Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else have a writing 'callus' or 'bump' on their writing hand?

(51 Posts)
RangeTesKopeks Mon 30-Oct-17 10:02:54

I've had a raised bit of hard skin on the inside bit of my middle finger for absolutely ages - ever since I learned how to write. I'm left-handed, if that makes any difference.

Has anyone else got one?

ScipioAfricanus Mon 30-Oct-17 10:21:34

Do you still write a lot? I used to have one at school and uni (right handed) but it’s not noticeable now I mostly use computer for work.

MyOtherProfile Mon 30-Oct-17 10:22:50

Same here. Had one at school and uni but not since I started doing mist of my writing on a screen.

Trailedanderror Mon 30-Oct-17 10:23:09

Yes! And I quite like it as I never had one throughout school and university as I held my pen like a monkey 'wrong'.

iMatter Mon 30-Oct-17 10:27:37

Yes! My right middle finger looks a bit “worn away” by the nail and I have a bump on my top knuckle.

AccrualIntentions Mon 30-Oct-17 10:29:36

I have one, on the left side of my middle finger on my right hand, even though I now don't write much by hand except notes in meeting. It seems permanent after years of school and handwriting pages and pages of notes through 4 years of university!

feelslikearockandahardplace Mon 30-Oct-17 10:30:06

I've got one, I'm right-handed. Occasionally bothers me

megletthesecond Mon 30-Oct-17 10:31:32

10yr old ds has one.

TheLegendOfBeans Mon 30-Oct-17 10:32:07

Ive had it since I was very young but it’s definitely receded now we live in the world of computers and touchscreens.

It never bothered me but it does betray the fact I never learned how to hold a pencil properly as it’s on the third finger of my right hand: I think most folk have them on the second finger grin

NotTheMrMenAgain Mon 30-Oct-17 10:33:21

Yes - I'm also left handed and I've got a pad of what's probably best described as 'thickened skin' above the top knuckle of my middle finder, where I grasp my pen.

It's not hard as such, just thicker/firmer. I've had it since primary school and even though I write a lot less these days it's never showed any sign of going away.

Catwithglasses Mon 30-Oct-17 10:35:20

Yep, developed it as a child -when I actually hand-wrote things with a pen- but it doesn't get much 'reinforcement' nowadays!

RNBrie Mon 30-Oct-17 10:37:11

I still have one, it's smaller than it was 10 years ago. I like it! I'm right handed, late 30s

WorraLiberty Mon 30-Oct-17 10:38:01

Yes, I've had mine since senior school.

RangeTesKopeks Mon 30-Oct-17 10:49:08

Don't think mine's going away either, even though I write a lot less than I did at school and uni. I used to resent it but now I quite like it - I think I've made peace with it and accepted it grin I think my Mum had one when she was a child, but she hasn't got one anymore. My sister used to find it really grim grin

knowwhereyourheadis Mon 30-Oct-17 10:49:13

Yes, on my thumb where the pen rests.

VelvetSpoon Mon 30-Oct-17 10:49:28

Yes, it was known as a 'spod's lump' when I was at uni.

Mine was much bigger when I was still studying, and when I was a trainee and in court all day taking notes for 4 or 5 hours. Now I don't write much, it is barely noticeable.

Mine is on the ring finger of my left hand. I remember thinking in my 20s it was a good job I wasn't getting married because it would have been really unsightly in any ring photos gringrin

Linnet Mon 30-Oct-17 11:09:48

Yes I do, but it seems a bit smaller now than it used to, probably because I don't write as much as I used to, use computer more. Dd2 has one but hers is on her ring finger, she holds her pen weirdly. I don't think dd1 has one at all.

heron98 Mon 30-Oct-17 11:23:34

I have although it's a lot less prominent than when I was at school and wrote all the time

CaoNiMwahaha Mon 30-Oct-17 11:24:04

I have one. The top of my middle finger actually bends to the side!

Roomba Mon 30-Oct-17 11:56:36

Yep - still got mine and I'm 41 now! It is a lot smaller now as I don't handwrite much these days. DS1 has one too. My first finger is actually slightly bent from holding a pencil too.

Just remembered how sore and swollen it used to get sometimes, if I'd had to do a really long piece of handwriting with a freshly sharpened pencil rubbing it raw...

Glumglowworm Mon 30-Oct-17 12:07:03

Yes on my ring finger because I hold a pen wrong blush it's much less obvious now than when I was at school and uni though

JustDanceAddict Mon 30-Oct-17 12:08:29

Yes

DramaAlpaca Mon 30-Oct-17 12:11:16

Yes, I still have mine from school days, and my middle finger on my right hand is bent slightly to the right.

hazell42 Mon 30-Oct-17 12:13:09

I write by hand a lot. I use a stainless steel fountain pen (shaeffer) and the pen just glides over the paper. Barely have to hold it at all. No lumps, callouses or cramps.
I highly recommend

SyrilSneer Mon 30-Oct-17 12:14:13

Me too on middle finger of writing hand since school. Am a nurse so still write reams by hand every day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now