nurses have already gone. There is no prototype for acute services privately. If the NHS goes, the healthcare system at the level of clinical excellence as we know it goes. There is no other system in place or planned to replace it.
Time to fight for your NHS, doctors and nurses. They are getting tired of carrying it for the govt, they are not political people, they are clinicians.

LIZS Mon 30-Oct-17 12:56:12

Register for online service, isn't this situation exactly what it is for!

BarbarianMum Mon 30-Oct-17 12:59:53

If it's important enough to see a doctor, it's important enough to pause your journey to work for 5 min to place a phone call.

LostMyMojoSomewhere Mon 30-Oct-17 13:04:51

It's not just pausing one journey for 5 mins though is it? It's finding a safe, legal place to stop/get off train and then call constantly over the next 20 or 30 minutes to get through. And then do it all again tomorrow.

And it's obviously not just funding either. I moved from an area where we had the above system - which is ridiculous and designed by a muppet to deter patients - to a well-run surgery where I always get a same day appointment with the doctor of my choice. No obvious differences in affluence between areas - I suspect that one has a decent manager and the other not so much hmm

OP - YANBU and it's utterly rubbish

Slartybartfast Mon 30-Oct-17 13:09:20

I advise to avoid mondays and fridays

MusicToMyEars800 Mon 30-Oct-17 13:10:18

I have the same issue with my doctors, Patients have to phone at 8am on the day to try and get an appointment.
I have got online booking too, but for the past 2 weeks every time I have logged on to try and get an appointment, there are no available appointments angry

Sprinklestar Mon 30-Oct-17 13:10:36

Walk in centre? Pharmacy? Family planning clinic? You can also request an urgent appointment and as far as I know, they have to see you that day. It is frustrating though. I remember standing in the queue outside the Dr's from 8am, calling at the same time, in a bid to get an appointment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now