Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask how much you spend on groceries a week?

(47 Posts)
rowtheboats Mon 30-Oct-17 08:58:34

We’re a family of four and I’m concerned we’re spending too much on groceries per week (around £100), just interested to know how much you would consider too much?

wobblywonderwoman Mon 30-Oct-17 09:02:49

€100 so approx £90

If I spend less I usually have to top up mid week

formerbabe Mon 30-Oct-17 09:03:31

About £60 for a family of four. I'm very careful though, shop at Aldi/Lidl, no own brands and don't waste anything.

Cantgetagoodusername Mon 30-Oct-17 09:05:55

Family of four, between £60-£70 a week, this is everything including nappies etc. I meal plan & but just what I need for that week.

rowtheboats Mon 30-Oct-17 09:13:54

I meal plan too, and buy only own brands. DC just have own brand porridge for breakfast all week. I usually make a dish of something like courgette slice that lasts half the week for lunches. However we have meat every night and I usually spend around 1/3 of the shopping on fresh fruit and veg.
Any tips on how to reduce total cost other than that?

Launderetta Mon 30-Oct-17 09:16:05

Probably about £150-200 for 4 of us, varying according to how many friends & family manage to arrive here at mealtimes wink
Caveat - I do buy prepared ingredients & sometimes quality ready meals as chronic illness prevents me from cooking as much as I'd like. For the same reason, we rarely eat out.

Allthewaves Mon 30-Oct-17 09:23:24

£120 for 2 adults and 3 kids. Special diet for kids so substitute milk alone is £16.

Allthewaves Mon 30-Oct-17 09:24:33

I don't buy ready meals and everything fresh but meat is pricey and so is gluten free products

Allthewaves Mon 30-Oct-17 09:25:40

Fruit bill is £30 easily

About £80 for two adults and a five year old, so £100 for a family of four seems ok to me. We cook from scratch and that amount covers packed lunches for the adults too.

LolaTheDarkerdestroyer Mon 30-Oct-17 09:28:40

If I do a “big shop” over £200 including pets,nappies etc but trying to not do that anymore as the extras get eaten within two days and if it’s not there they can’t have it!

Flokidoki Mon 30-Oct-17 09:30:45

We do things a bit differently. Beginning of the month I top up all 'essentials' to last the month, e.g. Passata, coffee, tea, porridge and cereal, frozen veg & fruit, queen, cheese, tofu etc which usually comes to between £100-120.
We then have £35 for each week after that to buy veg, fruit, milk, meat, bread etc.

Which quickly adding up and dividing between four weeks in my head I think is just over £55 a week.

I only manage this though because I batch cook everything that can then be frozen and reheated on a Sunday for the week ahead. Maybe cook from scratch twice a week.

This is for 2 adults and DD6 (plus the food for two cats).

Flokidoki Mon 30-Oct-17 09:32:11

Queen is Quorn!

MusicToMyEars800 Mon 30-Oct-17 09:35:23

About £80 a week, I've switched to being vegetarian and it has saved loads of money and none of us miss the meat.
That also includes all toiletries and household bits eg: washing powder, cleaning products etc.

TinyDoom Mon 30-Oct-17 09:36:03

We're a family of four and I cook nearly everything from scratch and we spend between £70 and £100, depending on the week, what staples we've run out of, etc.

I used to always be comfortably under £100, but I think fruit and veg are getting a lot more expensive! We don't eat meat every day, but when we do, it's high welfare, which is more expensive.

WorraLiberty Mon 30-Oct-17 09:37:21

4 adults, about £70 - £80 including fresh fruit/bread top up mid-week.

I live in a London borough and whilst that means it can be expensive, it also means there is far more competition between shops/market stalls than in a lot of other places.

Anecdoche Mon 30-Oct-17 09:37:27

depends how much we've got available. It has varied wildly - about a decade ago we were going through some really tough times and had only £25 a week to spend, so it was value everything! There have been times when it's been 250 a week!

At the moment it averages maybe 100 a week.

I am, to blow my own trumpet grin very very good at trimming down shopping bills when times are tough.

First thing I would suggest is that you don't eat meat every day. That will reduce your bills straight off.

