Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To LOVE Halloween?!

(57 Posts)
Givemeallthechocolate Mon 30-Oct-17 07:54:59

๐ŸŽƒ ๐ŸŽƒ ๐ŸŽƒ
I just love it, I love the slight chill in the air at that time of year, the excitement of dressing up, Dd always gets really creative with what costume she's going to wear and we usually spend a while planning something really cool to do, like go on a ghost walk, or to hear ghost stories somewhere like English heritage.
The few times we've done trickle treating we've really felt like we've seen a different side of the community, one time of year that residents will unselfishly give sweets and spend the evening running to and from the front door. I love it.

Yesterday we had a Halloween party, so much fun. Our house has pumpkins, those flickering electric tea lights, skeletons, Halloween bunting and the like everywhere.

I feel so excited by this time of year.....

Anyone else?

Myheartbelongsto Mon 30-Oct-17 07:58:56

I hate it and Christmas.

lionsleepstonight Mon 30-Oct-17 07:58:56

I love it too! Been to two parties, a Halloween themed day out and picked a pumpkin!
Plans inplace for tomorrow night's t&t with friends who really go overboard.
Decs at the ready to decorate my office space today and fancy dress outfit all sorted for tomorrow.
What's not to love?

ghostyslovesheets Mon 30-Oct-17 08:00:51

I don't love it but I don't hate it either - I need to start a thread about being meh! About it

I am hoping we will be able to do something this year if dd3 is home by then so that will be a bit special - I do like doing scary zombie make up though

Wightintheghoulies Mon 30-Oct-17 08:03:40

I like the decorations, the silliness of it all and the definitive 'change' in the season. I cannot stand the concept of 'Trick or Treat', it's ridiculous.

Absolutely hate Bonfire Night but I do love Xmas (as long as it doesn't get out of hand).

MamaOfTwos Mon 30-Oct-17 08:05:32

I like Halloween/bonfire week as it's my birthday week grin

I MEGA LOVE CHRISTMAS

Givemeallthechocolate Mon 30-Oct-17 08:08:24

My heart- why?

outedmyselfagain Mon 30-Oct-17 08:14:42

I hate it. Really really hate it.

Givemeallthechocolate Mon 30-Oct-17 08:15:52

Lion sleeps tonight- I need to get into your friendship group! Sounds AMAZING! I don't know anyone else big on halloween, just us!

Wright in- you know, I can understand that, because last year was the first year DD did trickle treating because I wasn't sure about bothering people, but to be fair we only knocked on the doors where the house was decorated.

We're planning on going to Disney to celebrate next year.... I've always wanted to spend Halloween in the states!

Ihatemybarnet Mon 30-Oct-17 08:18:04

I hate it. Worst day of the year.angry really really hate it.

Givemeallthechocolate Mon 30-Oct-17 08:18:53

Mama twos- happy birthday for this week!

Now let's not get started on Christmas! I love love love it. In a completely different way to Halloween! But it does become stressful as DDs birthday is in the same week! So it's doubly expensive!

Givemeallthechocolate Mon 30-Oct-17 08:19:37

Can I ask why the people who hate it do?

LetMeChangeYourSocks Mon 30-Oct-17 08:20:48

Trickle treating? ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

LetMeChangeYourSocks Mon 30-Oct-17 08:21:31

And YABU. Itโ€™s a load of shit.

Warhammerwidow89 Mon 30-Oct-17 08:21:42

I adore it! The house is cover in spooky banners, stickers, pumpkins. We always go pumpkin picking!

Then tomorrow when the decorations go away I can start planning Christmas!

Wightintheghoulies Mon 30-Oct-17 08:22:39

but to be fair we only knocked on the doors where the house was decorated.

I appreciate that, but sadly some children (and parents) just run wild. Plenty of stories about people banging on people's doors, or trying to go around the back to catch those 'hiding' out, or knocking a week early. I'm all for being part of the community, but the concept of knocking on doors for sweets is silly and a bit rude to me. The parties/games are great though.

scrabbler3 Mon 30-Oct-17 08:22:40

I loved it as a child because one of my best friend's parents, who lived in an rambling 1700s house with an old stone staircase that was usually closed off but was opened to us for Halloween, threw fantastic parties for us with ghost stories and apple bobbing. My mum made me a witch costume from an old evening dress of hers, and strange as it sounds, I can recall the feel and smell of the material to this day.

happy2bhomely Mon 30-Oct-17 08:30:02

I like it too.

I love that you say trickle treating grin

I was about 9 when I realised it was meant to be trick or treating! One of my dc had to be corrected a while ago and it made me smile then too.

I understand why people might not like it. I hate New Year. I love Easter though and Christmas is a month long festival in this house!

ZetaPuppis Mon 30-Oct-17 08:33:25

Iโ€™m meh about it too. We tend to โ€˜join inโ€™ with most things but itโ€™s not something I specifically look forward to.
This year, Iโ€™ve said the dcs could have some friends over for a Halloween film and snacks. Something like Monster House.
We ll decorate the front door so trick or treaters are welcome.

We re not from a Christian background so donโ€™t celebrate Xmas either but we still join in. Weโ€™ll go and look at lights, see the local panto, have a family get together on Xmas day. Iโ€™m so glad we donโ€™t do presents as it sounds so stressful but the kids will get a book and chocolate selection box in a stocking. We do some stuff with friends who do celebrate Xmas. Itโ€™s nice and chilled.

LapinR0se Mon 30-Oct-17 08:39:26

I love Halloween too but I love that you say trickle treating more

Givemeallthechocolate Mon 30-Oct-17 08:40:14

Wrightintheghoulis- I won't say it's shocking because that's what my mum used to do with us, every single house would be knocked on, but in my view that's against the whole Halloween spirit. People shouldn't feel that they need to partake if they don't want to.

Givemeallthechocolate Mon 30-Oct-17 08:42:10

Lappinrose &happytobehomely- I've known since I was 10 it was trick or treating but I just can't make it a habit to say it right. It will forever be trickle treating in our house, much to my husbands bemusement!

Ishouldbedoingsomething Mon 30-Oct-17 08:43:57

Love it too - had two parties already. House all decorated ๐ŸŽƒ๐ŸŽƒ๐ŸŽƒ

Love Christmas too

I think from Oct to Dec is my favourite time of the year

Givemeallthechocolate Mon 30-Oct-17 08:43:58

Scrabbled- that sounds like an amazing party! It must be great to tell your kids about how much fun it was when you were a child. Definitely better than trickle treating (sorry!)

Givemeallthechocolate Mon 30-Oct-17 08:47:39

I shouldbe doing something- there's something in the air isn't it! Oh I love it, Wednesday the Christmas menu will be in costa, the following week the lights go on in oxford street, we put the tree up the last week of November. Ah gosh. Now I'm looking forward to Christmas!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now