Talk

Advanced search

Holiday woes

(5 Posts)
Jellyloveforever Sun 29-Oct-17 19:53:09

Hi everyone,

I work as a before and after school nanny to a family with 3 kids, youngest is a baby.
I do have several years experience with children, working in different childcare settings, as well as in a similar nanny role while I was studying previously. The family I work for now are lovely, and have been nothing but decent but often I feel they don't really value this experience IFYSM especially as the dad is often there while I'm working and I feel a bit micromanaged. He is very nice but I find it frustrating!
My question is: what would most people expect to happen re holidays in such a job. I completely forgot about half term, aw my uni doesn't have one. When I remembered (last week, so a week before the break) and mentioned it to the mum to see if they needed any extra hours done, she said they didn't need me all week. In reality I think this is ok with me as I have a few days I want to take after Christmas, so would appreciate flexibility on both sides. However I'd like to hear from nannies/ parents who use childcare what the norm would be here, as I don't want to appear cheeky in looking for days off. Also I felt a bit shocked to be told without warning of a week off without pay, so was wondering if I'm being unreasonable on that?

I don't have a contract, and am not paying any tax as it's so few hours and falls below the threshold so maybe it's just how these things go . The family are genuinely lovely, so maybe it's me!

Jellyloveforever Sun 29-Oct-17 19:54:01

Sorry deleted a bit in the middle, as this was looking a bit long but think it still makes sense blushblush

DoveBlue Sun 29-Oct-17 20:22:25

I pay my nanny a salary assuming x number of hours a week times 52 divide by 12. That is what she gets paid each month plus any additional hours worked she gets in the following months pay.

She has x number of days off out of them she chooses half and half I choose. She always ends up with extra days off e.g. if grandparents have them etc. I still pay her.

Jellyloveforever Sun 29-Oct-17 21:16:43

Thanks dove I'm thinking I'm not being unreasonable!

DoveBlue Sun 29-Oct-17 21:30:15

YANBU by the sound of it.
My nanny is a valued employee (although we treat her more like a member of the family) who I trust with my kids. She has my respect and deserves to be paid appropriately for the service she provides.
If your employer was using a nursery they would have submit hours they wanted over a month in advance and pay during their holdiays to keep space.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now