Bulk out mince based dishes with lentils, that also helps stretch it out.

You say you buy own brands but is that the luxury own brands, standard own brands or value own brands? If you can, go one down, iyswim, so if luxury try standard, if standard see what's ok in value (not the bread! That's rank unless put in the freezer and used only for toast)
Value tomatoes make a good pasta sauce base for example.

Look at your wastage too. How much of what you buy actually ends up in the bin?

Look at your fresh fruit and veg, how much of that could actually be bought frozen (frozen has been proven to retain more nutrients than previously thought)

Look at your portion sizes, 2spoonfuls less for each of you would be hardly noticeable but over a week that's a whole meal saved. Just a handful less makes a difference.

Do you do puddings? If so, reduce or remove, nobody needs a pudding every day.

Snacks? I make peanut butter flapjacks for about 3 quid and cut into tiny squares, far cheaper than buying stuff in. do you buy crisps, biscuits, chocolate? How much of that do you actually need?

Do you always buy the same things? Look around for what is on special offer.

Don't assume that bigger packs of packs marked value actually give you more for your money. Compare prices per 100g. You can really get caught out with their so called special offers and value packs

Do you have a friend you can go halves on bulk buy special offers? That can save money.

There is just loads but I've been typing for ages and I'm concerned this post makes war and peace look like a one page take a break story.

CwtchMeQuick Mon 30-Oct-17 09:46:33

Around £50/60 for 2 adults and a 5yo. It can be as little as £40 depending on what is meal planned for the week. I don’t eat meat but we eat a lot of fresh fish which is expensive and if we have a lot of meals that involve meat and quorn it bumps up the price. This includes all toiletries, cleaning products, breakfasts, lunches and dinners. I could probably get the price down to £30 if necessary.

weegiemum Mon 30-Oct-17 09:52:11

Usually about £110 for 2 adults and 3 teenagers (so practically 5 adults!), dog, cat and guinea pigs. Thats all lunches and dinners.

Every so often there is a bigger shop - yesterday was £180, but that included cleaning things, toiletries and tights for dd1, stock up of tins cupboard.

We could cut back and not buy crisps, fizzy juice etc but we can afford it at the moment.

I meal plan and cook from scratch as much as possible, children make their own lunches out of the fridge, dh works away 2 nights a week so I cook a bit extra and he takes leftovers.

spankhurst Mon 30-Oct-17 09:55:32

£80 ish for 3.

melmax123 Mon 30-Oct-17 09:59:33

What type of fruit do you get for that money? Try buying seasonal fruit and veg if not already. I would be interested to see exactly what you are buying before offering more tips smile

Milkandtwosugars Mon 30-Oct-17 10:01:46

Between £50-£60 from Asda for DH (eats meat every night), 4 and 5 year old, myself and our cat.

I only need to buy meat for DH as me and the kids don’t eat it.

I buy clementines, apples and bananas fruit wise. Sometimes grapes and melon.

I’ll spend maybe £20 on top ups during the week.

Justabadwife Mon 30-Oct-17 10:03:39

Probably about £60-£70 for 3 of us. I dont keep track.
I went to asda at the weekend, I bought all the food, dd a Halloween costume and the new tom gates book, I got sarah Millicans autobiography and DH got guardians of the galaxy dvd boxset.
I spent £92.

rowtheboats Mon 30-Oct-17 10:03:49

@Anecdoche wow thank you for your essay, lots of useful tips! R.e portion sizes- I and my DH run about 50 plus miles a week so I find it hard to cut down on food, especially because I try to make sure he doesn’t get too skinny 😂. I never throw any food away at all, all gets eaten as leftovers for the next day. I will try to cut down on snacks!
Our grocery bill does account for toiletries etc, nappies and all lunches for the whole week- my DH takes leftovers to work. We also never eat out or get takeaway.

HardHatForTesco Mon 30-Oct-17 10:09:49

My tips:-
Slightly reduce the amount of meat by increasing veg and pulses.
Buy seasonal fruit and veg
Frozen fruit great for adding to jellies / crumbles etc
Frozen veg for soup
Use up leftovers
Buy large joints of meat on offer and cut up to use in other dishes
(ie shoulder of pork, topside of beef)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now