Talk

Advanced search

To wonder why you use mumsnet?

(63 Posts)
Misty9 Mon 30-Oct-17 00:15:07

For me, it's a sort of social connection I think I'm seeking. An emotional side which is sorely lacking in my marriage. And I like to think I might help people. Sounds a bit sad blush I do sometimes wonder what I could achieve if I used the hours I spend on here more constructively...

Why do you come here?

DeadDoorpost Mon 30-Oct-17 00:20:49

Originally came this year yo get support for Hyperemesis during my pregnancy. Still pregnant, but have stayed to snoop.on other people's lives I guess. I'm a curtain teitcjer in real life as well

MarthaArthur Mon 30-Oct-17 00:26:46

I actually signed up to join in the donor bit but havent actually braved talking there. Instead i chat on differwnt things and only lurk on that bit.

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 30-Oct-17 00:27:58

I came because I needed advice and wanted to connect with people.

I stayed because I'm a gobby know it all.

FormerlyFrikadela01 Mon 30-Oct-17 00:29:31

I originally came for advice on something or other. I stuck around becasue I've learned an awful lot on these boards about so many things. My views so many things has completely changed based on what I've read on here.

FormerlyFrikadela01 Mon 30-Oct-17 00:30:12

Oh and I won't lie, I do love a good bicker on aibu from time to time.

SilverdaleGlen Mon 30-Oct-17 00:30:42

Signed up because Bounty died and was sucked in.

Stayed because I had a nightmare DC2 and needed help.

Got hooked by the support of my long and painful marriage breakdown.

Now my life is calm I just sort of hang around for the shits and giggles and hope that I sound like an old sage that been around a bit. unlikely

ZepellinBend Mon 30-Oct-17 00:31:28

Donor bit?

Originally when I was pregnant and clueless being the first one of my group to have a baby - that baby is now a moody preteen grin

Now more nosiness and fills some sort of social connection as a single parent when the dc have gone to bed and I'm bored and lonely. Take months off sometimes but always come back then find myself sucked in again.

MarthaArthur Mon 30-Oct-17 00:35:37

Donor/conception board

corythatwas Mon 30-Oct-17 00:36:09

Came here because I needed to talk to someone who would understand about having a child with SN. Stayed because I liked the company.

oldlaundbooth Mon 30-Oct-17 00:37:36

Live abroad and it's a massive insight and connection to the UK.

Searched for something when pregnant four years ago, been here since.

notangelinajolie Mon 30-Oct-17 00:37:54

For company. DH works all kinds of unsociable hours and I don't sleep much at night. I love him a lot more since reading all the really heartbreaking stories I read on here.

Movablefeast Mon 30-Oct-17 00:42:26

I also live outside the UK and enjoy the connection with home. I like the randomness, you never know what the latest subject/gossip will be.

TaraCarter Mon 30-Oct-17 00:44:36

I think I googled breastfeeding advice, ended up in Chat, and then never left.

ZepellinBend Mon 30-Oct-17 00:44:46

That makes sense Martha, my mind went to organs which is why I got confused. Best of luck to you flowers

BananasAreGood Mon 30-Oct-17 00:45:12

Came because I have mommy issues.

Stayed because I like a good barney, frankly.

MarthaArthur Mon 30-Oct-17 00:46:40

Thankyou zepellin flowerscake

Dontsweatthesmallstuff Mon 30-Oct-17 00:58:41

Lots of reasons, mainly because there a lot of good advice on here, I do a lot of lurking, also because whatever you are going through, you can find someone else going through something similar and it makes you feel less alone, every now and again I hope I can try to help someone.

Ifearthecold Mon 30-Oct-17 01:00:43

Living abroad so helps broaden connections and something to do that is quiet while DH watches dreadful films on TV.

BulletFox Mon 30-Oct-17 01:02:15

Originally as an ex wanted me to have a baby with him - decided no - but I'm geographically isolated at present so like the chatting

Intomyarms Mon 30-Oct-17 01:04:03

Same reason as you OP.

I like how diverse MN is and there is always a thread (or ten) that interest me.

mylaptopismylapdog Mon 30-Oct-17 01:11:08

Can’t remember why I arrived here but stayed for similar reasons you Misty9 and Dontsweat. I hope sometimes I help someone but also gain a lot from reading about people’s experiences. It is also lovely to see that so many people are prepared to weigh in to offer advice and emotional support to complete strangers.

Came over post-Jeffrey-gate and stayed ever since. A few members started a thread on another ahem parenting site I was on so I nipped over to the dark side and was bowled over by the wit, cynicism & penis breaker thread.thlgrin

*beaker

Dontsweatthesmallstuff Mon 30-Oct-17 01:29:47

<sprays keyboard with wine at penis breaker>

😆😆

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now