Talk

Advanced search

To give my 11month old a pillow?

(13 Posts)
Loveamassdebate Sun 29-Oct-17 15:22:44

Is that month until he's a year old going to make that much difference to his ability to cope with a pillow?
He sleeps on his stomach and has since he was very young. I tried to put him on his back but he just gagged on mucus all the time so I gave up.
He doesn't sleep well, he is in a cot in his own room and I put him down after feeding him to sleep. He wakes up a lot and we cuddle him back to sleep and put him back in his bed until he wakes up after we've gone to sleep then I can't be arsed anymore so just lay in bed and feed him and he stays there, I feed him as and when he stirs.
I don't want him in my bed anymore and think a pillow would help, he seems to like being snuggled in a bit.
What kind would I go for? Soft; firm etc?

Wooders09 Sun 29-Oct-17 15:30:35

You can get specific 'toddler pillows. Try somewhere like Mothercare. If you're concerned about using it before 12mths then put the pillow under the fitted bed sheet so it can't be moved about.

PodgeBod Sun 29-Oct-17 16:19:19

I don't see a problem with it but I remember thinking a pillow would help my little one sleep and it didn't, at all, but of course now she can't sleep without one.

OlennasWimple Sun 29-Oct-17 16:21:05

Have you tried tilting the cot so that the head end is slightly raised up? (Just put a couple of sturdy books under the legs)

That might help raise his head without using a pillow

Also, if he likes being snuggled up, he might prefer a grobag to sheets?

Loveamassdebate Sun 29-Oct-17 16:44:52

Thanks. I have tried putting the pillow under the mattress Olenna'sWimple which he seems to like but thought I'd try just under his head. Might give his grobag another go. He seems to not like having his legs under covers tjough.
Basically I imagine nothing will work but worth a go!

FannyTheFlamingo Sun 29-Oct-17 16:59:22

No advice, just in almost exactly the same situation here. My 11 month old wakes every 2 hours and by the 3rd time I give in and put her in our bed. It feels like she'll never get the hang of sleeping through and seems to be getting worse the older she gets! I'm going to try a pillow now!

StepAwayFromGoogle Sun 29-Oct-17 17:00:57

OP, I think DD had a pillow before she was 12 months. We used one of ours which was practically flat. One night we ran out of her pillowcases so substituted with a silk one of mine (used to tame my frizzy hair, not because I'm a princess!). Of course since then she won't have anything but silk and uses it as a comforter. We have to take her pillow with us everywhere. BUT it did make her sleep much better x

Loveamassdebate Sun 29-Oct-17 22:36:46

Haha @stepawayfromgoogle i love that she has a silk pillow! He's woken and is asleep on my husband. But that's not bad for him.
I think I need to just be a bit less lazy and keep putting him back in his bed but I'm just so tired. I have a 2yr old too so it's hard sometimes. With her I "sleep trained", I would sit next to her cot and stroke her head/back, pick her up if she got dead upset but then put her back again. I can't imagine doing that with my little boy.

PippaPug Sun 29-Oct-17 23:08:46

If he wants to be snuggled what about a big sleepy head - lots of children I know like them because they can snuggle all in on them!

blackteasplease Sun 29-Oct-17 23:11:54

I did with dc1 at 11 months. I was trying pretty much everything to get her to sleep well.

With dc2 he didn't want a pillow until he was way over 1, despite being given one around about turning 1. He would just take his head off it so I stopped putting one in the cot.

Dontknowwherethelineis Mon 30-Oct-17 01:02:54

We had a memory foam pillow from clevamama that has airholes in it and says it is approved for babies. It's very firm but both my dc have done really well with it.

Dontknowwherethelineis Mon 30-Oct-17 01:04:39

www.clevamama.com/clevafoam-baby-pillow.html

Tiggertop Wed 15-Nov-17 00:02:36

I'm trying to decide what to do, for the first time in a fortnight my one or old DD has fallen asleep before midnight. She's been struggling since I moved out of her bedroom and battling sleep every night. Problem is she's fallen asleep on a giant stuffed elephant like this: www.beddinginn.com/product/Super-Cute-Long-Nose-Elephant-Grey-Soft-Plush-Pillow-12160964.html?c=GBP&gclid=CjwKCAiAxarQBRAmEiwA6YcGKOUCbhn0r7Up7UFakL2cO9OLHuLrKi5NJjHNcWOS1SZejHmVcBizWBoCC4oQAvD_BwE

She looks really content but I'm scared to take it away! Is it unsafe to leave her on top of it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now