To not understand the fuss about Hallowe'en

(113 Posts)
user1475609541 Sun 29-Oct-17 23:10:20

Can't wait for Tuesday to be over, so not going to be sucked into this rubbish

Kingoftheroad Sun 29-Oct-17 23:12:38

Totally agree I can't stand it

bingbongnoise Sun 29-Oct-17 23:13:11

Good for you. confused

Thanks so much for starting an entire thread to share your hatred for Halloween.

Wanna start one about how shit you think Christmas is next? And then one about how much you can't stand Valentine's day? 🙄

blackteasplease Sun 29-Oct-17 23:13:27

People like stuff to celebrate. I don't find that annoying myself.

bingbongnoise Sun 29-Oct-17 23:13:46

FFS don't join in if you don't want. Nobody is forcing you!

ZenNudist Sun 29-Oct-17 23:15:07

Bah humbug? The dc love it. Not fussed on all the Halloween tat myself but has been lots of fun for ds1 (7) and ds2 (3) this half term. Parties, dress up, sweets, pumpkin carving. All went down well.

ferriswheel Sun 29-Oct-17 23:15:29

Op me too. I hate Halloween. I don't really get the rules and as a single mum don't know how to reciprocate.

toffee1000 Sun 29-Oct-17 23:17:30

bingbong People start threads about stuff they hate all the time on Mumsnet. There are always myriad threads every year about hating summer, for example, and there are also lots of threads like “what things do you HATE that everyone else LOVES” etc.

WhataHexIgotinto Sun 29-Oct-17 23:18:29

Ok then. I like it.

WorraLiberty Sun 29-Oct-17 23:19:55

That makes no sense to me OP

If you're not into it, you're not going to be affected by it are you?

Just let it pass you by and don't open the door to anyone you're not expecting.

I'm not into it either but I love the thought that other people and their kids are going to really enjoy it.

OfficerGrant Sun 29-Oct-17 23:21:41

I'm from NI where Halloween is big. Extra bank holiday the lot. So I miss it.
But I can see how English folk think it's just American. But where did the Americans get it from? Scots and Irish of course

Topseyt Sun 29-Oct-17 23:21:48

I can't stick it either, and am so relieved that my DDs are older now (youngest is 15).

I endured it with a fake smile when they were little. They've outgrown it now and I no longer have to bother with it.

Creamswirls Sun 29-Oct-17 23:24:16

I don’t like it because I like my holidays/events to celebrate something, or to mean something what does Halloween actually celebrate? What does it actually stand for?

confused

GreenTulips Sun 29-Oct-17 23:27:31

It's tradition

It's changing to become a fun event in dark winter night

Nothing wrong with people gathering together and having some harmless fun

Willow2017 Sun 29-Oct-17 23:28:40

So?

Leave it to the rest of us who love it and have been celebrating it for donkeys years.

ferris its pretty simple.
Put out a pumpin or decorations and kids will come to the door.
Have a bowl of sweets to hand out to the kids, ask for a joke or something to earn the sweets.
Or
Take your kids out dressed up to houses with decorations/pumpkins and have them tell a joke for the sweets.
Go home loaded up with loot for months. thlsmile
Thats it.

GrockleBocs Sun 29-Oct-17 23:28:41

I'm not a fan but the dc and all their friends do it so we do the pumpkins and the trick or treating and fake the enthusiasm.
The one good thing about the rise in it is the general convention that you don't bother houses without pumpkins.

SapphireSeptember Sun 29-Oct-17 23:32:01

It's the one day a year that the way I dress is socially acceptable, if anyone asks me why I'm wearing a cloak I can say it's part of my costume. thlgrin We can only blame ourselves for trick or treating, although the term originated in the USA it's based on our traditions of 'souling' and 'guising'. I do like Halloween, although I also understand why others don't.

Venusflytwat Sun 29-Oct-17 23:35:45

We don’t celebrate it, I don’t like anything it “stands” for. Completely pointless celebration of tat smile

HerRoyalNotness Sun 29-Oct-17 23:39:41

I don't like and never did it, but now we are in the US, we let the kids dress up and go beg for candy and put candy out at ours.

This year I needed cheering up so I got a massive spiderweb I've hung from the house with spider lights. I have arachnophobia and yes that night I had. Nightmares about spiders 😂😂

MarthaArthur Sun 29-Oct-17 23:41:18

Where i am from halloween is fab people really get into the spirit. I moved to the uk as a child and in the south it was good fun parties decorations films and treats. Now i moved to yhe north and no trick or treaters or parties or many decorations or costumes anywhere. Its very sad and joyless.

SapphireSeptember Sun 29-Oct-17 23:43:06

Creamswirls

I don’t like it because I like my holidays/events to celebrate something, or to mean something what does Halloween actually celebrate? What does it actually stand for?

It was originally called Samhain, which was a Celtic festival to celebrate the dead and is also believed to be the night when the veil between this world and the next is thinnest, and was then taken over by the Christian church who added an extra two days to the festival, (All Hallows Eve, All Saints' Day, All Souls' Day.)

Incidentally, my great grandmother, who I was very close to, died on Halloween, so I like to remember her.

dimondjedi9 Sun 29-Oct-17 23:46:49

I love it and so does my ds but my partner can’t stand it, he sees it as a form of begging and worries about our son knocking on strangers doors because you don’t know who is behind that door. Every year we have the same argument, usually our daughter takes ds trick or treating but she’s at uni so it looks like he won’t be participating this year as dp is adamant he won’t take him!

WorraLiberty Sun 29-Oct-17 23:50:52

Why aren't you taking him dimond?

lalliella Sun 29-Oct-17 23:52:33

No-one on here appears to be able to say what is actually being celebrated by it......

dimondjedi9 Sun 29-Oct-17 23:54:14

I can’t unfortunately I’m disabled so can’t walk the streets otherwise I would, I’m waiting to have an electric wheelchair which will enable me to take him out, fingers crossed next year I’ll have one, the waiting list is ridiculous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now