Talk

Advanced search

To phone in sick for a leaky radiator?

(34 Posts)
Sweetlikechocolate300 Mon 30-Oct-17 08:36:57

My employee has just done this....

Are they BU?

They've been with me for 1 month. They've already had time off for an illness, plus associated doc appointments, and also a funeral.

This morning I was told (not asked) they would be staying home to wait for repair man. No apology.

How bad can it be that they need the day off?

Would you think they aren't really bothered about keeping the job?

Lethaldrizzle Mon 30-Oct-17 08:38:07

They sound like they are taking the piss

NapQueen Mon 30-Oct-17 08:38:21

Well if they have "rung in sick" when they arent sick surely that contravenes the sickness policy?

If they are able to take a days unpaid leave then they should have asked for that. Demanding is not on!

ghostyslovesheets Mon 30-Oct-17 08:39:26

It's not good no - but neither is posting about an employee on a public forum - just deal with the employee according to your policy on leave

littleblackno Mon 30-Oct-17 08:39:58

Are they in a probation period? I would be discussing thier attendance with them during any probation meetings- and today shpuld be annual leave not sick- unless you need to be looking at sickness capabilities too.

ferrier Mon 30-Oct-17 08:40:43

I phoned in once for a similar problem with water pouring out over the floor. I got a verbal warning for it. Not sure what else I was supposed to do so I have some sympathy with your employee.

stonecircle Mon 30-Oct-17 08:41:30

So they haven’t phoned in sick - they’ve told you why they can’t come in?

Their other reasons all seem legitimate but only you can tell how serious they are about their job. There’s a world of difference between giving you those reasons in a nonchalant, entitled manner or giving them in a ‘I’m so sorry, I realise this looks bad during my first month, I’m not normally like this, can I stay late a few times to make a bit of the time up’ sort of way.

FittonTower Mon 30-Oct-17 08:47:12

I've had to call in at the last minute for a house emergency before. In my case it was branch through window rather than a leak but sometimes you can't safely leave your house unattended for 8 hours while you pop to work. I luckily have a good employer who is very flexible though.
If they are saying they are 'sick' they're taking the piss, if they've said they can't come in because of an emergency then that does happen to everyone from time to time.

LIZS Mon 30-Oct-17 08:48:37

They're not sick! Sounds like a poor absence record for such a short period. What is your absence policy? Will they come in once it is done?

A leaky radiator can normally be turned off/drained into a container until a convenient time for a fix can be arranged. It is not an emergency.

RB68 Mon 30-Oct-17 08:53:16

LIZS that is provisional on them knowing how to do that to be fair not everyone does or has had the privilege of learning from family members.

I would say when they return you need to have a conversation abut expectations. At least its a leaky radiator not a flooded house and sorting one will prevent the other. Maybe ask them to make time up?? But do make it clear re probabtion and what is looked at attendance being one - not sure they can help funerals and illness though to be fair

BarbaraofSevillle Mon 30-Oct-17 08:55:18

Unless they have elderly or other vulnerable people in the house, this is not an emergency. They should turn the radiator or heating off, come to work and then take agreed leave or work at home when they have a plumber appointment.

The funeral and genuine sickness can't be helped, but it does sound like they might need to rethink their priorities and put work a little higher up the list.

AnUtterIdiot Mon 30-Oct-17 08:57:39

What are they supposed to do if they've got a radiator leaking all over the floor and no one else to wait in for a repairman? What if they live in a flat and water is going into the flat below? (We were that flat below a few years ago!)

The way in which they asked is one issue but they may just have been unlucky in their first month.

gamerchick Mon 30-Oct-17 08:59:45

Probation? Haul them in for a meeting about expectations.

Some people take the piss.

LIZS Mon 30-Oct-17 09:01:38

How far from work do they live? Unless they have a first appointment could they come in and await a call when plumber is on the way? A jay cloth and container will usually contain the problem for a few hours.

BulletFox Mon 30-Oct-17 09:04:58

It's definitely not sick leave. If the workload is covered I would expect them to come in asap as soon as it was fixed and take it as absence leave

Doilooklikeatourist Mon 30-Oct-17 09:08:41

They aren’t interested in keeping the job IMHO
Get rid and employ someone else

ShotsFired Mon 30-Oct-17 09:10:14

@RB68 LIZS that is provisional on them knowing how to do that to be fair not everyone does or has had the privilege of learning from family members.

Is that what Google/YouTube is for though? That would be most people's first port of call if they don't have someone they can call to ask. Get it shut off first, then deal with the bigger issue of fixing it. It's turning off a leaky radiator, not brain surgery...

(Apart from it being one of the basic rules of responsible home owning/managing - know where your stopcocks are etc)

TheSnowFairy Mon 30-Oct-17 09:10:38

If you use the Bradford Factor for sickness you would be letting them go right about...

now.

xhannahx Mon 30-Oct-17 09:12:35

Would not be impressed at all if one of our employees did this.

Need a firm disciplinary meeting outlining appropriate uses of "sick leave", and a warning for future conduct.

Next time they would be out.

Mummyoflittledragon Mon 30-Oct-17 09:17:46

That they are not bothered is a fair assumption.

Allthewaves Mon 30-Oct-17 09:20:25

So that's a days unpaid leave then or use annual leave

MrsSchadenfreude Mon 30-Oct-17 09:22:26

This should be annual leave or unpaid leave.

maddiemookins16mum Mon 30-Oct-17 09:23:47

One of ours has a Bradford score of over 300, still here.

HouseholdWords Mon 30-Oct-17 09:28:14

Not sick; no sick leave. It's a day of LWOP (leave without pay). And a questioning of progress/working attitudes.

Mummyoflittledragon Mon 30-Oct-17 09:28:31

How old are they? It may be an assumption that they ‘phone in sick’. Perhaps they are unaware this should be taken as unpaid leave. Anyway they’ll be in for a grilling tomorrow, I imagine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now