Talk

Advanced search

About new clothes?

(12 Posts)
Fishface77 Mon 30-Oct-17 00:01:51

I have clothes. Lots of them. Some with labels still on. This isn't a stealth boast I'm talking cheaper end of the high street.

I won't wear them. I'm trying to keep them new. And I don't even know why!
Does any one else do this?
Have you stopped doing it?

Birdsgottafly Mon 30-Oct-17 00:20:41

I used to.

I started following the Marie Kondo philosophy and bought only things that I really loved and wanted to wear/use. It removes the idea of keeping things for best and buying less.

When I was decluttering, i gave away bags of stuff with the labels still on.

phoolani Mon 30-Oct-17 00:25:07

The Marie kondo thing is a good idea; do you love it? Does it make you feel great? Before that, the mistakes I made buying clothes were because I was buying for the person I wished I was rather than the person I actually was.

Fishface77 Mon 30-Oct-17 07:47:30

Phoolani that's true! The person I wish I was. A little sad really.
And birds that seems so wasteful but I suppose at least someone gets use out of them!

LindyHemming Mon 30-Oct-17 07:54:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SaucyJack Mon 30-Oct-17 08:09:50

It's classic hoarding behaviour. Did you grow up poor, or in a family where nice/fashionable clothes for children weren't prioritised?

I buy too many clothes for my children, but if I look back at my own childhood it's quite easy for me to see what I'm trying to make "amends" for.

I suppose the bottom line is whether it makes you happy or stressed to have excessive amounts of clothing in the house that you don't ever wear. It stresses me out personally, so I am trying to change my shopping habits and declutter the existing clothes.

beachbodyunready Mon 30-Oct-17 08:15:10

I spend my life keeping things for best or later always have. I hate the thought of eating a wearing an item on an occasion that isn’t special enough or that when I really need to use something it’s run out.

In reality this means I live in jeans at the weekend only wearing ‘good’ clothes if I’m not just st home. I have bottles of lovely perfume that I don’t want to waste.

deepestdarkestperu Mon 30-Oct-17 08:19:32

You can’t take it with you, so why not make use of it? You’ve bought it - the money is gone - so what are you achieving by having it sat around in your wardrobe?

fatfingeredfran Mon 30-Oct-17 09:47:44

Yes YABU. As previous posters said this is a waste, you may as well use them. I think this sort of behaviour has its roots in childhood. Perhaps you don’t believe you deserve to use nice things which is a shame.

QueenLetizia Mon 30-Oct-17 09:51:31

I used to do this years ago. I agree with saucyjack, in my house we never had nice clothes. even in primary school i was the one with the unfashionable jeans that had belonged to my brother before me. I used to be embarrassed of my clothes. Then as a young woman in my 20s I was eking out a living and no matter how hard I tried I never seemed to buy the right things so I still found myself feeling inappropriately dressed at occasion events. (Managed work ok though).

I think I faith now that if I need something for an event I will be able to find the right thing at an affordable price. You need to believe that before you throw out the older things and start wearing the new things.

Please do it. If you wear out the clothes you love, you can buy new clothes that you love.

Fishface77 Mon 30-Oct-17 10:05:44

I think a lot of posters saying it's rooted in childhood are right.
My parents didn't really care about fashion/style etc it was more functional. Also the area in which we lived there seemed to be a high proportion of drunks who felt they could comment on the personal appearances of young girls so we all covered up and wore drab clothing.
Don't know why none of us really told our parents to be honest.

QueenLetizia Mon 30-Oct-17 13:54:54

When I was living at home, we had enough of everything except clothes so it has left me with a love of clothes. Now though, finally, I can wear the clothes I love, knowing that I have the means to by other clothes I love.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now